The Student Room Group

Is Internet dating socially acceptable?

Poll

Is internet dating acceptable?

Do you think dating sites are acceptable these days? Or is the stigma still attached to it?

Would you try internet dating in the future? or have you tried it yet?

At what age should a person start contemplating internet dating? :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dekota-XS
Do you think dating sites are acceptable these days? Or is the stigma still attached to it?

Internet dating is for people who can't get laid/can't meet potential partners in the real world. Instead of confronting their fears and going out to meet people, they mask the problem by hiding behind a computer in order to try and meet the opposite sex, but then when they meet up things don't work out because both parties are different than expected.

Internet dating is for socially inept losers. My advice is to go out into the REAL world and confront your fears and actually approach some people you fancy. Off the computer and out your door and go and start talking to people.
Reply 2
I personally don't use them as I prefer to get to know people in person, but there are great relationships out there that were initiated via dating sites, which makes them acceptable.
They might still have a stigma attached, but it doesn't matter as long as people keep finding compatible partners and sometimes even the love of their life.
Reply 3
Maybe if you're like in your 40s, otherwise no, get out and meet some people in person.
I'm on a dating website. Living in a town that seems to breed chavs like an unneutered rabbit means I have to look elsewhere for potential relationships/dates.

Yes, I'm aware that to some, it makes me 'socially inept' or a complete weirdo, but thankfully I won't be dating someone so closed minded!
Original post by Trouser_Snake
but then when they meet up things don't work out because both parties are different than expected.

Bull****.
Don't see anything wrong with it, lots of people develop great relationships offline after meeting online. As usual, the Luddites come out of the woodwork and claim that it doesn't work compared to "tried and tested" methods. :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes. Look how many IRL relationships fail hard, so how can anybody slag off those who found their husbands or wives on Bebo.

For the record, I don't internet date but IRL daters can no longer hate on the internet daters. It's not 1992 anymore. Dating has evolved with the times
Reply 8
Original post by Dekota-XS

What do you define as Internet dating? Going out on the Internet with the intention of finding someone? Realizing that someone you know only on the Internet is 'the one' for you? Holding dates via the Internet? It's a bit of an ambiguous question.
Original post by Trouser_Snake
Internet dating is for people who can't get laid/can't meet potential partners in the real world. Instead of confronting their fears and going out to meet people, they mask the problem by hiding behind a computer in order to try and meet the opposite sex, but then when they meet up things don't work out because both parties are different than expected.

Internet dating is for socially inept losers. My advice is to go out into the REAL world and confront your fears and actually approach some people you fancy. Off the computer and out your door and go and start talking to people.

This piece of e-psychology is so poor, Ralph Wiggum could have typed it :lolwut:
Reply 10
yes

/thread
There is nothing wrong with internet dating sites.
It's stigmatised far too much IMO.
We live in a modern age. Ppl have evolved to adapt to the circumstances they are found in :tongue:
I honestly would much prefer to get to know a guy in person before starting a relationship with him, but, having been exceedingly close to going out with a guy from the internet very recently, my view of internet dating has changed.
It's no longer something only for desperate ppl - it appears there's always a chance of coming across that one in a million person via the internet. In fact, though I continued to be dubious/suspicious of the situation, said guy explained that he was a real person, that we were conversing through a medium and we would never have met otherwise :smile:
I don't regret getting to know said guy one little bit, and though it didn't work out as we both would've hoped I wish said guy all the very best, and hopes he gets everything he wants to achieve in Life :smile:

Obviously, there are a plethora of creepy wierdos on the internet - so it's always wise to be exceedingly cautious :tongue:
I guess that provided you're careful and dont get obsessive over it, internet dating is a way forward for ppl with very little self-confidence. In fact, it'd probably be a good thing if a person isn't amazingly attractive in person, yet they get to know a person totally compatible to them via internet dating, they get to know eachother and find eachother practically perfect in every way because they know their personality before judging them based on their appearance - which is something done soooo often nowadays :tongue:
I suppose there are pros and cons to everything - internet dating is no different, imo :smile:
Though I'd find the idea of using dating sites myself weird, I'm not enough of a 'socially inept loser' to buy into the bull**** that most people think on the matter with regards to all people using it being complete failures that need to 'go out and meet people'.

If it works for other people then great.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
This piece of e-psychology is so poor, Ralph Wiggum could have typed it :lolwut:

What makes you say that?
Reply 15
Personally I think it's fine, but it isn't socially acceptable from what I hear when it's been brought up, no. Most people see it as "sad" and such.

Funny a bunch of people here are saying people should go into the real world and yet they're on a forum. :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Who cares if it is or is not? You should not live your life according to what others think
Reply 17
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it, but there is still a certain stigma attached to it.

Posing this question on an internet forum is always likely to skew the answer more towards it being considered acceptable. Now, while I think it should be seen as a legitimate method of dating, I have to say that - like anything - it's relatively recent so a lot of people are still wary of it, or deride it as a poor excuse for "real life" dating.

I think the problem with it comes when people feel the need to justify why they use internet dating sites. Very few people say "I use it, so what?" or "yes", which should be the answer if it was broadly socially acceptable. Now, while that might not prove anything about how socially acceptable it is, it still shows that people believe there is a stigma attached to it. If you went out to a pub specifically to look for someone, nothing would be said, whereas to go on an internet dating site is still considered "weird" by many. Likewise, a lot of people are reluctant to reveal that they met on an internet dating site.

Personally, I think the stigma will be shed entirely and it'll be socially acceptable sooner rather than later, as soon as it's considered a natural way to look for potential partners by the majority, rather than indicative of social awkwardness; in the same way that people going online to shop instead of going out is no longer seen as them being a recluse.
(edited 12 years ago)
lol....nowadays anything is acceptable but that doesn't make it right :tongue:
Yeah, want to give me and you a chance?

Quick Reply

Latest