The Student Room Group

Is Internet dating socially acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tens of millions of people use it and over time its become quite mainstream- there's nothing wrong with it. Plus a lot of people in the mid 20s early 30s use it its not just for the geriatrics.
In the future it will be deemed weird not to have met your partner in an online/artificial environment.
How can something which makes you LESS sociable (i.e. sitting in front of a computer), be considered 'SOCIALLY acceptable'??? Think about it and use your heads people...
I'm not sure whether society fully accepts it yet, but I have no problem with it. It personally isn't a form of dating that I would like to use, but I understand it works well for many people. :smile:
I don't have a problem with it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable in telling people that I internet date if i ever did
Original post by Dekota-XS
Do you think dating sites are acceptable these days?

Yes

Or is the stigma still attached to it?

As long as it works and everything remains above board I don't see the issue.

Would you try internet dating in the future? or have you tried it yet?

Yes and yes

At what age should a person start contemplating internet dating? :colondollar:

Whenever they feel like it
Original post by Trouser_Snake
Internet dating is for people who can't get laid/can't meet potential partners in the real world. Instead of confronting their fears and going out to meet people, they mask the problem by hiding behind a computer in order to try and meet the opposite sex, but then when they meet up things don't work out because both parties are different than expected.

Internet dating is for socially inept losers. My advice is to go out into the REAL world and confront your fears and actually approach some people you fancy. Off the computer and out your door and go and start talking to people.

I agree but surely if one is picky, the internet is the place where you are more likely to find someone for you.
How can something which makes you LESS sociable (i.e. sitting in front of a computer), be considered 'SOCIALLY acceptable'??? Think about it and use your heads people...

Why should sociable=socially acceptable?
If your desperate, And your last resort is to bid for a chinese woman from a huge selection then I see no problem.
Thirty years ago, the Internet was for general nerds. If Facebook existed in those days and a normal person had over 1k friends, they'd be seen as lame. Even blogging was seen as 'gay'. These days, all the cool people have a Twitter account divulging every time they take a **** and people actually care about it which I find harder to believe than having success dating online.
Reply 30
Excuse moi while I take a dump and blog the details about it on my twitter :u:

You guys better start following me on twitter :awesome:
What makes you say that?

This is a TSR cliche I completely hate but I'm going to say it anyway: Generalization. You made one :yes:

Perhaps in the past, internet dating was the sole preserve of the socially inept, but not anymore :nah:

People who have high flying careers who are too busy or too proud to go to nightclubs sign up to hugely successful sites like match.com, e-harmony.com and Beautifulpeople.com to seek partners in their lunch breaks. Other people who just can't find anyone suitable in their local area use the internet to cast their net wider and increase their chances of finding a decent partner

You are right that the socially inept are more comfortable with the internet, but those who are socially inept aren't particuarly female/looking for dates/serious relationships. They're normally looking for sex. So that's why I disagreed with you :colone:
Reply 32
Original post by Dekota-XS
Do you think dating sites are acceptable these days? Or is the stigma still attached to it?

Would you try internet dating in the future? or have you tried it yet?

At what age should a person start contemplating internet dating? :colondollar:

Why does it matter?

If you're internet dating you failed at getting into society, so it's got nothing to do with society.
Reply 33
I met my last girlfriend online (not on a dedicated dating site, mind you, but on a message board pretty randomly), and we were together for a year. Best damn relationship I ever had.

Having said that, I did feel a bit awkward about letting people know how we met, so I always tried to avoid the subject when it came up. :tongue:
it's perfectly fine.
Hmm... well... I have a 19 month old daughter with someone I met on a student forum... *ahem*... so I'd say it can definitely work quite well. But, then, neither of us were looking for "internet dating", we just happened to get talking and clicked, and over time it became obvious that not meeting would be the stupid decision.

I think in those cases, if you are genuinely getting on well with someone, it would be frankly retarded to disregard it as a possibility just "because it's the internets". I certainly would have missed out on the two best things that have ever happened to me.

I do find it slightly more odd when people sit down at their computer and log on specifically with the intention of finding a partner... it just doesn't seem quite the natural way to find a relationship. That has nothing to do with it being the internet, though, I'd find it just as weird if someone dolled up and went out to a bar / club / pub to "find a relationship" (going on the pull is a different matter, no one goes on the pull looking for a meaningful relationship). I just think that ANY real relationship should, ideally, start with no motives, no intentions.. without one or both people "looking for something"... just people talking, getting to know each other and then having it develop into something without them even realising.

:lolwut: call me a romantic. Or summat. Haw haw.
Reply 36
Many ppl don't accept it. I like it and somehow accept it. The only thing which sometimes go wrong is that when it comes to dates ppl turn to be creepy while in real dating the risk is less.

I think it will be a very popular way of finding a bg/f in the future because for many, finding the right one is getting harder in some terms. It is not like when our parents get married so simply and unconditionally. There are many who went through age and they are still single. Internet dating is a good choice specially for such ppl.
Reply 37
Original post by Bhumbauze
Hmm... well... I have a 19 month old daughter with someone I met on a student forum... *ahem*... so I'd say it can definitely work quite well. But, then, neither of us were looking for "internet dating", we just happened to get talking and clicked, and over time it became obvious that not meeting would be the stupid decision.

I think in those cases, if you are genuinely getting on well with someone, it would be frankly retarded to disregard it as a possibility just "because it's the internets". I certainly would have missed out on the two best things that have ever happened to me.

I do find it slightly more odd when people sit down at their computer and log on specifically with the intention of finding a partner... it just doesn't seem quite the natural way to find a relationship. That has nothing to do with it being the internet, though, I'd find it just as weird if someone dolled up and went out to a bar / club / pub to "find a relationship" (going on the pull is a different matter, no one goes on the pull looking for a meaningful relationship). I just think that ANY real relationship should, ideally, start with no motives, no intentions.. without one or both people "looking for something"... just people talking, getting to know each other and then having it develop into something without them even realising.

:lolwut: call me a romantic. Or summat. Haw haw.

I voted you up! you are the man:hello:
I think people dating coincidentally through online games/chat rooms is fine by me, if they are happy then that's ok.

But I feel internet dating sites where you meet up with people with same interests for a relationship should really be limited to the ages of 40+.
I wouldn't go out of my way to date someone from the internet but I guess if you get chatting to someone and you click, then why not meet up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending