Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone had counselling? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I think I need counselling.

Has anyone here been through it? I'm talking NHS stuff, not private counsellors or anything. I can't afford to go private.

What were your experiences of it? Most importantly, did it help?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think you need it? :erm:

It helps more than you might think, just having a neutral person to talk to and help you out with anything bothering you really takes the issues off your mind and helps you clear your head a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Counselling for what? :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    i had counselling with uni... its nice to talk to someone who you dont know and who will listen and help you figure out what's making you feel the way you do.

although it can be a bit short-term, unless you regularly visit them. but tbf, everyone reacts differently to it so it's worth giving it a go regardless of anyone else's experiences as long as you go with an open-mind and get a good counsellor, you should get something out of it.

hope you feel better soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobia_s)
    Counselling for what? :hmmmm2:
    I just want to hear about people's experiences of counselling in general, they don't have to share what it was they had counselling for... I just want to know if it helped at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I just want to hear about people's experiences of counselling in general, they don't have to share what it was they had counselling for... I just want to know if it helped at all.
    Fair enough. When you mentioned NHS I started thinking whether it was health-related, psychological etc..

Well I would advise it as long as you don't mind opening up to an initial stranger. Especially if you haven't got anyone else that won't take a neutral standpoint when listening to you. It'll help you loads. And be ready for tons of "homework" (depending on what your issue is) lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I contacted my uni regarding their counselling service around January. I had to fill in a questionnaire, and then I had an initial appointment. The woman I saw was absolutely lovely, and at first I was really awkward and nervous and I wasn't sure how to just talk to a complete stranger, but she really helped. It's so nice being able to talk about everything that you need to with someone who you don't know, you don't have to see again and who is completely neutral towards whatever your problem is. I actually didn't return for any more sessions, because I felt so much better after the initial appointment, but I'm aware that I can return for more sessions if I need to, which is great to know. I'd recommend it. I was really scared about going, about the stigma of needing a counsellor etc, but I realised I had nothing to worry about once I was there.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need counselling when H&R has an anon function?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobia_s)
    Fair enough. When you mentioned NHS I started thinking whether it was health-related, psychological etc..

Well I would advise it as long as you don't mind opening up to an initial stranger. Especially if you haven't got anyone else that won't take a neutral standpoint when listening to you. It'll help you loads. And be ready for tons of "homework" (depending on what your issue is) lol
    Well, I don't know how it'd be described really. I just have residual issues left over from a kind of recent (ish) break up and I think I just need to talk it over with someone. I seem to blurt it all out whenever I'm with someone who hasn't heard about my complete failure in relationships, so I think it's something I need help with.

Basically, I feel like a complete and utter failure! I guess counselling might help? Not sure.

I had counselling through uni, as the user above me (name removed incase you want to remove it later on) said I really like having someone to talk to who is neutral to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    I had a fair bit for anxiety issues that were affecting far too much of my life.

I found it helpful to have fresh non-judgemental ears who wouldn't just say what I wanted to hear like I felt my friends were and wouldn't worry like my boyfriend or parents etc.

To be honest, I felt a lot of the help was actually just me having to talk openly and honestly. Admitting there were problems. Working out what they were and why they were affecting me so much.

It's worth a go but definitely give it a few sessions before you judge it. I despised it the first couple of times just because I felt awkward and self conscious. Nice to have some weight lifted from you.

Give me a PM if you want to chat about it any more!

ReputationRep:
    I've literally just started having counselling on Monday, so glad I did it and would say if you feel as if you need it just bite the bullet and go get it, helps so much. Good luck with whatever you're going through

ReputationRep:
    yhh i got free cookies and drew flowers fun times

ReputationRep:
    im currently having psychosocial counselling, soon to be transferred to CBT. i found that at first, during the diagnostic phase, it was extremely helpful. however after all that it just became total ****. hopefully you wont have the same experience, and hopefully CBT wont be the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Well, I don't know how it'd be described really. I just have residual issues left over from a kind of recent (ish) break up and I think I just need to talk it over with someone. I seem to blurt it all out whenever I'm with someone who hasn't heard about my complete failure in relationships, so I think it's something I need help with.

Basically, I feel like a complete and utter failure! I guess counselling might help? Not sure.
    Aww I get you though :console: Don't beat yourself up about it. You're NOT a failure. Thinking negatively about yourself could lead to decrease in self-esteem; and then you'd see what it means to be a failure.

Reckon you should go for it. You'll probably be a bit on the defensive at first; but be ready to "bare your soul" as the counsellor can help you best when you're not with-holding anything. Just remember: "You're not being judged AT ALL" That should help you feel more comfortable. Trust me you'll love your results

ReputationRep:
    Counselling isn't therapy in my opinion. It's just talking to a neutral stranger. Personally I didn't find it at all helpful because when stuff was brought up in sessions the counsellor was way in over her head and didn't know how to react or what to suggest. The sessions would just end in an awkward silence. Her not knowing how to react, me feeling bad for making her feel bad. They're not really qualified to deal with anything major, if it's anything more than anxiety or mild depression they tend to be pretty rubbish.

I now see a psychologist who is a million times better because as well as the usual listening stuff she is also qualified to provide advanced therapy techniques such as Dialectical Behaviour Therapy which is what I am currently receiving.

If it's a major problem I'd invariably recommend pushing to see a psychologist, if it is something relatively minor that you just want to get off your chest a counsellor may suffice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Counselling isn't therapy in my opinion. It's just talking to a neutral stranger. Personally I didn't find it at all helpful because when stuff was brought up in sessions the counsellor was way in over her head and didn't know how to react or what to suggest. The sessions would just end in an awkward silence. Her not knowing how to react, me feeling bad for making her feel bad.
    THIS.

Yes I went for my first time yesterday and I was avoiding it for a few years because I didn't understand how talking about my problems would help.
    It actually helped a bit to talk about things with someone and to them to not be judgemental.
    It was 45 mins long and she was in front of me and a box of tissues on the table ready for me.
    The only negative thing was my eyeliner getting smudged.lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's supposed to be therapy really. Right from the outset my counsellor informed me she couldn't give me the answers, she could just explore things a bit with me. For a lot of people it's just a safe neutral environment to talk about everything and be prompted to think carefully about things. Obviously that's not suitable for many people's problems while for others it's enough.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.