Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone had counselling? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Counselling isn't therapy in my opinion. It's just talking to a neutral stranger. Personally I didn't find it at all helpful because when stuff was brought up in sessions the counsellor was way in over her head and didn't know how to react or what to suggest. The sessions would just end in an awkward silence. Her not knowing how to react, me feeling bad for making her feel bad.

I now see a psychologist who is a million times better because as well as the usual listening stuff she is also qualified to provide advanced therapy techniques such as Dialectical Behaviour Therapy which is what I am currently receiving.

If it's a major problem I'd invariably recommend pushing to see a psychologist, if it is something relatively minor that you just want to get off your chest a counsellor may suffice.
    But counsellors are supposed to refer you to psychologists when they're in over their heads? (unless there was a bit of a hyper-ego on her part) She didn't do that straightaway? :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    There's different sorts... CBT gives you lots exercises to do whereas the counselling I had at uni was more like structured talking to someone and coming up with your own answers.

They both seemed to help - different problems, different times.

IMO you might as well go for it if you feel like you've got stuck in some way.

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting on a phonecall from someone who's going to ask me questions and then assign me a counsellor. Been through the phonecall once before but never got to the counselling stage because I was too scared to go D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobia_s)
    But counsellors are supposed to refer you to psychologists when they're in over their heads? (unless there was a bit of a hyper-ego on her part) She didn't do that straightaway? :hmmmm2:
    Things are never simple with the mental health services, waiting lists, mismanagement, egos, lost paperwork, you name it.

At first she didn't want to submit a referral as she thought she could handle it, it was only after a few weeks that she realised she wasn't able to help me. I ended up being with her 5 months because every time a referral was put in the inevitable reply was that all of the available psychologists in the area had full case loads and couldn't take on any extra patients. In the end i degenerated into a full blown episode of psychosis and ended up trying to drown myself in the marina boat loch. Was pulled out of the water unconscious by the fire brigade and sectioned in hospital. After that suddenly everyone became magically available and I was given a CPN, Psychologist and Psychiatrist to see. Even then they weren't that helpful. If you ever have the displeasure of seeing the mental health services in Hull I recommend you move to another city.

I'm now back home and my current team is a million times better as they're specifically trained to deal with people who have psychosis.

ReputationRep:
    I think it does depend on what the problem(s) are and how ready you are to deal with it, but with the right person and at the right time it can be hugely beneficial. It sounds like it would definitely be worth a go for you at least (you've got nothing to lose by trying it!).

I've had a lot of counsellors over the years, some NHS, some private, and now I've been seeing a counsellor at a hospice since August. Some counsellors I just haven't found useful at all, partly because I felt like they weren't listening/understanding (which is why it's so important to find a counsellor who you really trust), partly because I hated 'just talking', it wasn't enough for what I needed, and partly because I wasn't ready to be completely honest.

On the other hand, the counsellor I'm seeing now is great and it's helped so, so much. And because I feel like he's listening to me more, I'm opening up more, so it works both ways. I think it does really depend on what the problem is, but if you're struggling with your self-esteem etc following a break-up then talking sounds like it could be a good place to start. And it's not always just 'talking' that they do (although it depends on the counsellor/service) - I struggle with communicating well sometimes because of social anxiety, so my counsellor has used pictures (cut out from magazines etc) as a starting point to make it easier, or things like relaxation, challenging thoughts, and walking somewhere while we talk.

I'd definitely recommend giving it a go at least. You might find it's not for you, or even that you want something 'more' than that (e.g. CBT is very good if you're struggling with thoughts about yourself), but it can be a good starting point definitely.

Good luck, x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Hi, I think I need counselling.

Has anyone here been through it? I'm talking NHS stuff, not private counsellors or anything. I can't afford to go private.

What were your experiences of it? Most importantly, did it help?

Thanks.
    Yes, I did for bereavement.

2 people close to me died in close succession. The counselling helped enormously, though its still something Im coming to terms with 7 months down the line.

I'd recommend it if you feel that you are carrying around the universe on your shoulders as I did.

ReputationRep:
    I've had grief counsellling and it's helped a bit. You might as well try if you feel you need it, see how it goes. People have different experiences.

ReputationRep:
    i found it didnt help at all but that might be the nature of my counselling so...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I had uni counselling for a year. I guess it was helpful in helping to flag up certain issues in my life but overall it wasn't the greatest experience. That's just specific to my circumstances though. He didn't accept that I had very serious and endangering mental health problems until it was far too late and spent most of his time trying to compress me into a psychodynamic box that I didn't quite fit into. I've been left feeling rather bitter and let down by the experience.

That's so specific to my health though. I think in general it can be a good thing for many people to have someone they can offload to. I think counselling doesn't tend to provide you with many answers. If you need a shoulder to cry on, it probably works well but if you want answers about why you are the way you are, or if you have long-term/serious mental health issues, it's not always the best thing.

I'm now having CBT and have an assigned CPN and that has been far more positive and had more impact

ReputationRep:
    Been throught councelling twice.. well more than that through private i was in school the first time so it was paid from the nhs sort of. It didnt help one bit and actually felt forced upon they said that it was just for "friendly place where you can relax" felt better on my own tbh... Then one year later had it again through college he was a waste of time ignored what i had to say.
    Ended up being refered back to the place i orginally went and hated the person i had there so canceled it, which when i went to a different college they tried to force it upon me again ... just ignored them and told them to go shove it .

Never helped me is the end story but i know it has helped people in the past and its worth a try just incase it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Hi, I think I need counselling.

Has anyone here been through it? I'm talking NHS stuff, not private counsellors or anything. I can't afford to go private.

What were your experiences of it? Most importantly, did it help?

Thanks.
    I haven't gone through it but I have seen many people who have and it has really helped them. At first they felt they were "going through the motions" but the more they stuck at it, it really did make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    I went to all kinds of counselling and therapy as a teenager for around 4 years and it did not help one bit, just made things worse and led to more bottling up of things that should not be bottled up but that was me for you it might work wonders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Things are never simple with the mental health services, waiting lists, mismanagement, egos, lost paperwork, you name it.

At first she didn't want to submit a referral as she thought she could handle it, it was only after a few weeks that she realised she wasn't able to help me. I ended up being with her 5 months because every time a referral was put in the inevitable reply was that all of the available psychologists in the area had full case loads and couldn't take on any extra patients. In the end i degenerated into a full blown episode of psychosis and ended up trying to drown myself in the marina boat loch. Was pulled out of the water unconscious by the fire brigade and sectioned in hospital. After that suddenly everyone became magically available and I was given a CPN, Psychologist and Psychiatrist to see. Even then they weren't that helpful. If you ever have the displeasure of seeing the mental health services in Hull I recommend you move to another city.

I'm now back home and my current team is a million times better as they're specifically trained to deal with people who have psychosis.
    Woah. I feel really bad for you mate :console:

Glad everything's going well for you now . How long's your treatment gonna last?

P.s. I'm currently in Cambridge and I can vouch for the health-care here! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobia_s)
    Woah. I feel really bad for you mate :console:

Glad everything's going well for you now . How long's your treatment gonna last?

P.s. I'm currently in Cambridge and I can vouch for the health-care here! lol
    My treatment with my current team will last 3 years minimum. If my psychosis is still ongoing after that time they'll top up and add on another 3 years, and so on and so forth. Due to them being an intensive team you have access to quite a lot staff, I have assigned to me a CPN, Support Worker, Family Worker, Psychologist and Psychiatrist. I see the CPN and Psychologist once a week for each one, see the Support worker 3 times a week, Family worker and Psychiatrist once a month. Quite a lot of appointments to keep track of Sometimes it's almost overwhelming.

Yeah generally Cambridgeshire is pretty good for health care, never had many complaints about it.

ReputationRep:
    I actually thought that it was useless. I spent two years in counselling between the ages of 13 and 15, and while I had an awful lot of stuff going on (depression, suicide attempts and a history of physical, sexual and emotional abuse - not that I state this for sympathy, just for context!) they didn't take it seriously because of my age. I was passed from counsellor to counsellor, never given more than a couple of sessions with someone before they moved me on, so I never actually had chance to form a connection, and I was given some very unhelpful advice or messages from them. I know that it does help some people, but I think a more targeted therapy would be useful for people with specific mental health problems - I'm trying to get CBT or similar at the moment, but my GP refuses to take me serious :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    i saw a few, didn't help. but then i saw a psychologist and she was slightly more helpful. a bit patronising though which i found annoying. had a few decent suggestions though, i suppose. my brother also saw the same psychologist and he found it extremely helpful. i think the reason it didn't help me as much is because i wasn't particularly open to being helped. i just wanted her to go away and leave me to deal how i felt i could. it's difficult.

i think it can be hit and miss as to whether you get a decent counsellor or not. if you get someone who has a bit more of a clue it'll be helpful, most likely.. but a lot of them are idiots.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.