Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    From the ages of about eleven to sixteen I suffered from an eating disorder (anorexia with bulimic tendencies was what I was eventually diagnosed with, as purging disorder wasn't very well known at the time) and I'm worried that when I go to university in September and am away from people watching what I eat I'll slip back into that. I never really went through recovery, I was underweight but not dangerously and my doctor couldn't be bothered to force me to go to sessions so I stopped going at sixteen because I never found them helpful and lied through them.

What made me 'better' was getting an illness that caused terrible pain that made me just want to nourish my body so it would get better, which I have now realised, after getting to a 'healthy' (read: horrible) weight, will not happen.

Will the freedom of being away from family cause me to get bad again? What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

My YouTube channel could really help you, please stop by. I have millions of views and have built many lasting friendships with people I have helped through their eating disorders. On my channel I chronicled my own recovery from anorexia. Have a look and don't hesitate to message me.

http://www.youtube.com/loufederer/

ReputationRep:
    This is a pivotal moment for you, BelletEtLeBette. Personally my eating disorder was exacerbated by loneliness. You MUST bear this is mind. Being isolated CAN be detrimental. However, it is not necessarily detrimental to you. Some people feel liberated. Free.

Basically, my advice is... wait and see. If your disorder starts to rear its head, then really nip it in the bud. Circumstances vary wildly, but regardless of your situation, I'm sure you can overcome it, you seem like an intelligent and wonderful person.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.