Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am having some difficulty coming up with a topic...was hoping for some guidelines or perhaps helping me reword this topic I have had its just a general ideas.

I wanted to so something about Soccer and its fans emotions etc idk need some help to polish it...but I am open to anything

ReputationRep:
    Basically you can do your TOK presentation on anything as long as you can ask and answer these questions about it:

How do you know what happened?
    How does language influence your knowledge of the subject? (for example how it has been reported in the media)
    How does emotion contribute to your knowledge?
    etc. with difference areas of knowledge and ways of knowing

Examples: I did my mock presentation on the reporting of the Hillsborough Disaster (there's a football one for you!). I did it about language (ie. the media's appalling report of the disaster), emotion (how the reporting appealed to peoples' emotions), reason (comparing various newspapers' reporting).

I did my real presentation on heroin. Language and perception (the NAME of the drug - how "heroin" sounds more dangerous than "diacetylmorphine", including how the packaging of the drug affected peoples' perception of its safety - I did a poll thing with lots of pictures of different drugs and different packaging to see which drugs people percieved as more dangerous), also reasoning (how harm-reduction drugs policies, ie. providing clean needles to addicts, were proven to reduce deaths and social issues, yet peoples' emotions got in the way of a logical conclusion that drugs policy should be changed.)

One of my friends did an interesting experiment for his presentation - he gave us all drinks, some were pink, some very green and some were clear. He asked us all what flavours our drinks were - of course the people with the green drinks said lime, the pink ones said strawberry etc. And then he said that they were all just flat lemonade! It was really good and he proceeded to give an interesting presentation about smell and taste (eg. how do you KNOW that you're eating what you think you're eating).

You can basically do it about anything - PM me if you want more advice?

ReputationRep:
    I think this website basically tells you everything you need to know about the TOK presentation:
    http://ibcram.com/Presentation.php

This page doesn't really explain how you might pick a question so I'll try to help out.

The question always has to be related to a recent news which has caused controversy. So if there were any events during any soccer games - I don't really know of any so it's hard to say, but it has to be related to recent events that can be seen in various ways. Soccer might be a little hard. Some bigger news like the African and middle eastern revolution would probably a very very good topic to work with.

ReputationRep:
    NB It doesn't have to be on a "current event" as in something in the news - it's more like a "contemporary issue" ie. anything at all that applies to modern life. It has to be on any topic which you can ask questions about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster101)

I did my real presentation on heroin. Language and perception (the NAME of the drug - how "heroin" sounds more dangerous than "diacetylmorphine", including how the packaging of the drug affected peoples' perception of its safety - I did a poll thing with lots of pictures of different drugs and different packaging to see which drugs people percieved as more dangerous), also reasoning (how harm-reduction drugs policies, ie. providing clean needles to addicts, were proven to reduce deaths and social issues, yet peoples' emotions got in the way of a logical conclusion that drugs policy should be changed.)

One of my friends did an interesting experiment for his presentation - he gave us all drinks, some were pink, some very green and some were clear. He asked us all what flavours our drinks were - of course the people with the green drinks said lime, the pink ones said strawberry etc. And then he said that they were all just flat lemonade! It was really good and he proceeded to give an interesting presentation about smell and taste (eg. how do you KNOW that you're eating what you think you're eating).

You can basically do it about anything - PM me if you want more advice?
    Your friends idea REALLY got my attention. Could I know more about it? Like what lines did he exactly work on? What knowledge issues did he consider ? and all?
    Thank you SO MUCH!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.