Turn on thread page Beta

What do people do for accomodation second & third year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yooo,

I'm assuming you have to rent a house with some mates in your second & third year at uni? I was just wondering how this works out financially... Is it cheaper or more expensive to halls? Also do you have to pay bills on top of rent? If so, how do you work out how much the bills would cost?

I'll be living in Manchester!

Any help would be appreciated.

Peace x

ReputationRep:
    You could live in a tent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeyDav)
    I'm assuming you have to rent a house with some mates in your second & third year at uni? I was just wondering how this works out financially... Is it cheaper or more expensive to halls?
    Depends on how expensive your halls were and where you decide to live (as areas can vary significantly in price even within the same city). But it is usually cheaper than halls (not significantly more expensive anyhoo). If you lived fully catered at halls you will need to buy your own food when living out, of course, but even with this additional cost it's rarely more expensive.

Also do you have to pay bills on top of rent?
    Yes although some landlords use a "bills free" option. You pay a little more in rent and this covers all bills. But be careful about this as you can often end up paying more.

If so, how do you work out how much the bills would cost?
    You can estimate by asking other people who have lived out. It does depends on how many people are living in the house and how often you use gas and electricity of course. Not to mention whether or not we have a cold winter like the previous two. For a four bedroom house, expect to pay £8 a week. Possibly more. This is for Internet, phone, gas and electricity.

Some landlords pay the water rates for you and others do not. The water rates do vary according to your water authority but I think it's usually around the £300 mark (that's a year)

If you are all full time students you are exempt from Council Tax although you may need to obtain a council tax exemption form from your university.

ReputationRep:
    It generally works out cheaper than halls, but it depends on how much halls were and what kind of place you get.

Most private landlords will only ask you for rent, and then paying the bills to suppliers of electricity, heating, etc is your responsibility. The best way to find out what the bills would cost is to ask people who have lived in similar accommodation. The best way is, when you look at houses/flats, ask the current tenants what their bills are, if you get a chance to talk to them. Or ask the landlord to ask them on your behalf. It will vary from specific place to place.

People generally live with mates, but you can also find random people to share with online or you may see adverts around at your Uni by people who need an extra person/people.
    Then you divide the bills equally between all tenants. Whatever you do don't try to figure out who uses the most electricity and make them pay more or anything, it is petty and only leads to arguments! If you have 4 people just divide it equally by 4, simple. Generally one person will pay the bill itself and then the others give them the cash. A certain amount of trust is required here, but most people are actually decent and will pay up, so it works out fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!!

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.