Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    In S6, I want to crash Higher Physics, and studying three Advanced Highers in Maths, Biology, and Chemistry.

My school are discouraging me from doing 3 Adv. Highers, and want me to do two, are they right? Or should I go through with doing it if that's what I want?
    I want to study medicine...so what's to my better interests?

ReputationRep:
    It just depends how much work you want to undertake; and a little bit on what you got last year. This year I'm doing AH English, Bio, Chem & Physics. Which is not impossible but still a lot of effort.

If you're planning to do medicine in Scotland then doing two AHs and higher physics would seem acceptable since Scottish unis, mainly, look at higher results. On the other hand, English unis tend to focus more on AHs so taking 3 would be your best option.

AH Biology is relatively straight-forward. In my opinion, there's a lot of content in AH Chemistry and that's probably the most challenging out of my subjects. (Not to mention investigations :cry:). Higher physics is of a lesser level, but still contains a lot of content, if I remember correctly. Albeit it's not that difficult.

Basically, a lot of people take 3 AHs and it's perfectly doable. Do what you want. This is your 'last' year to 'learn' the different elements of various science before undertaking on just one course. Doing 3 would also, possibly, raise your application a bit when it comes to UCAS time. Do the 3 AHs and Higher Physics and if by prelim time, it's too much then just drop the physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mckinnon94)
    In S6, I want to crash Higher Physics, and studying three Advanced Highers in Maths, Biology, and Chemistry.

My school are discouraging me from doing 3 Adv. Highers, and want me to do two, are they right? Or should I go through with doing it if that's what I want?
    I want to study medicine...so what's to my better interests?
    Spacepirate is correct in what he said. Whether your school is 'right' or not, depends on your performance at the moment. I would say this; though you do not need 3AH's to get into medicine, an element of your selection score will be your predicted S6 performance. So 3AH's would look better than 2

You have ask yourself whether you will be able to handle the full 3, if so then go for it. The better grades you get this year, the less will be required next year. Hope we've helped a bit
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by G8D)
    I did this. Ended up failing chem/maths and getting a B in physics and a C in bio
    But you would of probably ended up with something like AABB or something if you didn't have an unconditional?

ReputationRep:
    we are allowed a maximum of 5 highers per year at our school and each adv higher counts as 2 highers so you can do 2 adv highers and one higher ect....

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing exactly this combination this year and finding it OK. It's certainly a lot of work (especially now at investigation deadline time ) It's nice, for me anyway, to have a grounding in all three sciences. It depends on how much support your school gives as well, it'll probably involve s lot of self-studying.

ReputationRep:
    I did Advanced Higher Biology, Chemistry and English. Can't imagine having another Higher on top of that because there's so much practical work in the sciences you have to do in your free periods that although I had two sets of free periods I was pretty much always holed away working...

ReputationRep:
    I did AH Chem, Bio, Applied Maths and H Art - while this was a fairly high workload (the art folio was a real bugger on top of the 2 investigations I had to do) I still enjoyed S6 and it meant I started uni (doing Medicine) used to a busy day.

ReputationRep:
    Don't judge what you think you are capable of by what the school tells you, if you think you can handle 3 AH's (and lots of people can with the right mindset) then go for it

ReputationRep:
    Your school thinks that 3 AH's and a higher will be hard but a career in medicine will be no bother? Tell them to bolt.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.