Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me any insight into what the unite studios are like?? (central quay, anvil, forge) are they ok or do they match up to the same standard as the standard bedrooms?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    The one I had at the Forge was nice, but way too expensive for what it was.

When I moved in it was clean et cetera, but it turned out my shower was blocked, my internet didn't work and my oven wouldn't go above about 90C as well as having a faulty extractor.

My internet eventually got sorted after about 4 months of my 9 month contract, my oven took them 2 and a half months to fix and they never did unblock my shower, I just had to make sure i didn't spend longer than 2 minutes at at time in there.. Pretty pissed off at not being able to cook, browse the net or shower properley when forking out £525 a month for what is already a pretty small living space.

Never again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schroedinger's Pandora)
    The one I had at the Forge was nice, but way too expensive for what it was.

When I moved in it was clean et cetera, but it turned out my shower was blocked, my internet didn't work and my oven wouldn't go above about 90C as well as having a faulty extractor.

My internet eventually got sorted after about 4 months of my 9 month contract, my oven took them 2 and a half months to fix and they never did unblock my shower, I just had to make sure i didn't spend longer than 2 minutes at at time in there.. Pretty pissed off at not being able to cook, browse the next or shower properley when forking out £525 a month for what is already a pretty small living space.

Never again.

Aww noo! that sounds awful
    I really dont know what to do.. I want to live bymyself.. But unite is the cheapest option I dont suppose you know anything about the unite studios at central quay or the forge 2?

ReputationRep:
    Honey how did you decide that unite were the cheapest? They are the most expensive accomodation in town! I'm a PhD student and looking into renting a gorgeous 1 bed flat on Sylvester Street with a roof terrace for £450 (add another 30 for bills, still way cheaper), I feel duped for ever giving Unite my money, my advice to you is look at any other options. Unite hardly have a glowing reputation for value for money. Their studios are even bigger rip-offs that the regular rooms! You can get whole flats with separate kitchen and bedroom with nice big bathrooms for way less than you'd give Unite for a crappy bedsit.

Don't throw your money away!

ReputationRep:
    Honey how did you decide that unite were the cheapest? They are the most expensive accomodation in town! I'm a PhD student and looking into renting a gorgeous 1 bed flat on Sylvester Street with a roof terrace for £450 (add another 30 for bills, still way cheaper), I feel duped for ever giving Unite my money, my advice to you is look at any other options. Unite hardly have a glowing reputation for value for money. Their studios are even bigger rip-offs that the regular rooms! You can get whole flats with separate kitchen and bedroom with nice big bathrooms for way less than you'd give Unite for a crappy bedsit.

Don't throw your money away!
    For a studio.. other studios you have to pay bills.. Studios at the pinnacles are 140 a week... Ooo where's cheaper? Thank you for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    "Studio" is a better way of saying "bedsit". They are exactly the same thing, you will be cooking in the same room you sleep. If you are hell bent on getting a bedsit in student accom then you are going to pay well over the odds for it. Unite are very expensive and provide shocking service. If you are prepared to be ripped off just to avoid the inconvenience of phoning the gas/ electricity company to pay your bill every 3 months then you are daft, with all due respect. 140 a week is absolutely disgraceful, in such a dodgy area too!! Just go online and look for one bedroom flats, there are hundreds! I've seen 4 very nice ones, all much nicer/ bigger/ cheaper than anything you'd get in halls. Just look.

ReputationRep:
    "Studio" is a better way of saying "bedsit". They are exactly the same thing, you will be cooking in the same room you sleep. If you are hell bent on getting a bedsit in student accom then you are going to pay well over the odds for it. Unite are very expensive and provide shocking service. If you are prepared to be ripped off just to avoid the inconvenience of phoning the gas/ electricity company to pay your bill every 3 months then you are daft, with all due respect. 140 a week is absolutely disgraceful, in such a dodgy area too!! Just go online and look for one bedroom flats, there are hundreds! I've seen 4 very nice ones, all much nicer/ bigger/ cheaper than anything you'd get in halls. Just look.
    thank you for your advice.. i think i will take it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tish64)
    thank you for your advice.. i think i will take it
    hey what about http://www.shu.ac.uk/accommodation/r...nge-works.html

challenge works? that looks alright. if i was living by my self i would prob consider them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)

challenge works? that looks alright. if i was living by my self i would prob consider them
    wooow this place looks crazy good! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, central quay is really out of the way and quite far from other halls, I would steer well clear.

Next year I am going for a studio in the forge, and after looking at a lot of reviews I will tell you why.

It is £118 for the forge, or £120 for the forge 2. The only difference is that the forge 2 is two years newer, so I have just gone for the forge. You can go and see the guys at unite and pick exactly which flat you want (so long as its not already gone), so for e.g I like a quiet life so went for one on a top floor in the corner.

Although they are pretty expensive what you have to remember is being a student you will get ripped off. I have been through other private landlords before and had threats, abuse, damp, broken things the list goes on. Although their are bad reviews from unite, remember you will get ripped off wherever you go.

It will save you loads of time/energy not having to factor in bills, internet costs, and they have very safe and secure, which is a big weight of your mind. I currently live in private accomodation, a flat in a massive block, where I am the only student. It is very lonely and I barely know anyone in my block, living with loads of professionals and young families really gets on my nerves, so I would prefer to pay exactly the same amount for a few less walls in student accomodation.

The studios themselves are actually pretty big, and although a lot of people have bad reviews from unite, I have also heard of loads of good reviews too.

I would steer clear of unite if you have a car though. The parking is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snufkin_)
    Hiya, central quay is really out of the way and quite far from other halls, I would steer well clear.

Next year I am going for a studio in the forge, and after looking at a lot of reviews I will tell you why.

It is £118 for the forge, or £120 for the forge 2. The only difference is that the forge 2 is two years newer, so I have just gone for the forge. You can go and see the guys at unite and pick exactly which flat you want (so long as its not already gone), so for e.g I like a quiet life so went for one on a top floor in the corner.

Although they are pretty expensive what you have to remember is being a student you will get ripped off. I have been through other private landlords before and had threats, abuse, damp, broken things the list goes on. Although their are bad reviews from unite, remember you will get ripped off wherever you go.

It will save you loads of time/energy not having to factor in bills, internet costs, and they have very safe and secure, which is a big weight of your mind. I currently live in private accomodation, a flat in a massive block, where I am the only student. It is very lonely and I barely know anyone in my block, living with loads of professionals and young families really gets on my nerves, so I would prefer to pay exactly the same amount for a few less walls in student accomodation.

The studios themselves are actually pretty big, and although a lot of people have bad reviews from unite, I have also heard of loads of good reviews too.

I would steer clear of unite if you have a car though. The parking is ridiculous.
    Yeah.. Your right.. I haven't heard anything bad about the forge 2.. i haven't heard any reviews about it actually! What about the Anvil?

Yeah i don't wanna pay bills yet!

Ohh where are you currently living?

noo i don't have a car

ReputationRep:

Never thought about there wish i would have done now already made my choices.

ReputationRep:
    Never thought about there wish i would have done now already made my choices.
    cant you call them and ask to change? as challenge works looks really good! i like the fact you get a spiral staircase up to your bedroom

ReputationRep:
    cant you call them and ask to change? as challenge works looks really good! i like the fact you get a spiral staircase up to your bedroom
    Yes it is good that! lol not too good after a night out but owell
    No they wont change it they can change your preferences.. not your accommodation choices

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is good that! lol not too good after a night out but owell
    No they wont change it they can change your preferences.. not your accommodation choices
    ohh sh*tttt thats bad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.. Your right.. I haven't heard anything bad about the forge 2.. i haven't heard any reviews about it actually! What about the Anvil?

Yeah i don't wanna pay bills yet!

Ohh where are you currently living?

noo i don't have a car
    Yeah and the other thing with going privately and not through student accomodation, it is notoriously difficult to get landlords to take you on. The moment you say student, they say no. Unless your a postgrad.

I've heard mixed about the anvil. It's a 10 min ish walk from the forge, so a bit furthur from town then the forge. One of my friends said it was an absolute dive, another said it was quite nice but really small. When I rang to speak to the reps about it, they told me the anvil is where the majority of mature students go, and it is a lot quieter than the forge. So, I've gone for the forge, mainly because I'm only going to be a 2nd year and my friend that used to live at the anvil did say it was a bit ... meh.

I think their all going to be much of the same though.

Yeah, see the poster above said your stupid if you worry about paying bills, but, I would much rather know that everything was sorted for me, and I could just move myself in and potter around and move out again without the hassle. but hey! I'm lazy!

The other good thing is there is a gym all inclusive, you pay a £10 induction fee and that's it!

I currently live in a different city as I'm on a placement/gap year type thing.

Are you a current student in sheff?

I would bear in mind if your as picky as me about where you are on a floor I would book sooner rather than later. When I was there about a month ago, there was only one top floor studio left, as they go pretty quickly. You have a 14 day thinking time after paying your deposit to get your deposit back if you change your mind too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and the other thing with going privately and not through student accomodation, it is notoriously difficult to get landlords to take you on. The moment you say student, they say no. Unless your a postgrad.

I've heard mixed about the anvil. It's a 10 min ish walk from the forge, so a bit furthur from town then the forge. One of my friends said it was an absolute dive, another said it was quite nice but really small. When I rang to speak to the reps about it, they told me the anvil is where the majority of mature students go, and it is a lot quieter than the forge. So, I've gone for the forge, mainly because I'm only going to be a 2nd year and my friend that used to live at the anvil did say it was a bit ... meh.

I think their all going to be much of the same though.

Yeah, see the poster above said your stupid if you worry about paying bills, but, I would much rather know that everything was sorted for me, and I could just move myself in and potter around and move out again without the hassle. but hey! I'm lazy!

The other good thing is there is a gym all inclusive, you pay a £10 induction fee and that's it!

I currently live in a different city as I'm on a placement/gap year type thing.

Are you a current student in sheff?

I would bear in mind if your as picky as me about where you are on a floor I would book sooner rather than later. When I was there about a month ago, there was only one top floor studio left, as they go pretty quickly. You have a 14 day thinking time after paying your deposit to get your deposit back if you change your mind too.
    Awww maybe i should try the forge 2 then.. is the forge closer to uni thsan the anvil is? aww thank you so much for your advice
    Yeahh im like that aswell.. i like everything to be sorted instead of paying bills and worrying about them.
    Yeah i am a current student ohh noo i would prefer the top floors - less noise

ReputationRep:
    Awww maybe i should try the forge 2 then.. is the forge closer to uni thsan the anvil is? aww thank you so much for your advice
    Yeahh im like that aswell.. i like everything to be sorted instead of paying bills and worrying about them.
    Yeah i am a current student ohh noo i would prefer the top floors - less noise
    Cool what are you studying?
    Are you a Hallam student?

The forge is pretty close to the city uni, its right next to a sainsburys/aldi and quite close to eccy road (where most of the 2nd years live). It took around ten mins to walk from the main city uni campus to the forge.

Remember forge and forge 2 are exactly the same. Just one is slightly newer and the forge 2 has more studios, so if you only get the forge don't worry as their exactly in the same complex. I really would arrange a veiwing and pop down to see them, the woman was so helpful with me, she was with me for about 2 hours. haha. I just couldn't make up my mind..!

Where abouts do you live now?

ReputationRep:
    Not in the area, but Unite is inevitably going to be a rip-off, much better off trying to find a nice studio by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Cool what are you studying?
    Are you a Hallam student?

The forge is pretty close to the city uni, its right next to a sainsburys/aldi and quite close to eccy road (where most of the 2nd years live). It took around ten mins to walk from the main city uni campus to the forge.

Remember forge and forge 2 are exactly the same. Just one is slightly newer and the forge 2 has more studios, so if you only get the forge don't worry as their exactly in the same complex. I really would arrange a veiwing and pop down to see them, the woman was so helpful with me, she was with me for about 2 hours. haha. I just couldn't make up my mind..!

Where abouts do you live now?
    Teaching
    ohh i never knew that.. I think its the forge 2 that is slightly newer 2 hours wooow! lol gosh!

Im at victoria hall now - its nice - my flatmates arent

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.