This discussion is closed.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Firstly, Eric, my low-brow amigo, I am not an old-man. I am 17 and currently in attendance at sixth form. Secondly, I had a girlfriend until a few months ago.

Quite simply, Eric, I do not come here to argue, but rather to discuss. This forum was intended for intellectual discussion, not the crap that has appeared over the last couple of months.
a couple is 2 which is meaning by that i cant be included in that.So if you were trying to include me in that make the number of months a bit higher.You go to sixth form well i thought you would have common sense instead of being big headed.I thought you were really kind but then you started to bad mouth everything i did.You need to remember im 13 what i find interesting and what you find interesting wont be the same
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Free speech is only eroded for the good of society, to become eroded to far would also be adverse to society. It's a case of striking a balance between the two.
I believe that you have the right to say what you like, but not the right to say it where you like.
History in the extreme teaches us that where the right of free speech has been eroded or checked it has not been for for the good of society, but rather for the good of the state; viz the USSR.

My point is this. Parliament can, in theory, pass a law at any time restricting for example, public critisism of the government of the day. Why? Because there is no constitutionally entrenched right to freedom of speech in the UK.

So, you take your pick. You either change the approach to freedom of speech and ensure it is absolute (as is very nearly the case in the US) or you continue with residual ideas about what speech is/isn't acceptable.

There are obvious risks and benefits to both ideas.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Firstly, Eric, my low-brow amigo, I am not an old-man. I am 17 and currently in attendance at sixth form. Secondly, I had a girlfriend until a few months ago.

Quite simply, Eric, I do not come here to argue, but rather to discuss. This forum was intended for intellectual discussion, not the crap that has appeared over the last couple of months.
lol, ure fizzing whitey.

in ebing honest, i actually like reading your posts.

you make melaugh a lot, not because i disagree with you, but because you are so honest and straight to the point.

none of this "cuddly, gay, agree with everyone, doo dahh, love me 2" crap like some of those on here.
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
The fact the forum is divided up into University, Academic etc. does imply that this page is the general 'any topic will do' discussion page though. So whatever this forum was once intended for does not seem to hold true from its current design.
Yes, it's such a shame that things have detiriorated to this level. This is, after all, a learning forum - it does not bode well that the actual 'learning' part has been demoted to a sub-forum.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Almost 50% of the population has been / is in university. This is not an acheivement - anyone with an IQ over 75 could manage it. Anyway, which university are you going to? The Isle of Wight Institute for Farm Studies?
im also studying at 6th form and then i will be going on to oxford brookes to do fine art thanx
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

You don't exactly practice what you preach - you seem to get involved in a lot of these arguments (actually - you probably fuel them) and so just exacerbate the situation. These people are not going to go away. If you don't like them, then don't talk to them - but do not just goad incessantly. The fruit of your labour is, simply, more trash.

Ben
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
History in the extreme teaches us that where the right of free speech has been eroded or checked it has not been for for the good of society, but rather for the good of the state; viz the USSR.

My point is this. Parliament can, in theory, pass a law at any time restricting for example, public critisism of the government of the day. Why? Because there is no constitutionally entrenched right to freedom of speech in the UK.

So, you take your pick. You either change the approach to freedom of speech and ensure it is absolute (as is very nearly the case in the US) or you continue with residual ideas about what speech is/isn't acceptable.

There are obvious risks and benefits to both ideas.
Interesting to consider the public criticism of the government theory. Hmm..making the adverse discussion of tuition fees illegal.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
a couple is 2 which is meaning by that i cant be included in that.So if you were trying to include me in that make the number of months a bit higher.You go to sixth form well i thought you would have common sense instead of being big headed.I thought you were really kind but then you started to bad mouth everything i did.You need to remember im 13 what i find interesting and what you find interesting wont be the same
Maybe I used to be kind, when I wasn't surrounded by idiots, but that is in the past. The sheer quantites of morons that I face on a daily basis have eroded any former sympathy I had for your bemused posting.

Yes, Eric, I appreciate that you are young, but this isn't a chat room. Quite simply, if you want to banter, take it to one.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
mr white, you dont actually sound 17.

you sound like a really upper class 30 year old or something.

btw: just ebcause i and most others cant b bothered using fancy words because we are normal clas from average backgrounds, doesnt make u any more correct than others.

i leave my intellectual language to my exams and coursework etc, but in normal conversation i talk like an average teenager.

using fancy words doesnt mean ur opinions count more, it just emans that we r more down to earth.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
im also studying at 6th form and then i will be going on to oxford brookes to do fine art thanx
Oh, Fine Art - congratulations on your ability to wield a paintbrush with some proficiency. I once drew a picture of a bunny rabbit - am I eligible for a scholarship?
Amy
Rep:
?
Maybe I used to be kind, when I wasn't surrounded by idiots, but that is in the past. The sheer quantites of morons that I face on a daily basis have eroded any former sympathy I had for your bemused posting.

Yes, Eric, I appreciate that you are young, but this isn't a chat room. Quite simply, if you want to banter, take it to one.
what would u talk about then? why dont u set up an "intellectual" thread ofr all u swots out there
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

remind me again,Who is the one always starting arguements.If you never bad mouthed peoples ideas maybe people wouldnt hate you so much
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh, Fine Art - congratulations on your ability to wield a paintbrush with some proficiency. I once drew a picture of a bunny rabbit - am I eligible for a scholarship?
I really hope a good future for you, something as important as E=MC2 because otherwise with that attitude your next step will be to commit suicide.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
remind me again,Who is the one always starting arguements.If you never bad mouthed peoples ideas maybe people wouldnt hate you so much
What makes you think that I care in the slightest who hates me or not? I say what I feel, and whether or not people take offence is, quite simply, their worry.
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
mr white, you dont actually sound 17.

you sound like a really upper class 30 year old or something.

btw: just ebcause i and most others cant b bothered using fancy words because we are normal clas from average backgrounds, doesnt make u any more correct than others.

i leave my intellectual language to my exams and coursework etc, but in normal conversation i talk like an average teenager.

using fancy words doesnt mean ur opinions count more, it just emans that we r more down to earth.
im in total agreement, he'll be grey by the time hes 20
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What makes you think that I care in the slightest who hates me or not? I say what I feel, and whether or not people take offence is, quite simply, their worry.
well your posts arent exactly wow lets worship them.Your more of a spammer than me and the old maskall put together
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, it's such a shame that things have detiriorated to this level. This is, after all, a learning forum - it does not bode well that the actual 'learning' part has been demoted to a sub-forum.
whiteeeey!

you agree with me!!!

i said this about 10 times, but people didn't understand.

a learning website with all the acaemic stuff and intelligent stuff in sub-forum's, with the gossip and trash on the main page!

talk about getting priorities compeltely wrong!

i said the same thing so many times.....

how can it be an educational forum when all the educational stuff is hidden and the junk is in full view.....

silly. - i agree here.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
im in total agreement, he'll be grey by the time hes 20
Maybe, but at least I'll not be drug-reliant and pregnant.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What makes you think that I care in the slightest who hates me or not?
thats actually a good attitude to ahve in some respects.

i prefer that than the "ohhhh, i'll be so pathetic that i'll kiss everyone's arse and act all gay and agree with every view because i am so zero opnionated and am so sad, ohhh, cuddle me and kiss me, doo dahh" crap.

i prefer whitey to that, and thats being honest.
Amy
Rep:
?
i bet u were so proud!!! i think u need a bit more than that to get in to uni though
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
31.82%
No (13)
59.09%
Don't know (2)
9.09%

Watched Threads