Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am intending to study for GRE Math test and if anyone of you can advice me on some good books, websites, resources that will really be great.

Also, what is the competitive score for this subject ?

(Original post by olympus123456)
    Also, what is the competitive score for this subject ?
    I read a while ago (Dec 2010) that you should aim for upwards of 550 for verbal and 700 for Quantitative, I'm not sure if this still stands but it is a good starting point

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing more advanced than what you studied when you were 15, just review those topics on any GCSE revision website. A competitive score is entirely dependent on the school and the program. But if you insist on having a study guide get the princeton GRE one. I never looked at the math section, but the verbal section was decent.

This is the standardised test for postgraduate study, right?

ReputationRep:
    yes, its for postgraduate study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drive like june)
    It's nothing more advanced than what you studied when you were 15, just review those topics on any GCSE revision website. A competitive score is entirely dependent on the school and the program. But if you insist on having a study guide get the princeton GRE one. I never looked at the math section, but the verbal section was decent.
    Thank you, I will buy just 1 book and get over with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olympus123456)
    Thank you, I will buy just 1 book and get over with it.
    Do you mean the GRE Subject Test in Mathematics, or the GRE General Quantitative test?

The first one is very tough, advanced and tricky; but considering you getting a high score, it can itself grant you admissions to top (US, UK or worldwide) universities in relevant courses (Computing, Maths) without academic excellence.

The second one is below A-Level, and needs practice for speed and accuracy. Nothing complicated at all. Keep in mind that from August 2011 the GRE General test is gonna get revised, and there will be changes to the test.

ReputationRep:
    I meant the first one.

I have good GPA and good TOEFL scores. But u see I am an international applicant, so my application has to be stronger, esp. I am applying for Masters in BME. I am worried about my recommendation letters since I honestly feel that they are slacky professors from the univ i did my undergrad in. secondly, i need to have a competitive score in GRE test and GRE Math Subject test.

Hence I need to take alteast 1 subject test.

Do u have any links or e-books for this subject ? Any help is most welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to take the Subject Math test in the summer as well, as I really "need" to go to a top US university in California. I'm planning to do a GRE General and Math Subject test in the summer, and a GRE Computer Science subject test in November, to ensure a place in a top US university for PhD.

I haven't searched for it yet, ETS sells some stuff and there are mock exam question on their website. We should be in touch for exchanging info during the summer.

ReputationRep:
    We have almost same plans. Hopefully we will be in touch.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.