Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting university this year and I'll be studying BSc Economics at UCL. I was wondering how much disadvantage my application will be in for the consultancy firms like mbb, ow... considering I've heard that UCL is not considered a 'target' for mbb. I will have relevant extra curriculars etc. but how much bearing does the university you go to have on mbb recruitment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunmetalpanda)
    I'll be starting university this year and I'll be studying BSc Economics at UCL. I was wondering how much disadvantage my application will be in for the consultancy firms like mbb, ow... considering I've heard that UCL is not considered a 'target' for mbb. I will have relevant extra curriculars etc. but how much bearing does the university you go to have on mbb recruitment.
    UCL is a well respected univerity worldwide. So in that sense you are at an advanage plus you're doing a relevant course. Nonetheless, you still need relevant work experience to stand out even more.

BTW what does MBB stand for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartmondays)
    UCL is a well respected univerity worldwide. So in that sense you are at an advanage plus you're doing a relevant course. Nonetheless, you still need relevant work experience to stand out even more.

McKinsey, Bain and BCG. They are top tier consultancy firms.

ReputationRep:
    It seems our war is not over. I might be going to UCL econs as well.

ReputationRep:
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    MBB usually recruit primarily from oxbridge. if you are outstanding and loads of ECs you might stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    MBB usually recruit primarily from oxbridge. if you are outstanding and loads of ECs you might stand a chance.
    Is it the same for the other top consultancy firms outside MBB such as Oliver Wyman etc. ?

ReputationRep:
    dude, UCL IS a target uni for MBB. McKinsey,BCG were on campus this year for presentations. True they recruit mostly from Oxbridge but if you've got impressive ECs, excellent grades dont see why you can't make it at least for a first round-providing you nail the initial tests.

ReputationRep:
    but do they really recruit mostly from Oxbridge?, I don't know anybody that works at MBB and I'd really like to hear from somebody that works/has worked there regarding this. BCG and Mckinsey both list Imperial college and LSE and even warwick as targets on their respective websites.

ReputationRep:
    Based on the MBB I'm familiar with, I would say the "Oxbridge or bust" viewpoint is quite a big exaggeration. It's not *easy* to get in, but you're probably not as disadvantaged as you think you are.

You have a big advantage in that you're just starting university and are thinking about these things this early

My advice would be to:

- ignore 90% of the advice on here, because it comes from well-intentioned people who believe what's true for apps in IB is true for apps in MC

- stop trying to fit yourself into the mould you think the right candidate should take

- study hard and get predicted a 1st if you can (but don't go crazy)

- find something you're really passionate about at university - sport, volunteering, startups, whatever - and pursue it with all your energy. If you're dedicated enough and put in enough effort you'll end up leading something, or achieving something uncommon for your peer group. Could be captaining the 1st XI, going out to work on solar panels in the Sahara...you get the idea!

- in line with the above, try and do things that are interesting and different with your time at university. You want to stand out in some way.

- most importantly, don't be an ********!

ReputationRep:
    cheers bramlow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartmondays)

What a breathtakingly pointless post... :rolleyes:

OP, you will stand some chance but like you say diminished somewhat by your choice of university. Don't sweat it. If you're awesome, you should get in - this rule applies to everyone. Do loads of extracurriculars, and get high quality work experience if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bramlow)
    Based on the MBB I'm familiar with, I would say the "Oxbridge or bust" viewpoint is quite a big exaggeration. It's not *easy* to get in, but you're probably not as disadvantaged as you think you are.

You have a big advantage in that you're just starting university and are thinking about these things this early

My advice would be to:

- ignore 90% of the advice on here, because it comes from well-intentioned people who believe what's true for apps in IB is true for apps in MC

- stop trying to fit yourself into the mould you think the right candidate should take

- study hard and get predicted a 1st if you can (but don't go crazy)

- find something you're really passionate about at university - sport, volunteering, startups, whatever - and pursue it with all your energy. If you're dedicated enough and put in enough effort you'll end up leading something, or achieving something uncommon for your peer group. Could be captaining the 1st XI, going out to work on solar panels in the Sahara...you get the idea!

- in line with the above, try and do things that are interesting and different with your time at university. You want to stand out in some way.

- most importantly, don't be an ********!
    Thank a lot. I have a question though, are consultancy firms similiar to IBs in the way that the degree subject doesn't matter as long as it's from a good uni? Say for example would an 'BSc Information Management for Business' from UCL, or Anthropology from LSE would not be disadvantaged as long as it's from a good university?

ReputationRep:
    Thank a lot. I have a question though, are consultancy firms similiar to IBs in the way that the degree subject doesn't matter as long as it's from a good uni? Say for example would an 'BSc Information Management for Business' from UCL, or Anthropology from LSE would not be disadvantaged as long as it's from a good university?
    Sort of.

I'd say there's still a preference for 'hard' degrees. Engineering, econ, maths, physics etc are all safe bets.

At the same time people have got in with history, languages, philosophy, etc. There are no 'mickey mouse' courses, but it's possible with all sorts of degrees.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    As recently as 2008 Bain had a specific half day of presentation at Cambridge on how you could get into consulting with an Arts degree. They seemed very accepting of the transferable skills of a History of Art degree, MML, Philosophy etc. All fully staffed by grads with those degrees.

ReputationRep:
    We have large numbers of historians and geographers.

ReputationRep:
    Would be surprised if you could even get a job trading equities in Dallas from UCL.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.