Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will students be given the option of repeating second year, if they fail? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student. I've been doing quite well on my exams and assignments so far. But, I kind of messed up really badly this term with attendance and generally neglected studies and everything. So I don't know whether I'll be able to do as well on my year end exams, which obviously mean more than assignments and jan exams.

My question is, do UK universities offer the option of repeating the failed modules or the year, to every student that fails? Or is it possible that they would just kick me out?
    I would really really appreciate it if someone could tell me whether they do. I'm scared. I'd have wasted so much of my parents money if they kicked me out.

ReputationRep:
    Really depends on the university.

Usually you will be able to resit a certain number of modules, the exact number will vary, and you mark will often be capped.

Sometimes you will need to "carry" a failed module in the third year but resit the others.

If you "properly" fail the year (fail more modules that you're allowd to resit, or fail all modules after a resit) then it's unlikely you will have the opportunity to resit. An exception would be if you have mitigating circumsantances (illness, death of a first degree relative) but, by the sound of it, this does not apply to you.

I suggest you speak to your university or, if you have one, consult your student handbook. Every universitiy should have their progression regulations freely available to all students.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.