Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If aliens visited Earth with an intention to harm... Watch

ReputationRep:
    The human race likes to fight. Largely with itself and other species that it has a quarrel with. These can be due to traits that the human race possesses such as the need for power and greed.

If extraterrestrial life showed itself; unwilling to make friends but instead take resources from Earth, would the human race start to band together and put past troubles behind it for the greater good? Assuming we have the technology available to fight against such organisms.

Also, completely unrelated: Do you think that aliens would take from a planet with life? Would they kill the hosts in order to take what they needed? Personally, I don't think so. I believe a civilisation that reaches possibly millions of years old needs to have an incredibly complex social structure. To obtain this, you need to have such things like equality and the ability to show empathy. A dictatorship or a race that wants to harm more than nurture wouldn't get very far in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    We have Will Smith.
    Thus we always win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    We have Will Smith.
    Thus we always win.
    I can't even argue with that.

ReputationRep:
    i think that we would band together even if unwillingly at first we wouldn't really have a choice
    aliens would probably have a dictatorship as imo democracy only works to a certain population

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter30)
    Also, completely unrelated: Do you think that aliens would take from a planet with life? Would they kill the hosts in order to take what they needed? Personally, I don't think so. I believe a civilisation that reaches possibly millions of years old needs to have an incredibly complex social structure. To obtain this, you need to have such things like equality and the ability to show empathy. A dictatorship or a race that wants to harm more than nurture wouldn't get very far in my opinion.

It depends very much on the exact species of alien. If you want to know about the social structures of a specific species or sub-species, you can simply google the latest interplanetary anthropological research.

I hope that helps answer your question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter30)
    I can't even argue with that.

But, like you said really. I assume earth would 'fight together', it has given examples of this through previous wars .. with multiple countries sticking up for someone/joining together etc.
    And ye, as you said, if any 'aliens' actually manage to get to earth, there technology must be so advanced that it simply, hopefully, follows that their infrastructure is such to that they realise that it would be a bad idea, cuz will smith would destroy them.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry the Americans would take care of them.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the fact they've reached us before we've reached them means they would probably be more technologically advanced than us thus we'd be doomed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Tbh the fact they've reached us before we've reached them means they would probably be more technologically advanced than us thus we'd be doomed anyway.
    Why would we be doomed? It doesn't mean they wanted to eradicate us.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you've been playing too much crysis 2 haven't you?

ReputationRep:
    But there are billions upon billions of other planets in the universe, what makes earth more attractive to conquer over all the other planets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    But there are billions upon billions of other planets in the universe, what makes earth more attractive to conquer over all the other planets?
    Closest one to their armada with the right resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Closest one to their armada with the right resources.
    Good point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    The the questions are to do with the society of humans and the extraterrestrial organisms, not whether or not they would actually visit us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    We have Will Smith.
    Thus we always win.
    No, America has Will Smith.

P.S. OP, whenver aliens come to invade, they come to invade America. (Only in special cases is it London or South Africa or some weird beasts in Japan :teehee: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)

P.S. OP, whenver aliens come to invade, they come to invade America. (Only in special cases is it London or South Africa or some weird beasts in Japan :teehee: )
    When they go to South Africa they become heavy handed metaphors for corporatism and apartheid rather than any real threat.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get very excited and watch all the action on Sky TV, complete with popcorn, in my underground nuclear bunker. I wouldn't care who won personally. I'd just want good TV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    When they go to South Africa they become heavy handed metaphors for corporatism and apartheid rather than any real threat.
    :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)

It's fine, we have Dr Who.. After all, he does come save us from an alien invasion like EVERY christmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    I'd get very excited and watch all the action on Sky TV, complete with popcorn, in my underground nuclear bunker. I wouldn't care who won personally. I'd just want good TV
    I am sure BBC would render it beautfully...

Don't get me started on the American news stations! :rofl2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.