Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If aliens visited Earth with an intention to harm... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoeaw)
    It's fine, we have Dr Who.. After all, he does come save us from an alien invasion like EVERY christmas
    I doubt he would have that old phonebox - it would probably be a PSP or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter30)
    The human race likes to fight. Largely with itself and other species that it has a quarrel with. These can be due to traits that the human race possesses such as the need for power and greed.

If extraterrestrial life showed itself; unwilling to make friends but instead take resources from Earth, would the human race start to band together and put past troubles behind it for the greater good? Assuming we have the technology available to fight against such organisms.

Also, completely unrelated: Do you think that aliens would take from a planet with life? Would they kill the hosts in order to take what they needed? Personally, I don't think so. I believe a civilisation that reaches possibly millions of years old needs to have an incredibly complex social structure. To obtain this, you need to have such things like equality and the ability to show empathy. A dictatorship or a race that wants to harm more than nurture wouldn't get very far in my opinion.

Rome had a civilisation that was as advanced to others as space ships would be to us, thier empire was built on two things, conquest and slave labour. As was the spanish when they went to South america. An alien whole civilisation could be built around conquest and taking what they want and destroying those who get in thier way. You dont need equality look at Nazi Germany, that wasnt equal and they took on the world.

as for whether we would band together i would say yes - but only after every country had bent over to get advanced weaponry out of them. If they made it clear they had no interest in being nice the old adage would come into play "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    But there are billions upon billions of other planets in the universe, what makes earth more attractive to conquer over all the other planets?
    I don't know, maybe her?

ReputationRep:
    If an alien race has the technology to travel to Earth in person, I think it would be so technologically advanced that it wouldn't need to take our resources, and probably wouldn't be interested in learning about our species.

Though as long as America is still around we're safe. They'll nuke anything given a fraction of a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Rome had a civilisation that was as advanced to others as space ships would be to us, thier empire was built on two things, conquest and slave labour. As was the spanish when they went to South america. An alien whole civilisation could be built around conquest and taking what they want and destroying those who get in thier way. You dont need equality look at Nazi Germany, that wasnt equal and they took on the world.

as for whether we would band together i would say yes - but only after every country had bent over to get advanced weaponry out of them. If they made it clear they had no interest in being nice the old adage would come into play "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"
    But the Roman empire being the equivilant of space ships is only relative to that time period. We're talking completely different time scales, laws and knowledge. People learn from history do they not? That's how civilisations develop. Conquest needs a dictatorship to succeed but that can only survive for a limited time period. We can look at places like Libya at the moment; people get angry when they don't have a choice. There is no way that such an advanced civilisation could develop and prosper without a form of democracy.

ReputationRep:
    If aliens have the ability to travel incredible distances with ease and travel at near enough light speeds long term, I'm sure they've got some banging technology. We wouldn't stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    We have Will Smith.
    Thus we always win.

ReputationRep:
    Humans somehow band together when they have a common enemy, we would still get owned though I mean one side travels the galaxy the other ****s up it's own backyard.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The human race likes to fight. Largely with itself and other species that it has a quarrel with. These can be due to traits that the human race possesses such as the need for power and greed.

If extraterrestrial life showed itself; unwilling to make friends but instead take resources from Earth, would the human race start to band together and put past troubles behind it for the greater good? Assuming we have the technology available to fight against such organisms.

Also, completely unrelated: Do you think that aliens would take from a planet with life? Would they kill the hosts in order to take what they needed? Personally, I don't think so. I believe a civilisation that reaches possibly millions of years old needs to have an incredibly complex social structure. To obtain this, you need to have such things like equality and the ability to show empathy. A dictatorship or a race that wants to harm more than nurture wouldn't get very far in my opinion.
    Of course we would. This is out planet and damn it only we have the right to kill each other on it.

ReputationRep:
    But the Roman empire being the equivilant of space ships is only relative to that time period. We're talking completely different time scales, laws and knowledge. People learn from history do they not? That's how civilisations develop. Conquest needs a dictatorship to succeed but that can only survive for a limited time period. We can look at places like Libya at the moment; people get angry when they don't have a choice. There is no way that such an advanced civilisation could develop and prosper without a form of democracy.
    Of course there is - just because you dont like the idea doesnt mean it cant happen. The roman Empire lasted for centuries as did the Incan and the Aztec both of whom relied at least partly on conquest to prosper and prospered well until others came along with bigger and better weapons. And its not just relative to that time period. Maths and medicine (not to mention things like ballista) where as alien to the "barbarian hordes"as say instellar travel, lightsabers and matter transporting are to us in the 21st century.

ReputationRep:
    We have Will Smith.
    Thus we always win.
    the Morgan Freeman voiceover would make the human race invincible.

ReputationRep:
    Of course there is - just because you dont like the idea doesnt mean it cant happen. The roman Empire lasted for centuries as did the Incan and the Aztec both of whom relied at least partly on conquest to prosper and prospered well until others came along with bigger and better weapons. And its not just relative to that time period. Maths and medicine (not to mention things like ballista) where as alien to the "barbarian hordes"as say instellar travel, lightsabers and matter transporting are to us in the 21st century.
    But all of these empires that you've said are really primitive in terms of technology. The last time a country aimed for conquest was Germany in World War 2 and as a result a large number of countries deemed it as morally wrong to kill and enslave millions of people. Therefore, fought against it. Everyone is different and eventually, i reckon, a revolt would happen to overthrow the leaders. A species that can travel across space efficiently needs thousands if not millions of years to develop. In that time surely democracy needs to occur? The term 'civilisation' is used in a different sense now anyway. We act on a global scale now (and aliens on an interplanetary scale) which have different dynamics to that of the Roman Empire size 'civilisation'.

ReputationRep:
    But all of these empires that you've said are really primitive in terms of technology. The last time a country aimed for conquest was Germany in World War 2 and as a result a large number of countries deemed it as morally wrong to kill and enslave millions of people. Therefore, fought against it. Everyone is different and eventually, i reckon, a revolt would happen to overthrow the leaders. A species that can travel across space efficiently needs thousands if not millions of years to develop. In that time surely democracy needs to occur? The term 'civilisation' is used in a different sense now anyway. We act on a global scale now (and aliens on an interplanetary scale) which have different dynamics to that of the Roman Empire size 'civilisation'.
    Your assuming aliens would think like us, which is wrong as we cannot fathom the way they think/live/society would differ from ours. Plus they would be a different species so whilst you are comparing human on human conquest the reality is more like human on animal conquest.

Maybe they will attack for a meat source god knows we reproduce like rabbits.

ReputationRep:
    We have Will Smith.
    Thus we always win.
    I thought about the exact same thing when I saw this thread. WIN!

Why would they even dare come when we have this badass combo:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    It depends, are they Klingon?

ReputationRep:
    No they weren't. They were very advanced for the timeframes they lived in, compared to us today yes they were primitive just as we would appear primitive to aliens with the ability to traverse the stars. Oh and recheck your history the vietnam war happened after WW2 as did the Iran-Iraq war.

You dont know they would have taken a long time to develop space travel they may have discovered it quickly, you have no idea that they are some peacefull hippy treehugging bunch of of pansies or a warrior race believing that the strong survive and the weak are there to be controlled. Not to mention you are applying human values to a race that are not human.

ReputationRep:
    It depends where they land. On the movies they always land in the US or Europe but what if they got their co-ordinates wrong and the ship landed in the middle of Somalia or Colombia, there ain't gonna be no peace talks or UN resolutions then, I expect the first humans they encountered would be armed and hostile.

ReputationRep:
    No they weren't. They were very advanced for the timeframes they lived in, compared to us today yes they were primitive just as we would appear primitive to aliens with the ability to traverse the stars. Oh and recheck your history the vietnam war happened after WW2 as did the Iran-Iraq war.

You dont know they would have taken a long time to develop space travel they may have discovered it quickly, you have no idea that they are some peacefull hippy treehugging bunch of of pansies or a warrior race believing that the strong survive and the weak are there to be controlled. Not to mention you are applying human values to a race that are not human.
    I'm only applying human values because that's the only thing that we know. The majority of the wealthy countries today are democracies. Why? You also have no way of knowing that we'd appear primitive to space age aliens? It's likely, admittedly, but we may only be a few years away for finding out something that could revolutionise the human race. They were primitive in a different way. They fought with swords and had no concept of what a nuclear warhead could do. Now, however, we know a lot more about how things such as physics work. There is a high chance we would have an idea of how there technology works in principle, even if we can't replicate it in real life. Social animals are the ones that are the most advanced as it allows them to stand together and protect their genes. They are also the more intellectual.

ReputationRep:
    If the aliens had the intelligence and technology to find us, I'm sure they'll be perfectly capable of annihilating us.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only applying human values because that's the only thing that we know. The majority of the wealthy countries today are democracies. Why? You also have no way of knowing that we'd appear primitive to space age aliens? It's likely, admittedly, but we may only be a few years away for finding out something that could revolutionise the human race. They were primitive in a different way. They fought with swords and had no concept of what a nuclear warhead could do. Now, however, we know a lot more about how things such as physics work. There is a high chance we would have an idea of how there technology works in principle, even if we can't replicate it in real life. Social animals are the ones that are the most advanced as it allows them to stand together and protect their genes. They are also the more intellectual.
    The bladed weapon is still something we use today so cant be that primitive. Not to mention the sheer barbarism that is the nuclear warhead, they made weapons to kill one on one or in small groups we make weapons that will kill millions.

And here i think you are suffering from an all too human condition - arrogance.

The same logic applies to aliens - we would have no understanding of how thier propulsion worked or however they get to earth, of thier technology. People have called great discoveries magic - how magical would beings from another world be who have crossed vast distances? Thier fuel alone could be so vastly different from anything we know that we wouldnt have the sligtest clue how to use it or understand it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.