• PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lozzyhickers)
    It's usually just me at that time, so I think i'll invite my boyfriend over to make it a bit les awkward. I never know what to say in situations like that!
    That sounds like a good plan. I was twiddling my thumbs and sitting on my bed. He didn't even attempt to make it less awkward. I wish I'd had somebody there with me or I could have at least been able to leave the room until he was finished. I offered him a cup of tea and he pretty much grunted :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by snoogy)
    That sounds like a good plan. I was twiddling my thumbs and sitting on my bed. He didn't even attempt to make it less awkward. I wish I'd had somebody there with me or I could have at least been able to leave the room until he was finished. I offered him a cup of tea and he pretty much grunted :rolleyes:
    Aww bless you! I was thinking of offering mine a cup of tea too, but I shall ask with caution lol I hope it all goes smoothly.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed my DSA supplier and they said they needed my proof of funding, I faxed it over 2 days ago and I haven't heard anything. How does IT training work? Do they do that at your house?

ReputationRep:
    Having a bit of a nightmare.

Student Finance didn't send me the doctors letter back that I sent for evidence and the assessment centre require it to book me an appointment. So I phoned the assessment centre to see what they suggested and they told me to phone DSA and ask them to send it direct to them.

After pacing up and down (I HATE talking on the phone) I phoned DSA who then told me that the assessment centre should know better and that they can phone and request it themselves! And also that I shouldn't have phoned that number as it is only for practitioners (oops! damn saynoto0870.com!)

So after trying for ages to phone the centre back they eventually answered to say that they thought they would say that and that they will phone them! So just got to wait and see what happens...

Before all this I phoned my doctors to see if they could just print it out again. Yes they could, with a charge of £15! When I sounded shocked she said "Well you were charged for the first one, why wouldn't you get charged for this? It's a private matter" I said I didn't get charged the first time and she said "I got off lucky"

Not looking too good. I might just give up and not bother with the appointment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine13)
    Having a bit of a nightmare.

Student Finance didn't send me the doctors letter back that I sent for evidence and the assessment centre require it to book me an appointment. So I phoned the assessment centre to see what they suggested and they told me to phone DSA and ask them to send it direct to them.

After pacing up and down (I HATE talking on the phone) I phoned DSA who then told me that the assessment centre should know better and that they can phone and request it themselves! And also that I shouldn't have phoned that number as it is only for practitioners (oops! damn saynoto0870.com!)

So after trying for ages to phone the centre back they eventually answered to say that they thought they would say that and that they will phone them! So just got to wait and see what happens...

Before all this I phoned my doctors to see if they could just print it out again. Yes they could, with a charge of £15! When I sounded shocked she said "Well you were charged for the first one, why wouldn't you get charged for this? It's a private matter" I said I didn't get charged the first time and she said "I got off lucky"

Not looking too good. I might just give up and not bother with the appointment.
    Re-book the appointment if necessary but don't drop out altogether.

I also hate talking on the phone so I feel your pain! However, it is worth it if you can get it sorted in the end.

I just had the assessment today and they couldn't have been more friendly/helpful. Getting recommended for a load of kit that I could never afford myself and will help my studies considerably.

ReputationRep:
    I wish they had something like this for college students! I have schizophrenia so would benefit from being able to record lectures with a dictophone, etc, because sometimes I'm not 'all there' and I find focusing/concentrating pretty hard, my medication makes me a virtual zombie. Like some of you I also struggle to get to places during rush hour and stuff, so that it can help towards transport sounds like a really good idea. If I get it when I apply to uni next year, it seems like it will be really helpful and make studying seem a little easier.

It's great to see that so many of you are getting adequate help and support for mental health difficulties, it angers me that so many of us suffer in silence because of the stigma associated with mental illness, especially when people are that ignorant that they think we can just pull our socks up and get over it - it's an illness, you wouldn't tell someone to 'get over' a physical illness, and just because you can't see it, doesn't make it any less real. </endrant>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatgirlfrankie)
    I wish they had something like this for college students! I have schizophrenia so would benefit from being able to record lectures with a dictophone, etc, because sometimes I'm not 'all there' and I find focusing/concentrating pretty hard, my medication makes me a virtual zombie. Like some of you I also struggle to get to places during rush hour and stuff, so that it can help towards transport sounds like a really good idea. If I get it when I apply to uni next year, it seems like it will be really helpful and make studying seem a little easier.
    What level are you studying at (A-level, BTEC e.t.c.). You are still protected under the Disability Discimination Act (1995) and shouldn't be placed at a disadvantaged compared to a non-disabled student. However,finding the funding in further education can be more difficult.

Have you spoken to student support/welfare staff at your college?

I'd recommend getting in touch with the Educational Grants Service. They provide a list of charitable trusts who offer funding to certain students in further education, providing they meet certain criteria.

Also see the relevant Skill booklets
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My stuff has been delivered And I am typing this now from my new laptop!!!
    It was nowhere near as awkward as I thought it would be, the man was only here for about 20minutes!

ReputationRep:
    My stuff has been delivered And I am typing this now from my new laptop!!!
    It was nowhere near as awkward as I thought it would be, the man was only here for about 20minutes!
    Don't they just drop it off and leave or what?

ReputationRep:
    My supplier is taking forever to sort things out. It's stressing me out now. They say they had to go back to the assessment centre because they forgot to add the cost of delivery to the quote.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    My supplier is taking forever to sort things out. It's stressing me out now. They say they had to go back to the assessment centre because they forgot to add the cost of delivery to the quote.
    How irritating Hopefully they'll become more efficient and soon :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    How irritating Hopefully they'll become more efficient and soon :console:
    Here's hoping!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by BigV)
    Don't they just drop it off and leave or what?
    My supplier set it up for me, to check it all worked, but it was still very efficient. But obviously it depends on the supplier. I went through IANSYST and EQUINOX delivered.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Does anyone else have the Toshiba Satellite Pro? If so, does the keyboard buzz a bit when you type quickly? I've emailed Iansyst for their advice.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have the Toshiba Satellite Pro? If so, does the keyboard buzz a bit when you type quickly? I've emailed Iansyst for their advice.
    That's the one I'm getting. Luckily I can't type fast.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    That's the one I'm getting. Luckily I can't type fast.
    Lol, i'm a touch typer so i've got permission to use it in lectures
    Hopefully it's fixable. Other than that it's a good laptop! Very impressed!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, i'm a touch typer so i've got permission to use it in lectures
    Hopefully it's fixable. Other than that it's a good laptop! Very impressed!
    Awessome. I'm looking forward to my equipment being delivered. It's gonna be like my birthday...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Awessome. I'm looking forward to my equipment being delivered. It's gonna be like my birthday...
    Hehe, it is really exciting!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, it is really exciting!
    But I'm well confused about not being able to open it until someone comes to open it all for me. I hope they come quickly. It arrives on the 14th and I move to uni on the 24th and I want to have had my training before I go.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    But I'm well confused about not being able to open it until someone comes to open it all for me. I hope they come quickly. It arrives on the 14th and I move to uni on the 24th and I want to have had my training before I go.
    What do you mean? The person who delivered it set it up for me? That's usually how it goes.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.