Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's me again...
    after getting all of the rejections.... I am deciding whether to go to UCLA or Imperial Chem Eng.
    I NEED HELP!!!
    I want an amazing uni life and also to be prepared for my future career... Which one should I choose? :confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruruluk)
    It's me again...
    after getting all of the rejections.... I am deciding whether to go to UCLA or Imperial Chem Eng.
    I NEED HELP!!!
    I want an amazing uni life and also to be prepared for my future career... Which one should I choose? :confused::confused:
    I am not worried abt the cost. From what I gathered, UCLA seems to have quite a lot more internship and future job opportunities due to their strong alumni support and networking...
    need to decide by 1/5 .... !!!! : (

ReputationRep:
    I am not worried abt the cost. From what I gathered, UCLA seems to have quite a lot more internship and future job opportunities due to their strong alumni support and networking...
    need to decide by 1/5 .... !!!! : (
    Check out my advice about transferring from UCLA to another school after your first yr. If that's not your intention, then Imperial...and I wouldn't even think twice.

ReputationRep:
    UCLA definitely has a strong alumni network and a strong academic program. Overall, it is one of the best in the world. If you have time, try to visit both schools to get a feel over where you would like to be. From what I've heard, Imperial is also fantastic. At this point, it isn't a discussion over which is better, but where you see yourself. Also try going on college confidential for more specific information about UCLA's chemical engineering program. Imperial is of course a math and science school, but I wouldn't rule out UCLA if I were you until you really look into it. visit

ReputationRep:
    It's me again...
    I NEED HELP!!!
    If you're worried about social life, I would not pick Imperial over UCLA. I feel Imperial's academics would probably be somewhat better (and more affordable in the long run), but in the end it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharri5)
    At this point, it isn't a discussion over which is better,
    You're right, Imperial is better, hands down.

No but seriously, they're both excellent schools, but Imperial is known for its Engineering program, and chem eng is also one of their best departments (5* rating in latest UK research assessment or whatever it's called).

ReputationRep:
    I had to make a similar decision (UCLA vs LSE) so I know how it feels!
    Truth is, in terms of prestige and job opportunities, I think Imperial wins, hands down. Imperial really is held in higher regard by employers, and I think having its name on your cv would go a long way in helping you get a good job.
    YET, if you're undecided about what you want to do, UCLA would be a good choice. The American system allows alot more room for experimentation, and you'll be able to take a wide variety of courses, totally unrelated to Chem Eng, unlike the UK system.
    The social life would probably be better in UCLA, but you could always carve out a good life for yourself in Imperial. I, personally, wouldn't choose a good social life over a good career, but to each his own
    In the end, it depends on where you want to live and work after university. If you want to stay in the UK, Imperial would probably be a better choice.

ReputationRep:
    If you can afford it, UCLA. Though Imperial would be amazing. Idk

ReputationRep:
    Imperial may be known for engineering, but it still may not be the right fit for her. IMO a visit would do a lot-- either confirm imperial or reject it. I'm sure imperial is probably the frontrunner, how can it not be? But if someone works as hard as she cleary has (to be accepted into those schools in the first place) she owes it to herself to fully research which one is right for her. Posting on forums will get the predictable biased answers-- which is okay because they still provide insight into the schools--but I don't know if I would let john from anywhere,anyworld weigh heavily on my decision. although i'm sure a smart person like her will be fine wherever she goes.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your helpful opinions!!! : )
    I realised that I might have some interest in being an actuary.... so I might go to UCLA and try it out.... but I am a bit worried that UCLA might NOT have a strong enough reputation to help me get an internship or placement in US or anywhere else.... I am deeply troubled right now... my parents think that both schools are quite good and left the choice to me..... should I just forget abt being an actuary and go to Imperial Chem Eng(which seems to be the popular choice)? does anyone know the job opportunities of a UCLA undergrad and Imperial undergrad?? I don't mind working in UK or US or asia.....

IMO I'd go UCLA but that is just me as I like the sun and I have an accent so I'd get laid more than I do right now :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Imperial

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.