Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

You all seem to be a lot more clued up that I am, so I was hoping for a little advice on where to take my post-grad in order to further my ambition of becoming a management consultant. Realistically speaking, I can't see myself getting into McKinsey, Bain or the BCG, but I would aim for someone like Accenture.

As it stands, I've been accepted into:

Durham - MA Management
    St Andrews - Mlitt International Business
    Edinburgh - MSc Management
    Bristol - MSc Management
    Nottingham - MSc Management
    KCL - MSc Managament
    York - MSc Strategic Management and International Business
    Newcastle - MA International Business

I am, however, still waiting to hear back from Warwick for MSc Business Consulting and Analytics.

From looking at the target Uni, Warwick would seem like the most appropriate although obviously I am still waiting to hear back from them and looking at the course website, it would appear Durham's Management programme is well regarded by Accenture whereas those who have gone into consulting from Bristol do not seem to be as prestigious companies. I’m not too keen on KCL, not that I have anything against the University, but I’d like to take my post-grad outside of London as that’s where I plan to live again so would enjoy somewhere a little different.

I have a year's work experience as a City-based process management consultant, which should help my initial application post-Uni.

Cheers,

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    For accenture etc, it doesn't matter too much. You need to concentrate on getting relevant experience/ consulting knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Smtn, I've applied for an internship at a Strategy Consulting firm in Bristol for the summer and am hoping to hear from them soon.

I think that I am going to remove the bottom four of the list I created, and then wait to hear back from Warwick so it will be out of: Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Warwick or Bristol. I think for course content, Warwick may be the most suited and is probably the most targeted Uni, whereas for all of its prestige and history, I'm not sure whether St Andrews and, moreover, an MLitt in International Business would as well regarded by consultancy firms. Durham’s collegiate system really appeals to me – while Bristol and Edinburgh don’t seem to be as domestically well regarded, they have the edge in the international rankings.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, KCL is your best choice after Warwick. The brand name holds and their Business School is one of the best in the country.

Having been at Durham's Business School, I can tell you that they're not that great.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick, the rest are fairly equal imo (except york/newcastle)

Durham is not hot for management.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys.

WokSZ - Did you study at the Postgrad business school there? I've read that the Queen's Campus in Stockton isn't great, but wasn't sure about the Post grad Business School apart from it being somewhere in the 70s or 80s in Europe according to the FT.

Cheers again Smtn - Durham claim that their MA Management course is the 9best in the UK and #55 in the World (according to the FT), but I'm not sure if that really counts for much as league tables don't seem to taken so seriously in here.

I think that i'll hold out for Warwick, just have a few deadlines on the others coming up and wouldn't want to pass them over if a get a rejection.

ReputationRep:
    9th best in the uk isn't much to brag about for MA, the FT list misses out universities also. For comparison, the uni (Aston) I did both my business degrees at is usually 3rd-5th in the UK on that list and many places above Durham (which isn't at all strong for business):

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...-in-management

I also am unaware of KCL's business rep.

If you want to ignore department proficiency and ride on the overall uni reps, go for Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh, St Andrews. Uni 'brand' will only matter for getting past the CV screening stage at Top tier strategy consultancies. Firms like Accenture/Big 4 consulting will be very easy to get to interview stage, and then it's predominantly on how well you perform irrespective of academic background

ReputationRep:
    Decided to accept Warwick

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.