Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I need a new pair of hair straighteners, since the pair I have are broken. I'm looking for some advice on which ones to buy. I don't want to spend a lot of money, £20 at most. I have sholder length hair than can be prone to frizz.

I've had a look at these ones from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...AIGHTENERS.htm

These did have a similar set with digital controls, but they are out of stock.

ReputationRep:
    I'd seriously recommend you spend a little more and invest in some GHD's. I've had mine for 3 years and they've never broken, and they're the best pair of straighteners I've ever had! Maybe you can get them for cheap on ebay? That's my recommendation.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A lot of people recommend GHD, all my friends use it.

Although I use Babyliss and it still works fine fo rme I have had it for three years too.

It really depends on how you use it. I think GHD is the best though.

ReputationRep:
    i have really curly hair and have used a number of different straighteners from Remington to Babyliss to Panasonic and nothing has done as good a job as GHDs. From my experience I would recommend GHDs, even though they are a bit costly they will be a one time investment and last you forever. They give the best shine and do not even ruin your hair. I <3 mine.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of people will recommend ghd. But I definately wouldn't. If you do a bit of googling you will see how prone they are to "blowing" up and whatnot. A hairdresser recommended me FHI which are very similar to GHD but half the price. So far I've been through 2 pairs of GHD (one lasted 8 months, the other 1 year) and one pair of FHI (lasted 2 years so far) and would definately recommend FHI. Pretty much exactly the same imo but are about £60. Would really recommend spending a bitmore than £20 if you don't want to ruin your hair.

ReputationRep:
    How straight is your hair naturally? I have GHD's and some cheap ones which I leave at my boyfriends. The cheap ones are only good if I've blow dried my hair pretty much straight already. They're absolutly pants at straightening out my wavy hair, and its not even that curly! My housemate has those straighteners, and they work fine for her, but she also has naturally straight hair.

ReputationRep:
    I have really natural curly hair, and I've tried so many straighteners. I currently have 3 different pairs for different uses;

-Thick plate GHDs for general straightening - nothing compares, honestly!
    -Slim plate Toni and Guy for my fringe - terrible for general straightening but I needed some cheap slim plate ones just for my fringe.
    -Remington wet to straight - they don't actually make my hair go wet to straight, they are just really handy if I'm in a rush and don't have time with wet hair (hair dryers take AGES with me).

I've had others and they have been useless. Really depends how curly your hair is.

ReputationRep:
    I have wet to straight and I'd really recommend them for frizzy hair cos you cut down on frizz if you're straightening from wet and don't have to blow dry your hair first. They keep my curly hair straight until the next time I wash it.

ReputationRep:
    £15 one from Superdrug

ReputationRep:
    I can vouch for http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-TRES...1872164&sr=8-1

ReputationRep:
    I would really recommend you spend some more on straighteners, in my experience cheaper straighteners have always been bad, the cheapest ones i've tried are vidal sassoon and were only good if I had practically blow dryed my hair straight, and not even great then!

(Original post by snufkin_)
    a lot of people will recommend ghd. But I definately wouldn't. If you do a bit of googling you will see how prone they are to &quot;blowing&quot; up and whatnot. A hairdresser recommended me FHI which are very similar to GHD but half the price. So far I've been through 2 pairs of GHD (one lasted 8 months, the other 1 year) and one pair of FHI (lasted 2 years so far) and would definately recommend FHI. Pretty much exactly the same imo but are about £60. Would really recommend spending a bitmore than £20 if you don't want to ruin your hair.
    I've only heard of the counterfeit ones doing that tbh, the GHD i have now is nearly a year old and works perfectly. I had one before that that lasted me around 3/4 years would have worked perfectly still but I kept on dropping it and juststopped working properly! I have eard very good things about FHI though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LettersFromTheSky)
    I would really recommend you spend some more on straighteners, in my experience cheaper straighteners have always been bad, the cheapest ones i've tried are vidal sassoon and were only good if I had practically blow dryed my hair straight, and not even great then!

I've only heard of the counterfeit ones doing that tbh, the GHD i have now is nearly a year old and works perfectly. I had one before that that lasted me around 3/4 years would have worked perfectly still but I kept on dropping it and juststopped working properly! I have eard very good things about FHI though.
    Twice mine where bought from the GHD website so hardly counterfeit. Once they just randomly stopped working and the other one they did "blow" up... After contacting GHD and getting a full refund is when I started researching the issue and realised that it is a very common complaint with GHD's and usually it is not the counterfeit ones as GHD acidentally created a whole faulty batch/series. However this was a few years ago so the issue should in theory be fixed by now...!

ReputationRep:
    I have had sooo many pairs of straightners and I couldnt live without my GHD's but for some cheaper ones I would probably suggest either remington or nicky clarke ones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Hi

I need a new pair of hair straighteners, since the pair I have are broken. I'm looking for some advice on which ones to buy. I don't want to spend a lot of money, £20 at most. I have sholder length hair than can be prone to frizz.

I've had a look at these ones from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...AIGHTENERS.htm

These did have a similar set with digital controls, but they are out of stock.
    i got amika

http://yourflatirons.com/wp-content/...Flat-Irons.jpg

its really good and cheaper than GHDs...ive had it for about 2 years now and its fine...

ReputationRep:
    If you want straighteners for under £20 (and to everyone saying 'save up a bit more and get something better', that isn't always an option - what if she's like 14 and relying on pocket money?) I use Vidal Sassoon, and mine have lasted for 4 years They're not amazing, but they will make your hair an awful lot straighter, and the ceramic plates etc mean that I've never noticed any dryness or frizz with them.

ReputationRep:
    ghd's are no better than any other hair straighteners...
    i complained about my hair straighteners... my old flatmates responses "omg borrow my GHD's" which i did in a try before you buy type way.... no better but cost 10billion times more!... what a waste all your doing is paying for a name...

i now have babyliss ones which are good i loves em... had them 3 or 4 years now

the issue i have with hair straighteners now there all teeny! my sisters just got into the having hair straighteners/make up etc age and looking for hair straighteners for her was a nightmare... takes about twice as long to do my hair because the plates are smaller... why do they keep doing this!!! ggrrr!!

not good for your hair but make it mega straight mega quick are the argos value ones i had to go buy some for when im in a hurry after borrowing a housemates only £4.99 but they are aluminium plates so will eat your hair alive :|

i would also recommend checking they have a "swivel" cord... my first set of straighteners broke because they didnt, purple and blue sparks did occur though

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...uctInformation < the new (and slightly cheaper) version of the ones i have

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...uctInformation < also look quite good...

then the ones you put up yourself may be perfectly fine i just have this irrational hate of VO5 lol
    x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.