The Student Room Group

Changing course on first year result? Help!

I am currently studying Sociology at Liverpool University, I'm in my first year but I would be very interested in switching to Law if this is possible. Unfortunately I don't have the A level results to qualify for Law at Liverpool but I was wondering whether an average of a first in Sociology for the first year (which I currently have) would make me applicable for the change. I know I need to talk to the relevant departments but does anyone have any idea if this is possible?
Reply 1
Original post by mrdoc321
I am currently studying Sociology at Liverpool University, I'm in my first year but I would be very interested in switching to Law if this is possible. Unfortunately I don't have the A level results to qualify for Law at Liverpool but I was wondering whether an average of a first in Sociology for the first year (which I currently have) would make me applicable for the change. I know I need to talk to the relevant departments but does anyone have any idea if this is possible?

I'm pretty sure you can depending on what university you choose, but your best bet would be the ex poly's or colleges. So in Liverpool your best bet would be Hope.

I only say this as my first year was taking a combined honours in 2 subjects and I switched into 2nd year doing single honours in a completely different discipline at a specific insitution but I am picking up a few first year modules to improve my knowledge.
Reply 2
I would only be willing to change to Law within University of Liverpool, would prefer to remain studying Sociology at a redbrick than Law at an ex poly. I guess the question is does a 1st in the first year of a degree trump bad A level results (BBC)?
Reply 3
in my opinion - No. When I was looking at transferring.. also no. When I was transferring all uni's wanted to see exactly my A Levl grades and wanted to meet tthe requirements already set.

But this will also depend on if there are spaces on the courses. And if you have enough subject knowledge. Evidently lecturers may be a bit iffy about letting you transfer into 2nd year if you won't be u to scratch.

But then, the only person that can truly answer your questions are the professers at the university of liverpool.
As you are aware, the only person who can really answer this is the admissions staff in the law department at Liverpool. However, I would have to say your chances are not very good.

As you will not have the prerequisite modules to enter into year 2 it would be likely that any potential offer for first year entry would be based on both your current results and your A levels. As well as this, you would be trying to transfer to Law, which without knowing the numbers at Liverpool, is likely to be one of the most highly subscribed courses they have (as it is with most universities). All in all it isn't looking too great in my opinion, but maybe they have some sort of transfer policy that I am unaware of at Liverpool whereby you might be made an offer based on your first year grades.

Quick Reply

Latest