Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Food you buy, and then never use... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    We're all guilty of doing this. Buying an item you think you'll use, and swear you will, but then it takes up permanent residence in the back of the cupboard.

Mine is cornflour. I bought it way back before I started uni with the idea that I'd bake every weekend. Then the assignments started...

I also always buy mayonnaise, and then only end up using about 3 dollops of it before it reaches the use by date. Using a whole jar in a month is too much for me!

Eggs. And then throw them out. :facepalm2:
    Green tea
    Mustard
    Sunflower seeds
    Jam
    Oatcakes

ReputationRep:
    Pesto. I'll use it once then forget I have it, only to discover it covered in mould months later. :yucky:

ReputationRep:
    Sachets - custard, angel delight, that sort of thing. They're quite cheap in the supermarket, so I pick them up, but I never feel like making them.
    Mustard
    Carrots

ReputationRep:
    Specialty Teas.

I'll buy some weird concoction then be too scared to use it

ReputationRep:
    I can never get through a whole cucumber before it goes out of date, it always goes all mushy and liquified in the bottom of my fridge!

ReputationRep:
    Bread. I very rarely eat bread, so I very rarely buy it. I thought it would be nice to have some proper bread in though, so I bought some tiger bread on Tuesday. It is still sat here untouched. I tend to throw it in the freezer and then chuck it out when I move out at the end of the year. :/

Soya Milk. Same problem. A litre carton is too much. I maybe have one bowl of cereal with it in a week and that's all. Thankfully, I get the ones with long dates - the one in the fridge atm has been in there for three weeks untouched.

ReputationRep:
    Marmite.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really good here at least I have some rice that I got before I started uni, but it's good until 2012 and I plan to start using it next week...

I always throw a few pieces of bread out, because they get a little dry. (The two ends because I don't like ends + the piece next to each end. So 2 ends + 2 slices in every loaf).

I'm not very interesting in this thread, am I? You're wanting me to say "I buy a whole farm of chickens and two dozen bagels every other day and NEVER eat them!" sorry for disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    Man i NEVER buy food I then throw out! Is this just me? I use everything.. NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

ReputationRep:
    I avoid this issue by never having more than 1-2 day's worth food in the fridge :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Mayo, I only use a little bit with tuna so I never get to use it all. Oh, and same with pesto, I use the tiniest bit. How long can you keep pesto for?

I also have an unopened jar of gravy granules as I said I'd start making myself roast dinners on a Sunday.

Also got a lot of packets of soup mix I can't be bothered to make because I have to measure out the water.

Edit: how can I forget porridge! I start with good intentions but it's just TOO much effort in the mornings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    I avoid this issue by never having more than 1-2 day's worth food in the fridge :yep:
    I've run out of rep points, so I'm going to have to verbally assent to this. Although I do keep some "emergency food" in the cupboard, like a few packets of noodles or tins of soup. They always seem to get eaten before emergencies though. >_>

ReputationRep:
    Granola. I have a bowl of it and give up because it cracks my braces. Also, herbal tea. I always go back to PG Tips..

ReputationRep:
    I buy things like carrots and celery with the intention of making soup but never do.

Im planning on starting to use up everything i have before i buy more but it gets to Monday and i think aaggghhh i have to go shopping!! and then come back with more stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Best Superlative)
    I've run out of rep points, so I'm going to have to verbally assent to this. Although I do keep some "emergency food" in the cupboard, like a few packets of noodles or tins of soup. They always seem to get eaten before emergencies though. >_>
    I consider 3am munchies to be an emergency, I wouldn't want to be fainting from hypoglycaemia at that time of night. And thus I don't have to feel guilty about scoffing my emergency supplies.

ReputationRep:
    Humous - I love it but it only lasts like 2 days, I would die of guilt if I ate the whole pot in that time. I hate that little wheel on top with the red, orange and green sections for like fat, salt etc. On humous I just glance and see RED RED RED. I used to buy little stickers to cover up those things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Some of us have to take 2 buses to go to the supermarket!

ReputationRep:
    Fruit and vegetables.

I live entirely on bread, ready meals, baked beans and frozen pizzas.

ReputationRep:
    I was just gonna say fruit! I buy it but then cos its not in season it tastes like crap like the satsumas i bought the other day

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.