Turn on thread page Beta

Food you buy, and then never use... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    I was just gonna say fruit! I buy it but then cos its not in season it tastes like crap like the satsumas i bought the other day
    The tangerines I'm buying (almost the same) are great! Get Sainsbury's Taste the Difference, or whichever thing is more expensive at your supermarket. It does make a difference. And they are nom.

ReputationRep:
    Soup! There are numerous tins of soup in my cupboard at uni, it's so easy to make and so nice, but I just never do for some reason!
    In fact, the only time I eat soup is when I'm not well because it's so easy to make and it's fine to eat with a sore throat and whatnot. But for some reason I pick up some every time I go shopping!
    It keeps for ages though so it's all good
    Also- veg for making soup. at the start of the year I bought 2 lots of ingredients for sweet potato soup, made one batch and it was an epic fail. So instead of using more seasoning or whatever to try and make it better, I just never made it again. So a few weeks later I was cleaning out my cupboard and found a sweet potato with baby potatoes growing out of it and some mush in a bag that I can only assume was a carrot at some point. Eugh!

ReputationRep:
    I never throw things out unless they're visibly/smell off. I totally ignore best before dates on almost everything - I am a little cautious with meat and fish which is past its best before date, but if it smells and looks ok, I take the opinion that it IS ok and make sure I cook it thoroughly just in case. I've never yet given myself food poisoning, so this seems to be a good enough policy.

Best before dates are usually MASSIVELY over cautious and on some things, totally unnecessary - some things really will last prettymuch forever. Don't set too much store by them.

If I ever buy something and then decide I don't like it, I can guarantee that either my OH will eat it or, if that fails, the dogs will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    We're all guilty of doing this. Buying an item you think you'll use, and swear you will, but then it takes up permanent residence in the back of the cupboard.

Mine is cornflour. I bought it way back before I started uni with the idea that I'd bake every weekend. Then the assignments started...

I also always buy mayonnaise, and then only end up using about 3 dollops of it before it reaches the use by date. Using a whole jar in a month is too much for me!

yes cornflour! i bought some when i started uni two years ago, never used it in halls and its since moved into my house for the 2nd year of uni and currently at the back of the cupboard haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    I never throw things out unless they're visibly/smell off. I totally ignore best before dates on almost everything - I am a little cautious with meat and fish which is past its best before date, but if it smells and looks ok, I take the opinion that it IS ok and make sure I cook it thoroughly just in case. I've never yet given myself food poisoning, so this seems to be a good enough policy.

Best before dates are usually MASSIVELY over cautious and on some things, totally unnecessary - some things really will last prettymuch forever. Don't set too much store by them.

If I ever buy something and then decide I don't like it, I can guarantee that either my OH will eat it or, if that fails, the dogs will
    yea best before dates are use by dates are different, i definitely use food like a week after its best before date cos it looks/tastes/smells fine

ReputationRep:

Totally agree. I buy mainly loose, fresh vegetables and they obviously don't come with dates. The fruit and veg I get with dates, I ignore. With potatoes etc, I just cut off the bad bits and use the rest.

Slightly cautious with fresh tofu and soya milk, just because I don't have any real guidance on them as my family don't use them.

I am a big fan of the freezer though. If I think I won't get around to using vegetables etc soon, I blanch and freeze them for later on. I even do it with things like pandan leaves.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Baked beans...I bought loads thinking "I'm a student now, I'll eat a lot of beans on toast"...I haven't eaten any beans on toast...but I have traded my baked beans away for stuff like bacon :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    People annoy me when they're like oh it's the expiry date better throw it away, when there is absolutely nothing wrong with it!

Also my mum always buys hummus and coleslaw and it never gets eaten and just stinks out the fridge.

ReputationRep:
    Jam. It's nice to have some jam in the fridge for the occasional jam on toast, or croissants, or scones or something, but since I don't eat toast unless we've run out of cereal, and we don't have croissants or scones very often, whenever you go back to use it there's a nice spot or two of mould waiting!

ReputationRep:
    Milk! I don't drink tea or coffee and usually get up and decide I might as well wait a couple of hours and eat lunch so don't eat cereal even though I have it in the cupboard with the best intentions of eating it. So my milk just sits in the fridge until I decide I'm not going to use it as it only has a few days left on its date and I won't use it anytime soon and give it to one of my flatmates.

Butter... I don't eat enough bread to warrant an entire tub so it has a few scrapings out of it and then runs out.

I have all stuff in my cupboard for baking too, which hasn't been touched since I started Uni.

Uhm... So much other stuff as well!

ReputationRep:
    all foods, basically, i live off of soup and yoghurts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    People annoy me when they're like oh it's the expiry date better throw it away, when there is absolutely nothing wrong with it!

Also my mum always buys hummus and coleslaw and it never gets eaten and just stinks out the fridge.

I remember when I was at school, one of the girls in my class had been given a box of strawberries by her mum in her packed lunch and she started whinging about how stupid her mum was and refused to eat them because they'd passed their expiry date. There was nothing wrong with the things! The rest of us had them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    I avoid this issue by never having more than 1-2 day's worth food in the fridge :yep:
    I also agree with this. I do a midweek shop and a weekend shop, and only buy food for the next few days each time, so I never really waste anything. Anything I don't plan to eat pretty much straight away I stick in the freezer.

Wasting food because you're too lazy to plan properly when millions are starving is utterly repugnant.

ReputationRep:
    Bags of salad&spinach=v short shelf life but i try and eat the leaves that aren't brown/soggy

Fresh herbs=I buy them when trying new dishes so there's always a bit of waste. This week I froze loads and hopefully I'll add them to sauces later.

Pesto=you make pasta one day but you forget about it...mould.

Houmous=I can NEVER finish a tub..they should make smaller tubs!

Fresh bread=it goes all hard and rubbery after a few days..which make it taste evil and you throw it away

Potatoes=I use a couple but they last aaaaaages. Well I use them until they go all squishy...and keep them in the fridge. :ahee:

Mayo=the jars are too big for the amount of Tuna mayo you actually make. Well unless you ate it EVERY day-which is just boring.

I hate throwing things away.

ReputationRep:
    I wish french bread last longer. I buy it cos i LOOOOOOOVE it with soup but i have a tiny bit and then it goes hard really quickly

ReputationRep:
    I always buy stuff then end up going to see my boyfriend, so don't get chance to use it. The worst thing is salad. I'll buy a bag, make a sandwich/wrap and then it'll be bad by the time I get back.

The thing that I never eat is tinned tomatoes. They're so versatile, so I buy loads, but then never eat them all. I have about 3 tins downstairs. Next pay day though, it'll be another round of chilli making, and I'll make a huge chilli and freeze most of it.

Also, stuff like cottage cheese, I never eat the end. Or feta cheese. It always tastes funny because it's been so long. Sometimes I wonder if its turned psychological on me now!

I only buy a pint of milk at a time, and sometimes never finish that (only really have cuppas).

Pretty much everything else I buy, I freeze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    I wish french bread last longer. I buy it cos i LOOOOOOOVE it with soup but i have a tiny bit and then it goes hard really quickly
    Par baked rolls/baguettes are your friend They're not really a patch on proper french bread, but at least they're somewhere near and you can freeze what you don't use

ReputationRep:
    Food you buy, and then never use...
    I don't use food, I eat it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yes, pesto definitely.

Pasta is probably another one but for some reason the pasta sauces always seem to disappear :holmes:.

ReputationRep:

Why should I be negged for this? If you're going to neg me, please have the courtesy to make a post with a reason! I'm honestly not going to neg you back, but it's pretty pointless to neg and not have a counter argument!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.