Turn on thread page Beta

How can I get onto an undergrad social work degree with crap A-levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I really want to do a social work degree but I don't have enough UCAS points (I got grades CCE at A-level). I was at university for 2 years studying philosophy but I screwed that up too and ended up failing/dropping out.

I'm 21 now and I finally know what I want to do but I don't know the best way to go about it...

Should I re-sit my A-levels or go back to college and do a social care course? Or should I just get a job as a care assistant and work my way up?

All the courses I've seen on UCAS require at least 280 points plus work experience. The only work experience I have is caring for an elderly lady with dementia part time for 2 years if that even counts?

Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxamethystxx)
    Hi, I really want to do a social work degree but I don't have enough UCAS points (I got grades CCE at A-level). I was at university for 2 years studying philosophy but I screwed that up too and ended up failing/dropping out.

I'm 21 now and I finally know what I want to do but I don't know the best way to go about it...

Should I re-sit my A-levels or go back to college and do a social care course? Or should I just get a job as a care assistant and work my way up?

All the courses I've seen on UCAS require at least 280 points plus work experience. The only work experience I have is caring for an elderly lady with dementia part time for 2 years if that even counts?

Help!
    It's worth approaching the course leaders at your target institutions IMO - they can relax the points requirement for mature students (21+) with relevant life experience or failing that at least suggest you some alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    Try ringing up the course leaders at the colleges/universities you want to apply to. Explain your situation to them and ask, what would be the best way to go about improving your application. For instance, would it be better to go back to college and re-sit A levels or get a part time job in a social setting/voluntary work experience along with some other qualification like Health and Social Care NVQs?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I've emailed the admissions department at two different universities and they've both pretty much said I should go back to college and do a one year access to social work course rather than waste two years resitting my A-levels. I've just applied to a college so hopefully I'll get accepted!

ReputationRep:
    Can you not get a job as a caretaker and work your way up while doing a part time Open University Social work degree? Then when you graduate you can move about with a degree and experience?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.