The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine

Hi all,
Just looking for some advice as I'd like to apply to medicine when I finish my current degree in 2013.
I'm currently studying an undergraduate degree at a Scottish university, and will graduate in 2013. I have a higher and advanced higher in one science, and I didn't ever apply to medicine as my grades did not meet the requirements and I had never studied chemistry. Now, after I've been at uni for two years, I realise that medicine is what I really want to do. I understand it will be difficult, and competition for graduate course places is much higher than in an undergrad course, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me?
I was thinking that I could maybe try to sit an AS level in Bio and Chem next year alongside uni studies, shouldn't be too hard as I'm rather intelligent (sorry for sounding arrogant) and over summer try to get some work experience in a hospital or GP practice. I don't want to burden myself with sitting a full A level while I'm in my final year at uni, so I think the AS level may be the most sensible option. I know it's gonna be hard, but I'm prepared to try. I was going to sit the UKCAT and maybe the BMAT and then, even if I don't make the 4 year course, I could try for a 5 year UG course?
Also, I have had problems in the past with mental health problems such as OCD and depression. Will this affect my application if I've been stable for a certain amount of time when applying?
Thanks in advance,
x
Reply 1
Original post by BigBang09

I was thinking that I could maybe try to sit an AS level in Bio and Chem next year alongside uni studies, shouldn't be too hard as I'm rather intelligent (sorry for sounding arrogant) and over summer try to get some work experience in a hospital or GP practice. I don't want to burden myself with sitting a full A level while I'm in my final year at uni, so I think the AS level may be the most sensible option.

I'm currently studying AS Bio at the moment whilst working a 25hr week and volunteering at two different places and it's tough going. Don't underestimate how much work AS Biology involves, and you'll have to do it through an online/distance learning company so as to meet the practical requirements which have to be signed off on. Then have to find somewhere to sit the exams and it can prove tricky. Also, few if any places offer AS Chem distance learning because of the practical element (Biology is much easier in those terms as you can do the practicals at home). Plus the cost of the course and exams (I've spent close to £500 so far).

Given that AS exams are January or May, what happens if one of your AS exams is the same day of a university exam, what would you do then?

GP work experience is VERY hard to get hold of because of patient confidentiality.

I know it's gonna be hard, but I'm prepared to try. I was going to sit the UKCAT and maybe the BMAT and then, even if I don't make the 4 year course, I could try for a 5 year UG course?
Also, I have had problems in the past with mental health problems such as OCD and depression. Will this affect my application if I've been stable for a certain amount of time when applying?

You'll need UKCAT and more likely GAMSAT than BMAT (no GEP course use it in the same way 5 year courses do). What's your degree subject? As depending on what degree course you're doing, you might only be open to 9 courses (4 of which use GAMSAT as their entry requirement)

No ideas on health issues, sorry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending