Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Trying to decide between the two, and I need some advice!! I'm an American student, btw, and somewhat clueless as to the comparitive reputations of each

1) War Studies at King's
    Pros:
    * best location, by far- I prefer to be in a city, and I love London
    * interesting program, supposedly renowned (?)
    Cons:
    * not sure of the name recognition Kings would bring here or in the US
    * the program ("War Studies") seems very specialized and narrow, perhaps wouldn't allow for a wide range of career choices

2) Politics/IR at Edinburgh
    Pros:
    * in Edinburgh, a lovely city
    * name recognition (?) perhaps more so than the other two
    * highly flexible degree program (Scottish system!), would even be able to study law
    Cons:
    * prefer London to Edinburgh
    * 4 years instead of 3

Also, if anyone could tell me what the student life is like at each, I would really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    The War Studies programme at King's has a very good reputation and is seen as being qutie prestigious. I don't know what the name recognition is like in the US, but in the UK it's very good. It's seen as a good IR programme, so shouldn't cause you a problem career wise (do you know what you want to do?). However, Edinburgh is a good university too.

In terms of the programme, King's does appear to have quite a lot of options within its programme, although Edinburgh may be more flexible.

I think if I had that choice I would choose King's, particularly as you want to be in London, because, in my opinion, it's a better university, and the programme has a good repuation. But I imagine some people will disagree with me, and as I said, Edinburgh is still a very good option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Jules)
    The War Studies programme at King's has a very good reputation and is seen as being qutie prestigious. I don't know what the name recognition is like in the US, but in the UK it's very good. It's seen as a good IR programme, so shouldn't cause you a problem career wise (do you know what you want to do?). However, Edinburgh is a good university too.

In terms of the programme, King's does appear to have quite a lot of options within its programme, although Edinburgh may be more flexible.

I think if I had that choice I would choose King's, particularly as you want to be in London, because, in my opinion, it's a better university, and the programme has a good repuation. But I imagine some people will disagree with me, and as I said, Edinburgh is still a very good option.
    Thanks, leaning towards Kings now!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.