The Student Room Group

Posh girls, would you go for a guy who wasn't posh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aack
Who is Sol?

Hi - I'm Sol - did somebody call?
Reply 41
If the guy is cultured, has travelled significantly, dresses well is ambitious and generally fun to be with, I don't care if he isn't from the same social class as me. Guys that are tacky, unhygenic and really cheap (i.e. couldn't fork out for a few drinks) are a turn-off. It's more how one presents themselves. Even if a guy wasn't that rich but was well dressed, well groomed and intelligent, I would date him. Ambition matters. But it would make things easier if he wasn't poor i.e. he could afford holidays, nice places to go out to/eat etc. I would understand if he couldn't do it all the time, but sometimes would be nice.
Reply 42
I think some competitively posh people think that at the very least you must go to private school to be 'middle class'. To me though, private school, virtually any one=posh.
Reply 43
Original post by Chillaxer
To me though, private school, virtually any one=posh.

This is a huge misconception. The majority of the parents sending their kids to private schools can only just afford to do so, and often will not take any holidays or buy new things to compensate.

Of course you do get private schools with fees so high that you would have to be posh/loaded to go, but most aren't like that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
The word posh is awful.
Lol in my relationship, its actually my boyfriend who's the privately-educated, has-a-large-inheritance posh one.

I come from a single- parent benefits family and we were homeless at one point, so the divide is pretty obvious.
Reply 46
For anyone who's interested here is a short article about the origins of posh...
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/port%20out%20starboard%20home.html
Reply 47
Yes.
Quite like a 'bit of rough' at times...
Reply 48
I go out with a posh girl atm, been with her for 2 years as well. I live on a council estate and she lives in a big detached house in the countryside...
I've had a boyfriend who was working class. The gap between us wasn't really about our accents or our families.
I wouldn't go out with a chav, I think.
It's not posh, it's just what someone is like if they aren't a chav...
Reply 51
This was my immediate reaction.

Reply 52
Original post by Powerlifter
The insecurity of the psedo posh is annoying. Anyone so desperate to cement a social status is missing out on life.

This. Same goes for race/religion etc.
Reply 53
Original post by Ilios_Lampros
Hi - I'm Sol - did somebody call?

-"And I can make a rhyme, anytime :wink:"
Reply 54
Original post by jpye11
This is a huge misconception. The majority of the parents sending their kids to private schools can only just afford to do so, and often will not take any holidays or buy new things to compensate.

Of course you do get private schools with fees so high that you would have to be posh/loaded to go, but most aren't like that.

Then they are a bit silly aren't they? They probably just can't be happy wt what they are.
Reply 55
Some may have that attitude but others may feel it's the only way for their children to have a chance in this competitive world.
Reply 56
Original post by Chillaxer
Then they are a bit silly aren't they? They probably just can't be happy wt what they are.

Heh, I think it's because they want the best for their kids. Which would make them happier than spending the money on other things.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 57
could you not pretend to be posh?, or would that not work?.
Reply 58
Original post by NyLonEd
Yes.
Quite like a 'bit of rough' at times...

PM me then.:wink:
Reply 59
Original post by licensedX
Im farily posh...and honestly no I wouldn't...it's not an arrogant thing it's just you want someone similar to you in background, values, education, culture etc

can i just ask why though? whats wrong with mixing with a different class i dont really get it.

Im middle class but when i meet a girl what would matter would be whether I found her physically attractive and whether we got on well with each other. I'd never rule someone out because of their class or background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending