The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I reckon 40 minutes.
Reply 2
Approximately a little less than an hour. I intend to hold pace of 6m/h when running the marathon this summer.
Reply 3
To be a good runner, 30-40 minutes. Fairly average person, maybe 45 minutes or so.
Reply 4
I think a fairly average person with little training would expect to do it in just under an hour. I run a lot and would be happy with 35-40mins. That would be me trying to keep a 6 minute mile pace, I don't expect people who don't run to do anywhere near that.
Reply 5
My six mile record is 34:19.

I'm a cross country runner though.
Im at around 50 minutes at the moment, new to running and its coming down every time i go.
Under an hour for a beginner

And then aim for like 50 mins after a while whilst the proper runners are running 35 mins ish...
In a race I did recently out of thousands the top 3 women's times were 36, 39 and 41 minutes and the top 3 men's were 31, 32 and 33 minutes. From that I'd say 40 minutes is pretty damn fast for a woman. I think for a woman an hour is pretty decent for a newish runner.

I think running without walking is good though tbh. :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
It wouldnt be too hard to run below 40, even with little training, if you were generally fit.
I have been a runner for a long time, but last year, aropund june time i stopped, but i carried on with cricket, and a bit of swimming, and biking to places, then in January, from about 2 training sessions, i managed 35.51 on a slow hilly course, so with a basic level of fitness, you could easily get below 40 :smile:
On average, around 40-50 minutes depending on your age and running ability. I'm 15 and I play netball for the South West of England in order to keep my fitness levels up, I joined a XC club and I now run competitively, I run 6 miles in around 28 minutes and my personal best is 26mins 42secs. If you keep working hard and training regularly, you will gradually get faster and become more confident in your running.
[QUOTE=smithiestfc;61706947]On average, around 40-50 minutes depending on your age and running ability. I'm 15 and I play netball for the South West of England in order to keep my fitness levels up, I joined a XC club and I now run competitively, I run 6 miles in around 28 minutes and my personal best is 26mins 42secs. If you keep working hard and training regularly, you will gradually get faster and become more confident in your running.

Mate.... 'Keeping training hard'! This is almost 5 years old, OP could be competing in Rio next year by now....
Cross country -40ish minutes

On roads - around 35 (don't have to trip on branches/jump through puddles)
Original post by smithiestfc
On average, around 40-50 minutes depending on your age and running ability. I'm 15 and I play netball for the South West of England in order to keep my fitness levels up, I joined a XC club and I now run competitively, I run 6 miles in around 28 minutes and my personal best is 26mins 42secs. If you keep working hard and training regularly, you will gradually get faster and become more confident in your running.

World record for men held by Ethiopian Kenenisa Bekele in the 10km is 26.17 mins while Chinese Wang Junxia holds similar record for women in about 29.31 mins. Olympic Games record for women is 29.54 mins held by Ethiopian Tirunesh Dibaba.

You claim you can run 6miles...approx(9.7km) in under 28 mins. That's amazing, maybe you'd get Britain a medal in 2016 Rio Olympics. I'm a man, athletic but can run that distance in about 44 mins.
Takes me an hour !
Reply 15
Around 42 minutes
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mother_eve3088
Random question here - but I wondered basically how long it would take (on average) to run 6m?

Depends on sex, exercise past and experience. Fastest guy I know runs it in 40-45 minutes. I know a few people who'd struggle to do it sub 1 and a half hours
It's more usual to run 10k (6.2 miles) so the times below reflect that (knock off 90 seconds or so for 6 miles)

For male club runners, 40 minutes is generally considered the time to aim for. This would be for people who run regularly, are fairly dedicated to training, but still have normal lives, aren't necessarily super fit etc. For a woman, sub 40 minutes would, in many smaller races, put them in the top 3.

More serious male club runners are aiming for sub 35. Under 30 and you are beginning to talk about being near elite level.

I've achieved 3 of my 4 big running targets (sub 19 5k, sub 1.30 half marathon, sub 3.30 marathon) but a sub 40 10k still eludes me. Admittedly, I don't often run the distance, and when I do it's within my marathon training- which can be a help or a hindrance. I can get sub 20 in a 5k on most days but doing that twice in a row is a much bigger ask. I'd be over the moon with 39.59; for other runners this would be a warm down jog. I was, a few years ago, over the moon to get under 55 minutes. The good thing is that there is always room to improve and everything is relative.

For a beginner runner, I'd say an hour would be a good time to aim for presuming aged under 40, reasonably fit, no big health problems, a few months' training, a flat course in good weather.
Reply 18
That's exactly what I was thinking. If you can do 28 mins then u should be in the Olympics.

My first 6 miles (while recovering from illness) was 46.30) - now that I'm feeling good. Do want it under 40 in a month
Reply 19
When I was training to get into the Royal Marines I ran 6miles in 35minutes at my best with a small pack on. I did this run 4 to 5 times per week but by the fourth run my times would slow to around 38minutes. Just generally fatigued. But it was a good foundation for me. I also do a lot of sprint and hill training and fight training which involved a lot of body weight exercises and circuits. It certainly helped with my running times and vice versa. If you are going to get into running I would always advise doing sprint training too.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest