Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My daughter is starting med school this year and I want to buy her a stethoscope as a gift. I read somewhere that a littmann se was best, can anyone advise please. Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Where is she going to medical school? Some places don't need you to get one as a first year - you might be better off giving some book tokens.

The Littman Classic II SE is the "standard" one that most med students (and plenty of doctors) have. It comes in all sorts of colours and some sites will engrave it with her name for free.

ReputationRep:
    thank-you. She is going to Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by athole)
    thank-you. She is going to Glasgow.
    I don't know much about their course unfortunately, but I know a girl who does...

(Original post by lekky)
    x
    Can you help here?

ReputationRep:
    Hi athole!

You don't strictly need a stethoscope in first year though it is nice to have. One thing I will say is that on your first day there is a BMA stall, and if you sign up you get a £10 discount on a stethoscope - can't remember which one it is but it's more than good enough for your first 5 years and 2 foundation years, think it is the littman - including getting your name engraved. I don't know how much the discount is important for you but you could always hang on until then

Edit: I just checked and yes it's the Littman Classic II SE that pretty much the entire year has! So buying it for her as a present would be a nice idea if the discount is not important

Oh, just a thought, DO NOT get Dr -your daughter's name- engraved on it! Some guys parent's here got that done for him and not only has he had the rip taken out of him by pretty much the whole year but also by a consultant during a clin session.. bad move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)

Oh, just a thought, DO NOT get Dr -your daughter's name- engraved on it! Some guys parent's here got that done for him and not only has he had the rip taken out of him by pretty much the whole year but also by a consultant during a clin session.. bad move.
    Haha, poor guy!

ReputationRep:
    the gold standard are Littmann 3M Cardiology III (master cardiology is more sensitive but quite specialized and a bit difficult to use for some people) and Welch Allyn Harvey Elite. Some people might raise eyebrows that these are too good for students but this is what doctors who aren't being more frugal (and getting the SE II) tend to buy. they're cheapest to purchase online.

SE II is probably a better idea for a student especially since people may borrow it etc.

ReputationRep:
    Don't just a really nice one - will go walkies. The Littmann SE II is pretty standard and will hear everything above a very quite murmer (I heard a grade I one a consultant's stethoscope which mine had missed (Even if I had a cardiology I still would have missed it) - but as a student you'd be forgiven for that.

ReputationRep:
    the difference between them is only about 50pounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailWhale)
    the difference between them is only about 50pounds
    ]

You're a Littmann rep!

the point is its unnecessary, also, it will getstolen, and you will get ridiculed for it.

ReputationRep:
    I've never felt any clinical need for a fancy steth and I don't have any inclination to stand out by carrying a piece of kit that's 'above my station' in the same way that I don't wear a suit or orange jumpsuit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I've never felt any clinical need for a fancy steth and I don't have any inclination to stand out by carrying a piece of kit that's 'above my station' in the same way that I don't wear a suit or orange jumpsuit.
    O rly? :ninja:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    O rly? :ninja:
    Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    ]

You're a Littmann rep!

the point is its unnecessary, also, it will getstolen, and you will get ridiculed for it.
    get it engraved and have a story? i bought a barely used cardiology III for 60pounds.

(Original post by Renal)
    My clinical need for buying a £150 stethoscope was that I'm deaf as **** and was missing alot of murmurs with my hand me down classic II.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    My clinical need for buying a £150 stethoscope was that I'm deaf as **** and was missing alot of murmurs with my hand me down classic II.
    Fair play mate.

ReputationRep:
    bought another cardiology III new in box (never used by owner) for 60pounds. anybody know if its bad to engrave these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    I have hearing loss too, can you get ones that amplify sound? I heard this once. Though I might be getting some kind of hearing implant thing in the near future (which also goes in my ear, not sure how that would work with a stethoscope as well).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by lekky)
    I have hearing loss too, can you get ones that amplify sound? I heard this once. Though I might be getting some kind of hearing implant thing in the near future (which also goes in my ear, not sure how that would work with a stethoscope as well).
    Somebody on my course has an electronic one where you can increase/decrease the sound. It's a Littmann, I can't remember the exact model

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Same. Years of clubbing have not been good for that

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 4, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.