Turn on thread page Beta

This needs to stay anon or delete plz.

I am being bullied at work by some people quite a bit younger than me because they think/know I am gay. I am quiet and keep myself to myself, which ultimately is a bad thing when you're gay because people put 2 and 2 together and realise that it's because you're not confident of who you are.

And this is true. I am not confident about being gay. I am in my mid20s and I am still not out to anyone but myself. To be honest, I classify myself as asexual anyway so I don't see the point in broadcasting that I'm gay. It's not going to do me any favours is it.

But I just find it difficult to accept that people 5-6 years younger than me clearly disrespect me so much that they effectively bully me homophobically to my face, and I cannot do anything about it. It's making me either want to leave my workplace, or something altogether worse and tragic.

Is it even possible to stick up for yourself if you're in the closet?

file a sexual harassment complaint

ReputationRep:
    If they are making homophobic comments or bullying you in that way then it is illegal, and you have the right to go to the police about it. Although I would say go to your boss first off, to make a formal complaint. If it still continues I'd take it further.

Confident or not, gay or not, nobody has the right to be bullied because of any physical/mental/sexual characteristic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick__s)
    file a sexual harassment complaint
    What...?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.