Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm having major financial problems.

I moved into a flat in Sheffield with my partner in september 2010. He is a student at university, I will be beginning my degree at the same university in september 2011.

I thought it would be fairly easy to get an entry-level job; I didn't bet on having 2 illnesses which both put me in hospital in the first 2 months I was in Sheffield. After getting out of hospital, I managed to get a job, which was meant to lead to permanent employment... but I was let go in january this year. My partner only has his student loan - no other income.

I've used my savings to pay my half of the rent so far, but I've now more or less run out. I just had a bill from the council which says I need to pay £102 a month council tax due to arrears from last year. I have £230 a month rent to pay. I have about £80 a month food that I need to buy. I have £20 a month utility bills, and £10 per month for internet (which I need for job searches, and my boyfriend needs for uni work). I have zero income, apart from the £230 a month housing benefit which is ALL I am entitled to. I also have to pay for £14 a month prescriptions which I NEED for the health problems.

This works out at a deficit of £376 - £230 (housing benefit) = -£146 a month!

Due to my partner being a student, I'm not entitled to any benefits except the small amount of housing benefit.

I am going to end up having all my possessions sold when the bailiffs come here about the council tax bill... I will probably have to declare myself bankrupt... I'm only 18, I don't know what to do.

Please help?

Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    Get your partner to go to Student Services and apply for a Hardship Grant. That's all I can suggest right now.

ReputationRep:
    Shockingly, this works out as almost £1,000 deficit by the time I would be beginning university at the end of september. That's assuming there are no unexpected bills, I never go home, don't buy any new clothes and don't go out AT ALL.

:eek:

My possessions wouldn't be worth enough to pay that off! According to the council tax website, in that case I would be jailed for 90 days! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avéry)
    Get your partner to go to Student Services and apply for a Hardship Grant. That's all I can suggest right now.
    This is probably worth a try, good idea. Do you think the university would want to help, when I'm the one causing a problem and I'm not a student yet?

ReputationRep:
    Do the council know about the problems you've been having? if you've had health problems, you should be able to negotiate a lower amount with the council over the arrears. I'd also talk to your local CAB for advice, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatHatGirl)
    This is probably worth a try, good idea. Do you think the university would want to help, when I'm the one causing a problem and I'm not a student yet?
    I assume you and your partner are living together so household costs are his responsibility too which means they will look at it. They might not help with prescriptions though.

I can't be 100% certain though.

ReputationRep:
    Citizens advice bureau - sounds like they'd be able to help you to negotiate a much lower repayment of council tax arrears.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why are you not entitled to any benefits? His student loan isn't designed for both of you to live on, only him. You can claim seperate benefits to support yourself. Have you applied for single persons discount on your council tax? Your OH doesn't count as a CT payer because they're a student so you only need to pay single persons rate. Are you not entitled to council tax benefit as you have no income? I really would head down to the CAB. They will be able to do a needs assessment and make sure you're getting all the benefits that you're entitled to.

ReputationRep:
    Are you on council tax benefit, or just housing benefit? If not, then you need to apply for it.

Speak to CCCS and post on the MSE forum.

ReputationRep:
    direct.gov.uk says:

If you [the full-time student i.e. your bf] have a partner who is not a student and they’re eligible for any income-related benefits, your partner can claim on behalf of you both.

I've had to edit this post because I really don't know what this means in practice - I'm so angry that the partner/household income rules are NOT widely publicised - we know about them, sure, but unless I'm really crap at searching there seems to be NO specific information available on eligibility/non-eligibility when living with a partner.

I have my fingers crossed but my heart is sinking to the floor as I think you might not get a penny. I'm so, so unhappy about this - it's 100% illogical.

ReputationRep:
    Darnall Welfare Rights Service

Old School Annexe Station Rd
    Sheffield
    S9 4JT
    0114 244 9710

ReputationRep:
    oh oh oh, there's someone here who's claimed JSA when his wife was a student: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...php?p=19632989 (poster name 'abfmdf') - REALLY good news I hope - good luck, I'm so worried for & rooting for you.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you will get benefits for your boyfriend as your not married but maybe move home till septemer? Im assuming your not married because your only 18 and i dont see why you moved up there if you didnt have your own loan to fall back on yet, also you were very lucky to find a job once you got up there, that was a very bad plan, to just move somewhere and expect to find a job, it may not happen again.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You may be eligible for free prescriptions as you're on a low income. Look here. Alternatively, a pre-payment certificate will save you money.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.