Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that medicine will be less competitive for 2012 entry, than for 2011 entry.

I know that there was a huge increase in the number of applicants this year, and many of them were trying to get in this year to avoid paying 9,000 per year.

So, is it likely there will be less applicants this year.

Especially, for graduate entry. I am a current graduate and I know that many people including myself would be unable to afford 9000 pounds per year for medicine as a second degree.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm unable to answer your question because all I know is that apparently GEM is even more competitive than undergraduate entry, but I'm just curious about something...

won't SAAS help you out with some of the fees?

ReputationRep:
    who the hell gave me negative rep? I was only asking a question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottishShortiex)
    Sorry, I'm unable to answer your question because all I know is that apparently GEM is even more competitive than undergraduate entry, but I'm just curious about something...

won't SAAS help you out with some of the fees?
    No, saas do not pay tuition fees for graduates. Only a maintainence loan.

ReputationRep:
    hi i think the 2012 med entry will defo see a decrease in number of applicants as people will not want to pay £45,000 for the whole of 4 years! also i think there will be less graduates applying for both the 5 and 4 year course as they wont be able to afford a second degree. realistically there will be less people applying for any degree. most unis have already confirmed their tuition fees for next year which are £6-9000 a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisa101)
    hi i think the 2012 med entry will defo see a decrease in number of applicants as people will not want to pay £45,000 for the whole of 4 years! also i think there will be less graduates applying for both the 5 and 4 year course as they wont be able to afford a second degree. realistically there will be less people applying for any degree. most unis have already confirmed their tuition fees for next year which are £6-9000 a year
    Thank you. This is what I meant from my thread. I thought that because if the fees increase, it will put a lot of people off doing a second degree, as it is a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    Does anyone think that medicine will be less competitive for 2012 entry, than for 2011 entry.

I know that there was a huge increase in the number of applicants this year, and many of them were trying to get in this year to avoid paying 9,000 per year.

So, is it likely there will be less applicants this year.

Especially, for graduate entry. I am a current graduate and I know that many people including myself would be unable to afford 9000 pounds per year for medicine as a second degree.
    I think there will be a decrease in the number of people applying for graduate entry. But it won't change most applicants as they will just get a loan, doctors are pretty well paid, so they will easily be able to pay it off, I think it will stay pretty much the same. It will probably be the same for all competitive courses such as dentistry.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.