Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you clean your ears? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ever since I was little I used to clean my ears with cotton buds. The other day I was watching Embarrassing Bodies on Channel 4 and the doctor said it's not a good idea to EVER clean your ears! Especially not with cotton buds because it can push the dirt deeper into your ear and you risk damaging it.

I really don't want to be walking around with gunk in my ears, so are there any other ways to safely clean your ears? I heard there are water drop things that dissolves the dirt? Are these any good?

I go to the hospital every 3 months to have them cleaned, it's the best way

Edit: Negged? I have a medical condition that requires it!

ReputationRep:
    Rinse them with water at least five times a day.

ReputationRep:
    Q-tips, should is stop :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i watched that episode as well. and if you had paid close attention, youd have also heard them say that ears are self cleaning. ear wax protects the ear from collecting other dirt, and the dirty wax passes on. thats why our ears arent dripping with dirt. the only think you should worry about is keeping your pinna (outer ear shell) clean, and any excess wax around the ear hole opening.

ReputationRep:
    wash them

ReputationRep:
    DON'T use cotton buds, you can push wax further into your ear and cause painful blockages then you have to go to hospital to get them flushed. theres wax cleaners you buy in liquid form from chemists etc that break it down for you without any problems

ReputationRep:
    I rinse my ears when I'm rinsing my hair. I clean the ridge of my ear with a moist cotton bud though, it can't really get stuck anywhere.

My cotton buds usually help with eye make-up

ReputationRep:
    I just use a flannel, like the rest of my body.. I don't dig around in my ears, but that's because whatever's in there doesn't seem to be causing me or 90% of the population any problems

ReputationRep:
    1. Be in the shower.
    2. Tilt head; first to the left & then to the right.
    3. Use a corner of the towel to get any crap/wax out.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong end of a safety pin.

ReputationRep:
    I use cotton buds. Dont care what anyone says, they've worked for me all my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sanctified)
    Rinse them with water at least five times a day.
    OHHhh....i get it...In islam you have to pray 5 times a day..YHHH!GOT IT!

ReputationRep:
    I get mine syringed by the nurse usually once a year or so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    I use cotton buds. Dont care what anyone says, they've worked for me all my life.
    Same!! My mum used them on me when I was a baby, I have always used them, probably always will!! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I go to the hospital every 3 months to have them cleaned, it's the best way
    are you gay or something? why the hell would you go to the hospital to get your ears cleaned?

buy yourself some earbuds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    What do people say? I've used them for years now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    What do people say? I've used them for years now...
    Apparently they push wax in further but I don't believe that

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.