Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Now having left Uni in 2009 after getting a 2:1 in Journalism and hence now unable to find work in that career (although did do some PR work a while back), am back to square one and now looking for a graduate or A job.

I've remained very centered on finding jobs related to my degree but that's not going too great atm and now heading towards my last resort option of working in a call centre. For some reason, now after not looking into them, am considering applying for any graduate schemes that maybe available.

My question is whether does an application be affected if you've done a degree that maybe unrelated to the graduate scheme on offer?

And does anyone know of any schemes that are advertised atm?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    www.milkround.com
    www.prospects.ac.uk

don't know how many you'll find still accepting applications now, lots or most of them tend to close around October/November
    some companies do have ongoing recruitment though

the answer to your question is that it depends on the scheme
    some will ask for a relevant degree, many will accept any degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Now having left Uni in 2009 after getting a 2:1 in Journalism and hence now unable to find work in that career
    Surely that doesn't exclude you does it?

Just show them your portfollio, or why don't you work freelance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Now having left Uni in 2009 after getting a 2:1 in Journalism and hence now unable to find work in that career (although did do some PR work a while back), am back to square one and now looking for a graduate or A job.

I've remained very centered on finding jobs related to my degree but that's not going too great atm and now heading towards my last resort option of working in a call centre. For some reason, now after not looking into them, am considering applying for any graduate schemes that maybe available.

My question is whether does an application be affected if you've done a degree that maybe unrelated to the graduate scheme on offer?

And does anyone know of any schemes that are advertised atm?

Cheers

Highly depends really. Some will require a degree/working towards a degree in that particular field. Others won't.

And there is nothing wrong working in a call centre to earn your own money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n65uk)
    And there is nothing wrong working in a call centre to earn your own money.
    There is if you have a degree. Either you chose a bad course/did badly because you're an idiot, have a vocation for call centre work or haven't tried in the job market.

Earning 20% less than the average graduate wage with little chance of progression really isn't something to settle for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    There is if you have a degree. Either you chose a bad course/did badly because you're an idiot, have a vocation for call centre work or haven't tried in the job market.

Earning 20% less than the average graduate wage with little chance of progression really isn't something to settle for.
    If it was a choice of doing call centre work or JSA, I'd be picking call centre work to actually do something.

Being on JSA for 6 months would be less employable in the further than doing call centre work, would it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n65uk)
    If it was a choice of doing call centre work or JSA, I'd be picking call centre work to actually do something.

Being on JSA for 6 months would be less employable in the further than doing call centre work, would it not?
    Depends on the job. For grad schemes no, they tend to be employment blind, they assess on competencies but don't tend to take into account current employment status.

Actually getting to interviews if you're a call centre worker is much lower, you're less likely to be making applications and less likely to be available for interview.

Over 6 months and I'd agree with you though (as some money is better than none if you can't get a decent job within 6 months)

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.