Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hello guys,

    Not sure this is the right forum but here goes....

    I completed an hons degree last year and have now decided I want to do a postgrad in primary school teaching. For whatever reasons, in school I did not sit any GCSE's, so obviously I need to rectify that if I want to be eligible for a postgrad. I've searched quite a bit online and am struggling to find any colleges or, schools at night, which do these courses. Does anyone know of any colleges in Scotland (preferably Glasgow) that let you do GCSE's as an adult?



    Education in Scotland is devolved to the Scottish Parliament and thus Scotland's education system is different to England and Wales. Students at school in Scotland sit Standard Grades, not GCSEs, so if you are set on staying in Glasgow I would try to take Standard Grade English and maths. They are a nationally recognised GCSE-equivalent qualification and can therefore be used instead of GCSEs (after all Scottish people become teachers too!).
    • Thread Starter

    Postgrad entries state GCSE's, although I do mean standard grades in my case.

    Well according to the GTTR website (who handle almost all PGCE and PGDE applications) the requirements are:

    Academic requirements for entry to courses in England and Wales

    Primary, middle years and secondary teaching courses

    Before you can start a PGCE course in primary, middle years or secondary teaching in England or Wales you must have:

    1. a degree awarded by a UK university or college or a recognised equivalent qualification

    and be able to show that you have

    2. the knowledge of English required to obtain a GCSE at grade C.

    3. the knowledge of mathematics required to obtain a GCSE at grade C.

    Note: It doesn't say you must HAVE a GCSE in English and Maths, but must be able to demonstrate the knowledge required to obtain it - i.e. Standard grade or Highers.

    If you want to take a PGCE course in primary or middle years teaching, you must also be able to show that you have:

    the knowledge of a science subject required to obtain a GCSE at grade C.

    If you want to do a PGDE in Scotland, you need:

    Primary teaching courses

    Before you can start a postgraduate Initial Teacher Education (ITE) course in primary teaching in Scotland, you must have:

    1. a degree from a UK university or college. Degree equivalent qualifications are not acceptable

    2. a National Qualifications Course award in English at level 6 or above in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) or an equivalent qualification

    3. a National Qualifications Course award in mathematics at level 5 or above in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) or an equivalent qualification.

    Note: you'd therefore need Higher English as this is equivalent to SCQF level 6

    The training providers will also want to ensure that your education provides the necessary foundation for working as a primary teacher. In addition to English and mathematics, they will also normally look for evidence that you have studied at least two of science, social studies, expressive arts, religious and moral education, technology or modern languages.

    This place might be able to help: Glasgow Metropolitan College
    • Thread Starter


    That is a general overview. Once you search GTTR and find specific universities they give you their entry requirements. I have viewed the 5 or so I would apply to and their entry requirements are similar - Maths/English and, some also Science, GCSE's or equivalent.

    And i'll give the MET a phone tomorrow, thanks.
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.