Turn on thread page Beta

Coldsores: A question about Herpes watch

I woke up the other day with a slight cracking at the corner of my mouth now its 'bloomed' into, what my mum says is, a coldsore.

First of all, I've never had a coldsore in my life - I am 20 - so I am quite shocked... I don't know how I contracted it (I would never snog anyone that appears to have a massive oozing crater on their face). I've read that you can contract it as child - just receiving kisses from infected parents/relatives (the basterds)... But I don't know why I've only developed one now...

But my question is this: if someone with a coldsore goes down on you, can you get genital herpes? Also if someone who has the virus, but no visible coldsores, goes down on you can you still get genital herpes?

If I have an active coldsore do I have to stay away from sex at all (or just kissing/oral... but still able to 'bury the bone'). Is the possibility of getting genital herpes going to be a constant for the rest of my life now (even more than having unprotected sex with a randomer)?

I've been reading about the whole thing and it looks insidious and quite worrying... curse the evil turds who gave me this

bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I woke up the other day with a slight cracking at the corner of my mouth now its 'bloomed' into, what my mum says is, a coldsore.

First of all, I've never had a coldsore in my life - I am 20 - so I am quite shocked... I don't know how I contracted it (I would never snog anyone that appears to have a massive oozing crater on their face). I've read that you can contract it as child - just receiving kisses from infected parents/relatives (the basterds)... But I don't know why I've only developed one now...

But my question is this: if someone with a coldsore goes down on you, can you get genital herpes? Also if someone who has the virus, but no visible coldsores, goes down on you can you still get genital herpes?

If I have an active coldsore do I have to stay away from sex at all (or just kissing/oral... but still able to 'bury the bone'). Is the possibility of getting genital herpes going to be a constant for the rest of my life now (even more than having unprotected sex with a randomer)?

I've been reading about the whole thing and it looks insidious and quite worrying... curse the evil turds who gave me this
    Somewhere between 65% and 90% of people in the world have herpes simplex (cold sores). So you've probably had it since childhood, and it has been triggered by stress, low immune systems (recent colds or coughs) or hormonal fluctuation (periods and puberty).

Cold sores are actually not that catching when they're a big old cold sore - they're transmitted when they're invisible, in the few days before it blooms. Therefore anyone with lovely, healthy lips can kiss you and give you one.

There are two types of Herpes Virus. Type 1 is the cold sore on your face, Type 2 is the nasty genital STD. They're two different viruses. If you go down on someone and give them your cold sore, they'll have a cold sore on their genitals, but it still won't be the Type 2 STD "genital herpes" herpes..

The thing you should really worry about is touching your cold sore and rubbing your eyes!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.