Turn on thread page Beta

Does re-taking your A-Levels harm your chances of getting into an Investment Bank watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am considering doing 3 x extra A-Levels in Business Studies, Economics and Maths.

It is my career aim to get into a BB Investment Bank. My order of preference for roles starts with Corporate Finance, then Trading assistance (e.g. MO/BO support role) and ends as PA.

I have a 2:1 in Biomedicine from a redbrick uni and graduated last year. I have 5 months of postgraduate work experience in pharmaceutical advertising. My current A-Levels are ABB in English Literature, Biology and French.

I am aware that doing extra and relevant A-Levels will not bolster my CV. I want to take them to do something useful whilst I'm seeking financial work experience and also to boost my own knowledge, as currently I'm learning finance on my own.

My question is if the IBs finf out that I have studied extra A-Levels AFTER my BSc degree, will this harm my chances of getting recruited?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    First and foremost, they won't give a crap about business studies a-level. Coming from someone who took it; it's a bit of a joke.

If you have the economic means, doing a finance related MSc will have a lot bigger impact than 'fixing' your a-levels.

On another note, you probably don't need to do anything extra academically to secure a BO role, just do well in the application process. Another route is going into big 4 CF, then making the switch to IB a few years down the line.

Why is your career aim to get into IB?

ReputationRep:
    For fuk sake man...stop posting over an over again about the same thing...u are not gonna get in with business studies...definitely not with business studies re sit.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know from re-taking A-levels or any other exams, but do you honestly think that would be the best way to use your time, given your previous academic preperation?

ReputationRep:
    Most people would think it was a weird thing to do, it demonstrates a strange mindset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    I don't know from re-taking A-levels or any other exams, but do you honestly think that would be the best way to use your time, given your previous academic preperation?
    preparation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexiel)
    preparation?
    Your degree in biomedicine

ReputationRep:
    Do you love Lloyd Blankfein?

ReputationRep:
    Your degree in biomedicine
    what about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexiel)
    what about it?
    What I'm saying is nobody will care about your extra a-levels, what does doing extra a-levels prove?

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Economics &

Physics/History instead of Business Studies.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.