Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people who go to war automatically declared heroes? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manc990)
    Policemen do not put there life on the line for their country, people are getting to caught up with the politics of why we are fighting in certain places, but the soilders have no say in the matter.
    Disagree there, because people know that if they sign up to be in the military, they may end up fighting an illegal war or be involved in something which may not be 'right', or they may participate in a war they don't even believe in themselves.

If you can't do that, you don't sign.

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree.

Putting on a uniform does not make you a hero, the soldiers agreed to do the job.

Obviously soldiers can act heroically, but so can anyone should the situation arise. I'm not questioning their bravery, fair play to them but at the end of the day they are doing a job that they signed up for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonotrly)
    Disagree there, because people know that if they sign up to be in the military, they may end up fighting an illegal war or be involved in something which may not be 'right', or they may participate in a war they don't even believe in themselves.

If you can't do that, you don't sign.
    Maybe (stupidly) they believe in their goverment to do the right thing

ReputationRep:
    Because they risked their lives. You might now know it, but it's very frightening. Ask any soldier.

Some people also call people heroes without knowing what they've done...

I'm 50/50 on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winning)
    Because he/she is willing to put his/her life on the line, to endure great physical and psychological pressure 24/7 and to leave his/her family for months at a time, and all this not for personal gain but for the safety and freedom of those who stay behind. This courage and selflessness is what makes our soldiers heroes.
    This has nothing to do with wether you agree with the political reasons for the armed conflict in question, you can be for example a strong opponent of the iraqe war and still commend the troops for their brave sacrifice.

And no, our soldiers are certainly not 'pawns'. The fact that you say that and the tone of your post can only lead to one assumption: You've never worn a uniform and never put your life or you personal interests on the line for the wellbeing of others. It seems like you're just one of many who sit in the safety and warmth of their homes and thinks he is morally superior to those who actually do something at great personal risk to ensure this warmth and safety you're enjoying without lifting a finger.
    I pity you.
    But surely then you have to assume that a soldier is purely there to help his country and save his people rather than being there for his own financial needs, and how can you be so sure of this? Also how do you know that these soldiers are necessarily protecting their people? the vietnam war was certainly nothing to do with the protection of american people? How do you know what they do is towards your so called wellbeing of others?
    If you are naming the heroes because they are involved in strenuous jobs then surely you should also call an a&e doctor a hero too? Or an athlete? Your argument is very flawed so please don't feel the need to pity anyone

ReputationRep:
    so they won't be called murderers.

ReputationRep:
    You know what else annoys me? This whole mentality of 'Support our boys! Support the lads! They are all doing such an amazing job etc etc'.

It seems like if you disagree with the army, somehow YOU become the bad guy instead of the people out there murdering others.

Why do we say that soldiers are 'willing to die for our country'? Why don't we say they are 'willing to kill for our country'? Because the latter doesn't sound as nice does it.

The government have brainwashed the british public. Not just our government, nearly every government in the world has done the same. We have toy shops selling British army Toys!!! WTF is that? Trying to recruit more young men and send them to their deaths I see, your majesty

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Ok then there is a chance fire fighters may die but does that mean when there lives end then we should just say they knew what may happen so diddums
    A fireman who goes into a burning building to save a person's life is a hero. A fireman who goes into a burning building to save the owner's no claims bonus is an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    But we haven't invaded Latvia, we don't call soldiers who rape heroes and if you jump into a lion enclosure then your an ass. No doubt you are a self-titled intellectual, but in reality a left wing liberal hippie pacifist pretencious ponce.
    War is an extension of diplomacy, and our Government engages in diplomacy as a means of carrying out their jobs: Doing what is in the best interests of the country. Soldiers, by fighting wars, are risking their lives for the good of the country and thus are heroes.
    You seem to have equated that all people in general who take orders aren't heroes, but that is a load of crap and you know it.
    Unless appearing inane is simply part of some kind of grand plan, you'd do well to start using words which you can both spell and define.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Theyre not all heroes, its just the poular tabloid press that likes to label them as that. I was in the army for quite a while, I went to Iraq in 2003 but I really don't see myself as a hero. I definately don't see the troops who were involved in the prisoner abuse then as heroes, theyre just c**ts. I do however see the marine who threw himself on top of a grenade to stop others being killed as one, just like the female medic who got an MC last week for crawling under heavy fire and treating wounded, thats heroic.
    a marine threw himseld on top of a grenade? wow, that is truly heroic.

ReputationRep:
    This thread should be asking why when hated people die do they automaticly become everyones hero? (Jade Goody)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Only in the last 30 years or so.
    Point being? I respect anyone who fought in WWII, but people who join the army now know they won't be killing for the benifit of humanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    They are heroes until proven **********s. Only a small number of soldiers are *******s and the majority are good people who want to protect their family and others in suffering the only way they know how.
    protect their family??? from whom. Assuming we are talking about the main militarys here. Who is the average soldier in the British army protecting their family from? I can guarantee you, that not one soldier who joined up in the past decade, let alone last 50years actually thought...'I want to protect my family' and joined the army.

ReputationRep:
    This thread should be asking why when hated people die do they automaticly become everyones hero? (Jade Goody)
    I remember someone told me and I quote....'everyones a ******* until they die'.

He talked alot of ****e...but thats some true speak

ReputationRep:
    That's for the same reason that soldiers are heroes (and that Anna Nicole Smith was lovely really): the news told us. The same news that earlier said the war(s) and these 'celebrities' were bad.

So I made sure my topic was asking for individual reasons that the people-who-think-soldiers-are-automatic-heroes actually have thought through, hoping to avoid "because they're risking their lives for our freedom" and "you even asking this question means you've never been in the army, and thus are not as amazing as them, and you're a liberal".

Alas, this was not achieved...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mina-z)
    But surely then you have to assume that a soldier is purely there to help his country and save his people rather than being there for his own financial needs, and how can you be so sure of this? Also how do you know that these soldiers are necessarily protecting their people? the vietnam war was certainly nothing to do with the protection of american people? How do you know what they do is towards your so called wellbeing of others?
    If you are naming the heroes because they are involved in strenuous jobs then surely you should also call an a&e doctor a hero too? Or an athlete? Your argument is very flawed so please don't feel the need to pity anyone
    I don't know about the UK but in Germany only highly qualified Individuals can join the armed forces. Pretty much every Bundeswehr-Soldier could have chosen a better paid and much less dangerous and stressing civilian career. They didn't. They stepped up to ,loyally serve the federal republic of Germany and to bravely defend the freedom and liberty of the german people'. The took upon them great personal sacrifice to serve a higher cause. I'm sure it's the same with british soldiers.

If you want to call my arguement flawed that's up to you, but do yourself a favor and stick to what I actually wrote. They aren't heroes because their job is strenous but because they take his great risk and this physical and psychological stress to protect others. An athelte doesn't protect anyone and I don't think you can conpare extensive physical training with getting shot at everyday for months at a time while you're in some distant country fighting a war while your family is at home and you can't watch your little daughter grow up. Think about that for a moment.

I pity the OP and people like him because they are so narrow-minded and self-consumed that they only care about their personal gain and don't think that there could be something bigger than themselves, something worth fighting and dying for. They are the same breed of people who would simply walk by if they'd see a woman get raped. These people couldn't even survive without better people then them, people who they despise, would fight for their safety and freedom.
    This is a really sad way to live and a complete waste. This is why I pity them.

A coward dies a million deaths while a brave man dies just once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    haha, lets just say the version of that I've heard is somewhat funnier and ruder

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their bottoms."

courtesy of ARRSE

ReputationRep:
    I don't. However, I can understand why some are.

I'd be inclined to find the reasons for war rather than the accepting the dubious ever-changing reasons the govt has gave for the invasion of Iraq and given for Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    protect their family??? from whom. Assuming we are talking about the main militarys here. Who is the average soldier in the British army protecting their family from? I can guarantee you, that not one soldier who joined up in the past decade, let alone last 50years actually thought...'I want to protect my family' and joined the army.
    many join up for the family, for the lifestyle, to give something back, for their sense of duty, for many many reasons, each private and personal.....

those who join up "to go to war".....very rarely get past the first stage interview......

so don't judge those who you do not know and should have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonotrly)
    That's for the same reason that soldiers are heroes (and that Anna Nicole Smith was lovely really): the news told us. The same news that earlier said the war(s) and these 'celebrities' were bad.

So I made sure my topic was asking for individual reasons that the people-who-think-soldiers-are-automatic-heroes actually have thought through, hoping to avoid "because they're risking their lives for our freedom" and "you even asking this question means you've never been in the army, and thus are not as amazing as them, and you're a liberal".

Alas, this was not achieved...
    Maybe not all heros, but do things most people are scared to do. Also do not deserve to die just because they knew of the risk like most people on this thread seem to think

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.