Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people who go to war automatically declared heroes? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonotrly)
    I didn't generalise because I didn't say that I was describing everyone in the army, that would just be retarded.

Starting to piss me off that people keep saying that, because all it is is the reader's brain processing it in a way that they think the word 'if' is a figment of our imaginations and 'everyone in the army' is in there somehow (perhaps only bats can read it) due to their own views or subconcious bias, not mine or simply in fact what I actually wrote.
    If you're going to post a thread like this and aim to not get pissed off, then you're a bit deluded.

And actually it was generalising. Anyone can be wife beaters and bullies, regardless if they're in the army or not. But you applied it only to people in the army.

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of an episode of Britains Got Talent a week or two ago. A few soldiers came on with drums and stuff and to be honest their performance wasn't very good (rather boring) and got two out of three no's, yet they were called back to be given three yes'es purely because the audience wouldn't shut up about how the judges gave soldiers no votes :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorame)
    If you're going to post a thread like this and aim to not get pissed off, then you're a bit deluded.

And actually it was generalising. Anyone can be wife beaters and bullies, regardless if they're in the army or not. But you applied it only to people in the army.
    But I didn't and there is no indication that I did. See previous post.

ReputationRep:
    But I didn't and there is no indication that I did. See previous post.
    *See's previous post*

"Starting to piss me off"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorame)
    *See's previous post*

"Starting to piss me off"

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    If British soldiers fight merely for Queen and Country, why do they accept money from their country for 'service'?

The facts do not correspond with the said reasons for deeds.

I do not consider British Soldiers heroes, for one obvious reason, I do not agree with many of the involvements they take part of as part of the military.

But more importantly, I do not agree somebody should be considered a hero, if fundamentally, they do it for material incentive. I would like to see how many people would volunteer to join the British military if the government suddenly stopped paying salaries to its ‘servicemen’.

A hero to me is somebody who puts themselves in an extremely dangerous position to do what I consider ‘good’, without any other reason but than to do ‘good’.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:
    Well, you're not making any sense. "But I didn't and there is no indication I did".

It could have been referring to either one of your previous statements.

Make yourself clear.

ReputationRep:
    Because that's their only "achievement" in life.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.