Jaffa Cake: Cake or Biscuit Watch

• View Poll Results: What is the Jaffa Cake
    Cake
    76.86%
    Biscuit
    23.14%

ReputationRep:
    Cake.

A biscuit has to have some sort of crunch in my opinion. The legal definition of biscuit and cake is different though.

Pringles are the famous case. They are cakes not crisps, and they still charge a friggin pound on sale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rory :))
    I know I just wanted peoples opinion on it.
    I know, I just wanted people to know about the epic Jaffa Cake which was made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I know, I just wanted people to know about the epic Jaffa Cake which was made.
    I would have loved it,I did get a Jaffa cake tower for xmas

ReputationRep:
    We had this debate for our 'Christmas debate' at my school debating club last year.

Cake won.

*nerd 5*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Do it, then come back and tell us about them.

I can't have any, and wish to enjoy them vicariously through you.
    Why not?!

I feel for you and so I shall do this for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Cake.

A biscuit has to have some sort of crunch in my opinion. The legal definition of biscuit and cake is different though.

Pringles are the famous case. They are cakes not crisps, and they still charge a friggin pound on sale.
    Pringles are cakes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    Why not?!

I feel for you and so I shall do this for you.
    WOO!

And it's Lent; one of the few religious things I still take seriously these days.

ReputationRep:
    Cake. Little yummy cakes.

ReputationRep:
    Pringles are cakes?
    Not anymore. They lost the appeal case. And a good thing too, a company shouldn't be able to dodge tax simply because they reduce the quality of the product.

This entire debate is utterly ludicrous. Jaffa cakes (despite the deliberate misnomer), are stored on the biscuit aisle and eaten as biscuits. You wouldn't sit down and eat one for dessert like you would a cake. Foodstuffs should be defined teleologically. The whole "biscuits go soft, cakes go hard" nonsense is entirely arbitrary, and has so many counterexamples as to be meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    WOO!

And it's Lent; one of the few religious things I still take seriously these days.
    Ahh that's good, you can enjoy them on Easter Sunday then?

ReputationRep:
    Pringles are cakes?
    I stand corrected. Yes they were considered cakes up until May 2009 when the decision was reversed. It would have allowed them to dodge VAT.

ReputationRep:
    Cakuits

ReputationRep:
    Jaffa cakes are small in size like the biscuits, are packaged like the biscuits, are prized like the biscuits, come in multiples per package like the biscuits, and are kept with the other biscuits in the biscuits isle of every shop and supermarket. Therefore, in my opinion they are biscuits. Consider this saying: if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck , then it’s a duck.:hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that's good, you can enjoy them on Easter Sunday then?
    Enjoy might be a stretch; I also gave up alcohol & all junk/unhealthy food. There will definitely be Jaffa Cakes consumed, but the excellence of them may be lost in the sugar, fat & booze fuelled haze.

ReputationRep:
    No, they're still cakes... because biscuits are hard. It doesn't matter how they're consumed. What they're made of is more important and they're made of cake...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteM/)
    No, they're still cakes... because biscuits are hard. It doesn't matter how they're consumed. What they're made of is more important and they're made of cake...
    pink wafers? they're biscuits and they're not hard.

ReputationRep:
    Its a cakey biscuit.

For the avoidance of attracting VAT its classed as a Biscuit...

ReputationRep:
    One of life's most important questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    Isn't its name a clue?...
    So if I called it Jaffa ****s, does that mean....

Don't be stupid ¬¬

It's a biscuit, that's soft.

ReputationRep:
    Goddamn it, I NEED JAFFA CAKES RIGHT NOW.
    Time for the obligatory dash to the corner shop in a coat over my jammies (I'm having a slob day).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.