Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey
    any opinions/views on these accommodations, need to choose my top 2

ReputationRep:
    I went for Vic halls and Opal 1! best locations imo and not too bad looking. And when i say best locations i mean has the most bars/clubs in a walkable distance . Also both seem to have big desks which can be handy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyjango)
    I went for Vic halls and Opal 1! best locations imo and not too bad looking. And when i say best locations i mean has the most bars/clubs in a walkable distance . Also both seem to have big desks which can be handy!
    was the kitchen/ living room big in victoria hall?

ReputationRep:
    yeah it's awsome there, there's some pics here http://www.shu.ac.uk/accommodation/r...l-gallery.html ... in the pics the kitchen shown is from the refurbed flats, i heard only about half are... my friend is there and has a nice new refurbed one

ReputationRep:
    yeah it's awsome there, there's some pics here http://www.shu.ac.uk/accommodation/r...l-gallery.html ... in the pics the kitchen shown is from the refurbed flats, i heard only about half are... my friend is there and has a nice new refurbed one
    yh i heard a few people say the kitches are not as big as it shows you in the pictures on hallam website..

ReputationRep:
    Just checked my mates pics and tbh it looks the exact same as those on the site. Some may be slighty different though. I guess the photo does make it seem alittle bigger with the photography but comparing it and everything is in the same place and matches up. It does seem slightly smaller though. It's still a nice kitchen alot better than all my other friends'. Plus I heard you get sky sports in the living room!! (not asked my mate yet to confirm though)

ReputationRep:
    And what about Challenge Works?

ReputationRep:
    I only know about vic halls, opal 1 and i think it was the forge... they're the only places i've been or got friends at.

ReputationRep:
    I only know about vic halls, opal 1 and i think it was the forge... they're the only places i've been or got friends at.
    OK thank you

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the comments, i was thinking about either victoria halls or opal 1 and the trigon

ReputationRep:
    I had the same choice, this is why I went for vic halls and opal 1. Trigon is abit out of the way, I reckon you'd need to get a taxi on a night out to the main bars, you might not on the way back depending what club you're going. Trigon is nearer the train station not important for me. Not sure about to city campus but i think they're about the same distance maybe closer to trigon, walkable in the day. The SU, the hubs thing is nearer trigon as I think, it's near the city campus.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, ive visted both vic halls and the trigon and the trigon is closer to city campus, but im not sure how far the trigon is into town/clubs etc.. would vic halls/trigon be better for that then?

ReputationRep:
    Vic halls is much closer to west street/clubs etc but trigon isn't really that much further. Walking to the trigon from a night out in the city centre really doesn't take long!
    In no way is the trigon "out of the way" :P

ReputationRep:
    from what i've heard from my mates in halls this year, trigon is really really nice, charlotte court is really social (my mate lived there last year and was out every night and knew almost everyone in her block), viccy halls are okay and i don't know anyone that has lived at opal 1. What you've got to remember is there are horror stories for all halls, but at the end of the day so long as you turn up wanting to get to know everyone and being friendly and outgoing all halls are going to be social.

None of them are that far to walk to nights out, and the trigon is definately not out of the way.

Be aware though that everyone i know who applied for sheff hallam accomodation through their website didn't get their top 2, so got where they are put.

If you are 100% sure you want a specific hall, if it isn't run by sheffield hallam itself (i.e i know opal isn't run by SH, and i know UNITE own a lot of them i.e the forge) then you can often be guaranteed a place and get to pick your own room too if you go directly through the companies website. When I went with UNITE they got out all the blueprints of the building so I was able to pick which type of room I would want and exactly which flat/where I wanted to be... just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    Vic halls and opal are closer to clubs and bars (i think leadmill is closer to trigon though) but yeah most of the shops and stuff are on west street and division street and vic halls and opal are pretty much next to them the street down. So you can just pop out and easily walk to the shops, there's also a fancy dress shop around the corner haha.

I've not been trigon but i've heard there's not many shops you can just pop to, even food wise. (might be one or two but definately less) Which will definately be annoying. If you're like me you'll prob forget at least one thing

Im not sure about all the clubs. Some are closer to vic halls some closer to trigon i think. Corp is like a walk from vic halls i think, others not too far but prob need taxi (if your sharing be like a quid each). I'm not sure about trigon though, I suspect you'll need a taxi most nights out though, 'cause you'll usually start on west street and you might need to the club and one back too depending where you end up.

Only like a quid each if you fill taxi but it adds up! Tbh prob don't need the taxis most of the time but i don't like the cold and my friends are lazy

ReputationRep:
    Vic Halls and Opal 1 are very convenient to west street etc, but Trigon/leadmill really aren't far away as people seem to think...!
    It takes 5 mins to get to the uni and like 7 mins to the moor(sainsburys/poundland etc) and to the centre of town.

You'll only need a taxi if it's raining or you can't walk no more! It's not far :cool:

Anyhow, the trigon is a great place to be if you're after a clean, tidy and safe halls. I'd avoid the leadmill unless you're happy with weed smokers/ useless staff.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for comments everyone, ill bare it in mind

ReputationRep:
    have you applied for your accommodation now? i applied for vic halls and trigon but I'm worried now cos they both look really popular argghhh!

ReputationRep:
    heyyy trigon im pretty sure is just around the corner from leadmill, so not a long walk to west street at all. i've applied to trigon and the forge, but i want to change the forge to victoria halls as its cheaper and from what ive seen abit nicer. :P but hey lets see who i can ring and cry to who might let me swap :P doesn't seem like they have any sympathy for people who are bad at decision making haha :P x

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'll be joining everyone in SHU in september! And like the rest I really don't have a clue which accommodation to choose!

I'm a really sociable person, love going out, spending time with friends etc, but i want a clean, safe, nice, halls too!

I liked The Forge, Trigon and Victoria Halls. I'm going to be in Collegiate campus, so I want somewhere not too far to walk!

Any suggestions? I'm getting mixed reviews about every hall!
    Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Sheffield Hallam University
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    Sun, 7 Oct '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.