Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got 5 options and need to pick which ones are true about blood pressure or blood vessels. Any help would be appreciatedthx.

Calcium channel blockers can be used to treat angina because they cause an increased blood flow through the capillary bed supplying the heart

Mean blood pressure falls fastest between arterioles and the capillaries

If your blood pressure is consistently over 140/90 mmHg (or over 140/80 mmHg if you have diabetes), you will be considered to have hypertension

Prolonged low systemic blood pressure can compromise sensitive organs such as the kidneys, heart and brain

The end diastolic volume is determined by arterial blood pressure and the force of ventricular contraction

Thx

ReputationRep:
    Calcium channel blockers can be used to treat angina, but as I understood it this was more due to their effect of reducing myocardial oxygen demand and hence the oxygen delivered would match the requirement, ending the angina. May have a minor effect on vessels though, since dihydropyridine blockers vasodilate in the periphery and are hence used as anti-hypertensives.

Mean blood pressure should fall fastest from artery to arteriole, I would have thought, since arterioles are the primary resistance vessels which regulate flow.

Sustained ABP of 140/90 or greater is often used as the threshold for hypertension. Don't know about for diabetics - had an idea 130/something was used, but may be wrong.

I'd assume that low ABP would lead to low perfusion pressure and hence reduced flow, so this should compromise metabolically active tissues. This is the basis of multiple organ failure in shock. I'd choose this.

EDV is dependant on MCFP (R) and pulmonary venous return (L), not ABP - the aortic and pulmonary valves are closed in diastole, so pressures do not equalise.

Hope that's of some use. Can anyone else elaborate or tidy it up? Can't come to a definitive answer as a few seem plausible.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.