Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Labour's plan won't result in a dull ache Barden. It will be like dealing with permanent tooth ache (Labour) and having it removed (Coalition).
    Better hope the scalpel doesn't slip then (double-dip recession allusion), because then we'll be in the territory of nerve-damage :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Better hope the scalpel doesn't slip then (double-dip recession allusion), because then we'll be in the territory of nerve-damage :cool:
    You have great analogy's mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Ask him if he is in favour of AV?
    If he agrees with the 'Darling deficit plan' (half the deficit over 4 years)?
    This.
    A bit O/T but did anyone watch question time tonight?
    There was a trade unionist with absolutely no economic knowledge whatsoever it was awful. No cuts are necessary LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    This.
    A bit O/T but did anyone watch question time tonight?
    There was a trade unionist with absolutely no economic knowledge whatsoever it was awful. No cuts are necessary LOL
    Yes i did actually, im not saying there should be no cuts, but saying we dont need cuts? Really dumb thing to say.

ReputationRep:
    Both plans contain risk - Labour's plans just contain more risk and more pain.

(Original post by kevR94)
    Yes but if nobody were to work and spent their time in the jobcentre, they would soon get pretty pissed off with not working, they would need somebody to blame and the government will be it. They would simply vote for another party. Therefore, the government needs to provide jobs for its people or they simply wont be voted in. Cutting all of these public sector jobs will take away a lot work and in 4 years time now, people wont be working and will be voting for a party which isnt going to take away thier jobs which they rely on.

The government need to make sure they are creating jobs so people can work.
    Oh so government should provide jobs as a means of bribing voters?

Surely the job of the government is to exact the will of the majority of the population?
    Said who?

ReputationRep:
    Both plans contain risk - Labour's plans just contain more risk and more pain.

Oh so government should provide jobs as a means of bribing voters?

Said who?
    Its obvious, if your in government, its part of your job to provide jobs for your public.

ReputationRep:
    Its obvious, if your in government, its part of your job to provide jobs for your public.
    No it ain't.

One can argue that it is the job of government to ensure that an environment exists whereby job creation is at it's peak, however, to blindly say that government should provide jobs is a disgrace.

So government should just create jobs out of thin air to give to people? No economic basis at all and complete nonsense.

Are you Ed Balls in disguise?

ReputationRep:

Said who?
    That's the whole point of government: placing responsibility and executive power in the hands of the few on behalf of the many.

ReputationRep:
    No it ain't.

One can argue that it is the job of government to ensure that an environment exists whereby job creation is at it's peak, however, to blindly say that government should provide jobs is a disgrace.

So government should just create jobs out of thin air to give to people? No economic basis at all and complete nonsense.

Are you Ed Balls in disguise?
    The government wouldnt need to create jobs out of thin air if they didnt get rid of them all to begin with. There is never going to be a job for every one in society but it is sheer stupidity to suggest that the government are not responsible for providing jobs for the public.

And yes i am actually Ed Balls i.e. the most annoying man in politics. (although i dont agree with this, obviously)

ReputationRep:
    Yes i did actually, im not saying there should be no cuts, but saying we dont need cuts? Really dumb thing to say.
    yeah it was ridiculous. Girl in the crowd made a really good point about the opposition actually coming up with an alternative that they keep going on about.

What he said about debt in the 20st century was such *******s.

ReputationRep:
    That's the whole point of government: placing responsibility and executive power in the hands of the few on behalf of the many.
    Exactly. So government makes it's own decisions based on what it believes is in the best interest of the people as a whole. That does NOT mean doing exactly what the people want.

The government wouldnt need to create jobs out of thin air if they didnt get rid of them all to begin with.
    To give everyone a job would require a mass creation of non-jobs in the state sector which you seem to be advocating.

There is never going to be a job for every one in society but it is sheer stupidity to suggest that the government are not responsible for providing jobs for the public.
    No need to be rude - just because we disagree doesn't mean you should make personal attacks.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it was ridiculous. Girl in the crowd made a really good point about the opposition actually coming up with an alternative that they keep going on about.

What he said about debt in the 20st century was such *******s.
    Yeah well im a member of the Labour party but i do think they need to have an alterative, even being a member and not knowing is a bit bad. its been 12 months nearly, you need to have something to come back on.

What do you think of what the girl said about EMA? Do we need it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well im a member of the Labour party but i do think they need to have an alterative, even being a member and not knowing is a bit bad. its been 12 months nearly, you need to have something to come back on.

What do you think of what the girl said about EMA? Do we need it?
    Yeah exactly. EMA is a tough one, most of the people I knew on it would have gone to college regardless etc, I think its much easier to provide more direct policies e.g. free travel, subsidies for libraries etc

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. So government makes it's own decisions based on what it believes is in the best interest of the people as a whole. That does NOT mean doing exactly what the people want.

To give everyone a job would require a mass creation of non-jobs in the state sector which you seem to be advocating.

No need to be rude - just because we disagree doesn't mean you should make personal attacks.
    Im not making personal attacks, it is a silly thing to suggest though. The main thing that partys want to do is attract voters. They are not going to attract voters by not bothering with making sure there are jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly. EMA is a tough one, most of the people I knew on it would have gone to college regardless etc, I think its much easier to provide more direct policies e.g. free travel, subsidies for libraries etc
    Yeah i do agree as im a sixth form student and i get £30 a week, it is maily spent on DVD's, clothes or alcohol. So i think that some people are getting it when they really dont need it (like me). However, i do know some people who rely heavily on that money, simply just to get to school and basically live off it.

ReputationRep:
    Good ideas. Im guessing your a tory?
    You get no prizes, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Im not making personal attacks, it is a silly thing to suggest though. The main thing that partys want to do is attract voters. They are not going to attract voters by not bothering with making sure there are jobs.
    Again, what you are suggesting is that government bribe the public with jobs.

What you are suggesting is stupid. You are suggesting that defence and security isn't the priority of government: what the **** do you think government was first established for?

Secondly, you suggest that it is their priority to give jobs to everyone - equally nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Again, what you are suggesting is that government bribe the public with jobs.

What you are suggesting is stupid. You are suggesting that defence and security isn't the priority of government: what the **** do you think government was first established for?

Secondly, you suggest that it is their priority to give jobs to everyone - equally nonsense.
    Firstly, it is not bribing the public to promise them jobs, you need to have votes to get in power, to get these votes you need to gain popularity of the electorate. You are not gaining popularity by not promising things such as jobs.

Secondly, i am not suggesting that the priority of the government is to give jobs to EVERYONE, that would be impossible. It is however, a vital role the government must perform.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone actually have any questions i could ask?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, it is not bribing the public to promise them jobs, you need to have votes to get in power, to get these votes you need to gain popularity of the electorate. You are not gaining popularity by not promising things such as jobs.
    So I was right - you advocate bribing people with their own money.

Secondly, i am not suggesting that the priority of the government is to give jobs to EVERYONE, that would be impossible. It is however, a vital role the government must perform.
    Hardly. If the government ensures a free economy, jobs will follow.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.