The Student Room Group

Speeding ticket from police car?

Okay guys so today i came over the top of the hill doing around 35 in a 30 zone and saw a police car with a white camera on the roof pulled over on the opposite side of the road facing towards me. So obviously i slowed down and carried on as normal as i went past the police car, the vehicle then pulled away and drove off. It looked to me as if it had just pulled over and wasnt doing speed checks but i could be wrong.

I was wondering wether if i had been done for speeding he would of have to pull me over as i went past?

Really worried as i cant have any points on my license as i want to be a paramedic.

Any help appreciated guys!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If he didn't pull you over I wouldn't worry..
probably ANPR, not speeding.
i dont think the police have car mounted speed measuring cameras, just hand held.
Will you slow down in future as a result?

If yes, then I hope it's not a speeding ticket because I wouldn't want your plans to be spoiled by a moment of silliness.
Original post by guitarsam11

Original post by guitarsam11
Okay guys so today i came over the top of the hill doing around 35 in a 30 zone and saw a police car with a white camera on the roof pulled over on the opposite side of the road facing towards me. So obviously i slowed down and carried on as normal as i went past the police car, the vehicle then pulled away and drove off. It looked to me as if it had just pulled over and wasnt doing speed checks but i could be wrong.

I was wondering wether if i had been done for speeding he would of have to pull me over as i went past?

Really worried as i cant have any points on my license as i want to be a paramedic.

Any help appreciated guys!

First of all, my friend is a paramedic and she's does the speed limit now after some of the stuff she's seen while at work - I'm not going to be overbearing or make hugely simplistic arguments, but it's often 30 for a reason.

Secondly, it's probably an ANPR camera, more specifically ones made by a company called PIPS Technology. Roads Policing cars have moving speed measurement devices, but not static ones. If it had been a van it'd be a different story.
Reply 5
You're fine. As long as you aren't driving erratically, police driving around have better things to do than chase after people doing 5mph over the speed limit.
Reply 6
Original post by FXX
You're fine. As long as you aren't driving erratically, police driving around have better things to do than chase after people doing 5mph over the speed limit.

you would hope..:rolleyes:
Reply 7
Don't you have to be going around 10 mph over for them to write out a ticket? It'll have been an ANPR camera as well, so don't worry about it, if you were going to be stopped because of it he would have done it there and then.
Reply 8
Original post by BROMO
you would hope..:rolleyes:

If you aren't driving unsafely, they have no reason to suspect you might be going more than the speed limit :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by FXX
If you aren't driving unsafely, they have no reason to suspect you might be going more than the speed limit :rolleyes:

It was more towards the "police having better things to do"... :tongue:
Reply 10
Cars don't have cameras mounted on top of them, they stand there with a camera 'gun' pointing it at cars. It's the vans which have cameras with someone inside monitoring the oncoming cars.
As someone else said it will be an ANPR, nothing to worry about.
Reply 12
Original post by Shuvel
Don't you have to be going around 10 mph over for them to write out a ticket? It'll have been an ANPR camera as well, so don't worry about it, if you were going to be stopped because of it he would have done it there and then.

10%+2 or 3 in most counties, some are stricter than others.

Most of the South and Midlands is on 10% + 2. But that is just a guideline, the police could pull you below that if you were being a knob, i.e. driving dangerously and hanging off the cars in front rear bumper at 32mph!

35mph is the max in a 30

46mph in a 40

57mph in a 50

68 in a 60

79 in a 70.
Original post by gbduo

Original post by gbduo

Most of the South and Midlands is on 10% + 2. But that is just a guideline, the police could pull you below that if you were being a knob, i.e. driving dangerously and hanging off the cars in front rear bumper at 32mph!

35mph is the max in a 30

46mph in a 40

57mph in a 50

68 in a 60

79 in a 70.

yup those are the 'rule of thumb' guidelines that are usually followed, but not strictly speaking in that sometimes the may be higher, sometimes they may do you for going over. The reason they tend not to too much is to allow for a margin of inaccuracy should it go to court.

OP, pretty sure it would have been ANPR. Generally speaking the means of speed measurement are 1) handheld 'guns', 2) van enclosed cameras 3) in car systems which usually require the police car to be following you.
Original post by gbduo

35mph is the max in a 30

46mph in a 40

57mph in a 50

68 in a 60

79 in a 70.

Nice, new speed limits
I wouldn't put too much faith in the guidelines.

I had a teacher who got sent a NIP for allegedly doing 31 mph in a 30 zone, from a speed handheld speed trap.

Her husband, a solicitor, sent a reply on headed paper.

It was dropped.
Original post by gbduo

35mph is the max in a 30

46mph in a 40

57mph in a 50

68 in a 60

79 in a 70.

Beware! This formula is designed to allow for speedometer inaccuracy. The law assumes that your speedo could be out by as much as 10% so they allow for it. The danger is that if yours is out by that much, then you only have the 2mph to play with... It is far safer and wiser to stick to the speed limit at all times. Apart from the oft-stated dangers of exceeding the speed limit, which I won't reiterate here, in these days of too much traffic on the roads, most of the time speeding actually doesn't get you to your destination any quicker.

p.s. For the record, I enjoy driving at speed and think a lot of speed limits are nonsense but that doesn't mean that I break them.
Reply 17
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Beware! This formula is designed to allow for speedometer inaccuracy. The law assumes that your speedo could be out by as much as 10% so they allow for it. The danger is that if yours is out by that much, then you only have the 2mph to play with... It is far safer and wiser to stick to the speed limit at all times. Apart from the oft-stated dangers of exceeding the speed limit, which I won't reiterate here, in these days of too much traffic on the roads, most of the time speeding actually doesn't get you to your destination any quicker.

p.s. For the record, I enjoy driving at speed and think a lot of speed limits are nonsense but that doesn't mean that I break them.

Yep, as i say, guidelines.
Original post by FXX

This.
I think they would have stopped you at the time if they were going to do anything about it.
Reply 19
Original post by gbduo

35mph is the max in a 30

46mph in a 40

57mph in a 50

68 in a 60

79 in a 70.

I wouldn't take that as a gospel :smile:

That 35mph max in a 30 zone is somewhat off.... it really depends on the location and situation.

Don't ever try that anywhere in Wales or anywhere in the Oxford area.

You've forgotten that the allowance is given upon an assumption that most speedometers aren't 100% accurate and most speed enforcement devices are only accurate to +-5%

The only thing that is accurate to near 1% is the SPECs camera and in Nottingham area I've heard of people being pulled over for doing as little as 2 over on a 30mph zone.

Quick Reply