The Student Room Group

Durham or York for PPE

I just wanted to hear people's advice about which university they would choose to study PPE at specifically between Durham and York. Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
As an average guy off the street with limited knowledge of PPE and both uni's, I'd choose Durham. Make of that what you will :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 3
I don't know a great deal about the Durham course, but I know a lot about the York course (as I'm doing it), so I'll try to help.

I didn't apply to Durham, partly because Durham has a reputation for being particularly disorganised - something which matters a lot when you are studying a course that involves 3 different departments. In fact, I heard rumours back when I was applying that they nearly scrapped the degree in 2009. York on the other hand is very organised - it has a centralised School of PEP that organises the degree, and it's done very well.

The York course is excellent. It has been around since the 80s, and has built up quite a reputation and an alumni network in that time. As far as I know, Durham's course is relatively young compared.

If you'd like more advice, PM me.

I would, however, suggest that you look at the way the courses are structured, and have a think about which city you'd prefer to live in. These will be much more important than any perceived differences in prestige - I don't think there is a difference, anyway.

Quick Reply