The Student Room Group

What would you do if your a jobless graduate a year after graduating?

Let's face it, most of us will be facing this situation in the coming year or so and im dreading not being able to find ANY decent paid respectable job and having to spend months on JSA after graduating :frown:

For those that graduate from average uni's with 2:2's & Thirds, with hardly any work experience, in courses that prospective employer's laugh out loud when they read your CV..... we really have no future :frown:

All I want is a very, very boring office job which pays £15,000 per year. I wouldn't even care if my boss or my collegues don't recognise me i just want a stable job after i graduate and enough to feed myself every day and to keep a roof over my head.

My back up plan is that if i still have'nt found a decent paid job a year after graduating, im going to join the army or become a plumber. Im serious. At least in the Army you get a decent salary.

I've had so many regrets and made so many mistakes I know next year is going to be a depressive one.

Im feeling sad, peniless and have almost no will to live. I just want to give back to others what they've given to me. I feel so helpless. :frown: :frown: :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
If you have a 2:2 or Third with hardly any work experience then its your own damn fault for A. not trying hard enough and B. not getting some work experience.
Original post by 'James Hunt'
Let's face it, most of us will be facing this situation in the coming year or so and im dreading not being able to find ANY decent paid respectable job and having to spend months on JSA after graduating :frown:

For those that graduate from average uni's with 2:2's & Thirds, with hardly any work experience, in courses that prospective employer's will laugh in your face at when they read your CV, we really have no future. :frown:

All I want is a very, very boring office job which pays £15,000 per year. I wouldn't even care if my boss or my collegues don't recognise me i just want a stable job after i graduate and enough to feed myself every day and to keep a roof over my head.

My back up plan is that if i still have'nt found a decent paid job a year after graduating, im going to join the army or become a plumber. Im serious. At least in the Army you get a decent salary.

I've had so many regrets and made so many mistakes I know next year is going to be a depressive one.

Im feeling sad, peniless and have almost no will to live. I just want to give back to others what they've given to me. I feel so helpless. :frown: :frown: :frown:

what is your degree course and classification? And what uni?
Some universities have paid internship programmes for new graduates who have little work experience - I know Manchester's is limited to its own graduates but I heard that others are open to graduates of any university. It would be a start in getting into 'proper' graduate employment.

Failing that I would go after volunteering opportunities that would give you relevant skills for whatever types of graduate roles you are interested in - for example one of my friends volunteered in the office at the local YMCA for 2 months after graduating and then got a job as a marketing assistant on the strength of that experience.
Reply 4
Original post by bloomblaze
what is your degree course and classification? And what uni?

LLB Law.
Im on course for a 2:2
University of Central Lancashire
My only work experience is working when i can for my Dad's plumbing company. Either adminstrative work or the plumbing work itself. It's pathetic I know.

To be honest half way though i didn't like the course but thought i would stick it out. I don't want to go into practice as i wouldn't be able to afford it and my heart is not in it. I would like to become an immigration caseworker, however it is so competetive to get experience and you have to pay fee's to get accreditied,which i can't afford.
(edited 13 years ago)
If this happened to me, it won't (not being big headed, i'm already in a good job part time whilst at uni which I will make full time) I would take any job I could get.

Its easier to get a job once you are in one.
LLB Law.
Im on course for a 2:2
University of Central Lancashire
My only work experience is working when i can for my Dad's plumbing company. Either adminstrative work or the plumbing work itself. It's pathetic I know.

To be honest half way though i didn't like the course but thought i would stick it out. I don't want to go into practice as i wouldn't be able to afford it and my heart is not in it. I would like to become an immigration caseworker, however it is so competetive to get experience and you have to pay fee's to get accreditied,which i can't afford.

out of interest, what would you do differently if you were to relive the past five to ten years? Ie choose a different path??? Different course?? Not go to uni?? Im just curious
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by bloomblaze
out of interest, what would you do differently if you were to relive the past five to ten years? Ie choose a different path??? Different course?? Not go to uni?? Im just curious

I probably would have become an electrician or plumber lol. I know it sounds boring but i actually enjoyed doing plumbing work. I probably should never had went to uni, everyone was forward and i just followed like a sheep and now im 20K in debt. If i worked as a self employed plumber from now on i would have to pay back student finance through the taxman and those three years would be a waste of my life.

I would stettle for an office job which pays £15,000 and work my up slowly. If not then i'll become a self emplyoyed plumber and hide from the taxman. lol. JK
I would like to become an immigration caseworker, however it is so competetive to get experience and you have to pay fee's to get accreditied,which i can't afford.

Find somewhere where you can volunteer that does LSC work - get them to let you use their address when you sit the exams. If you pass first time the LSC pays the cost of the exam back to the organisation so no cost to you.
RAF/Navy because you get all the benefits without being shot.
Reply 10
Original post by SemperVivum
Find somewhere where you can volunteer that does LSC work - get them to let you use their address when you sit the exams. If you pass first time the LSC pays the cost of the exam back to the organisation so no cost to you.

Thanks for the advice.

I was looking into the possibility of doing theis in the summer. Hopefully find an unpaid internship or volunteering opportunity where they will be happy to train my to get my Level 1 accreditation and slowly work my way up.

Im from a legal background and have the ability to understand 4 languages so that should be an advantage.
Reply 11
Original post by d4nny

Can't swim and scared of flying :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Pendulum
If you have a 2:2 or Third with hardly any work experience then its your own damn fault for A. not trying hard enough and B. not getting some work experience.

This.

And perhaps use your own mind next time.

You've already admitted you did a course you hated just because others went to uni.

You live and learn of course, but are you applying for everything & anything?

Plumbing work at your dad's company is not pathetic, it's experience. Which will get you further in life than saying I went to uni for 3 years, did a course I hated because my friends went to the same uni, barely passed and now in £20k debt.

Your CV is going to have to be brilliant though, because you lack a lot in the work experience part. Perhaps upload it here in the CV Help forum?
Reply 13
I would volunteer.
Reply 14
Can't swim and scared of flying :frown:

The budget cuts aren't that bad!

Original post by d4nny

Not strictly true I am afraid, eg: Kate Nesbitt MC
There's always a demand for graduates who want to make money in sales. You can do this part time or from home and make a bit of money on the side.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending