Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hareandhound)
    I think that lots of effeminate men, especially when they have the emo/androgynous style, are very manipulative and trick women into bed, to a far greater extent than most normal guys.

Also they are a certain attraction for an insecure or hyper nurturing girl.
    Yeah, yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe most girls are so stupid and insecure that they can be 'tricked' into sleeping with guys they don't fancy. Or MAYBE being ultra-muscular and strutting around being hyper-masculine just doesn't turn all of us on, and some of us actually find the androgynous style sexy and interesting in its own right. Quite frankly, we're the ones who know what we like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

posted this before, but this appears to be the men women are typically attracted to these days.
    ahahaha this cracks me up, one of my cousins is exactly like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frequent_flyer)
    Obviously I don't advocate anyone starving themselves :eek: but honestly, I think feminate guys are pretty. Feminine clothes such as skinny jeans often accentuate a broad chest and strong jaw, so the guy ends up looking more masculine than if he was wearing a t shirt and baggy jeans.
    The fact you discribe them as pretty says it all.

I would suggest if you can fit into skinny jeans you dont have a broad chest or shoulders unless you just train the upper body which will look even more ridiculous as it will accentuate your skinny legs.

ReputationRep:
    Because those types of women are insecure and go for a guy who would be easy to get. If you go out with a gym type guy then you would have to stay in shape and have a good relationship because guys like that can normally get other girls very easily. BUt with some skinny guy it is a safe call as you can put on some weight and be a bit of a ***** and you know they will stay with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MillerTraub)
    Researchers have found that the pill changes the perception of what women find attractive – and therefore could alter their taste in men.

Experts at Sheffield University believe the effect could lead to a form of "unnatural selection" and to a reduction in genetic compatibility.

It is well established, that women's attractiveness to men and their perceptions of attractiveness fluctuate depending on where they are on their menstrual cycle.
    Just before they ovulate they are more attractive to men, and also find more "manly" men attractive.

However the use of the pill effectively eliminates this cycle and therefore women always prefer the same men throughout the month.

That is they prefer more feminine and homely men – men that are closer to them genetically. If the theory is correct, it could partly explain the difference in looks of today's heart-throbs such as Leonardo DiCaprio, compared to the more chiselled tough guys revered by women before the pill like Kirk Douglas.

The research also suggests that taking the pill after you start seeing someone could damage the long-term prospects of your relationship.
    That could mean women going on the pill after they have met someone suddenly find them less irresistible.
    Oh I thought it was some kind of joke. No I'm not on the pill, I have no need as I'm one of those silly virginity till marriage people. Even if I was though I've had this type since as far back as at least 13. And definitley wasnt on the pill then either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Because those types of women are insecure and go for a guy who would be easy to get. If you go out with a gym type guy then you would have to stay in shape and have a good relationship because guys like that can normally get other girls very easily. BUt with some skinny guy it is a safe call as you can put on some weight and be a bit of a ***** and you know they will stay with you.
    I actually find slimmer guys more of a turn on. I can't help it. I just think they look more chic and refined in and out of their clothes.

I find looking bulky an unattractive trait in a man. I have no problem with athleticism, but I prefer slim athletic types rather than body builder types. It's wrong for me to think in this way but I tend to associate a hyper masculine look with hypermasculine thoughts and I cant stand really stereotypically 'alpha' thinking. I just cant connect emotionally who wants to appear 'manly' all the time. Yuck.

With women, we think about communication, emotion, connection and compatibility. It's not about safe calls. You cant have a happy, lasting relationship with someone you know is a huge compromise. i.e going for someone just because it's easy despite not being attracted to them. Remember women find it very hard to have any sexual relationship with people they find unattractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    I actually find slimmer guys more of a turn on. I can't help it. I just think they look more chic and refined in and out of their clothes.

I find looking bulky an unattractive trait in a man. I have no problem with athleticism, but I prefer slim athletic types rather than body builder types. It's wrong for me to think in this way but I tend to associate a hyper masculine look with hypermasculine thoughts and I cant stand really stereotypically 'alpha' thinking. I just cant connect emotionally who wants to appear 'manly' all the time. Yuck.

With women, we think about communication, emotion, connection and compatibility. It's not about safe calls. You cant have a happy, lasting relationship with someone you know is a huge compromise. i.e going for someone just because it's easy despite not being attracted to them. Remember women find it very hard to have any sexual relationship with people they find unattractive.
    And big/huge cocks.

ReputationRep:

I understand what you are saying, however it is your misconception to deal with. It probably rings far truer for a bodybuilder to be honest due to the narcissistic nature of what they do, however for myself I have always been very large and at 6’1 and some 20stone I compete in strength sports and also rugby for enjoyment. Functionality is far more important than appearance.

I like any man (anybody to be fair) have my moments, and they usually relate to someone bullying someone else. But in general I am oft referred to as a gentle giant or as the girls put it a big softie under a hard exterior.

You see the thing about Alpha that people do not understand is that an Alpha has nothing to prove to anyone, there is no need to throw weight around or to try to dominate people as you are secure in yourself.
    What people refer to as stereotypically Alpha is actually more akin to the Beta male desperate to make a statement for himself or make out he is Alpha without understanding what it means.
    I have had many a young fella come to me in a club or bar talking about who they beat up etc, they almost open the conversation with it – all I think is “idiot!”

Manly is being able to defend your partner, family & beliefs only when necessary then at other times always succumbing to your sons cheeky smile when he asks to sit on your shoulders to be carried.
    Manly is the single dad who can raise his children with respect and integrity.
    Manly is being in touch with your emotions and being equal with all others holding true to your integrity due to not being insecure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    I understand what you are saying, however it is your misconception to deal with. It probably rings far truer for a bodybuilder to be honest due to the narcissistic nature of what they do, however for myself I have always been very large and at 6’1 and some 20stone I compete in strength sports and also rugby for enjoyment. Functionality is far more important than appearance.

I like any man (anybody to be fair) have my moments, and they usually relate to someone bullying someone else. But in general I am oft referred to as a gentle giant or as the girls put it a big softie under a hard exterior.

You see the thing about Alpha that people do not understand is that an Alpha has nothing to prove to anyone, there is no need to throw weight around or to try to dominate people as you are secure in yourself.
    What people refer to as stereotypically Alpha is actually more akin to the Beta male desperate to make a statement for himself or make out he is Alpha without understanding what it means.
    I have had many a young fella come to me in a club or bar talking about who they beat up etc, they almost open the conversation with it – all I think is “idiot!”

Manly is being able to defend your partner, family & beliefs only when necessary then at other times always succumbing to your sons cheeky smile when he asks to sit on your shoulders to be carried.
    Manly is the single dad who can raise his children with respect and integrity.
    Manly is being in touch with your emotions and being equal with all others holding true to your integrity due to not being insecure.

best post in thread :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    Because of the attitude you hold which is what most manly men seem to have.

Feminine men can be more sensitive towards women and can understand why for example most women need ages to get ready and really take pride in their looks, because these type of men themselves try to make sure they look respectable and agreeable in public. Most of them don't have vulgur language and they generally seem more kind and less sexist.

Not saying manly men don't look respectable in looks but obviously feminine men take more time in getting themselves ready to go out in public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roloqueen)
    Yeah, yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe most girls are so stupid and insecure that they can be 'tricked' into sleeping with guys they don't fancy. Or MAYBE being ultra-muscular and strutting around being hyper-masculine just doesn't turn all of us on, and some of us actually find the androgynous style sexy and interesting in its own right. Quite frankly, we're the ones who know what we like.
    If you're tricked into something, I fail to see how that is indictive of insecurity or being stupid.

Why take things to extremes? I'm not taking about hyper masculine and ultra muscly and strutting. I'm talking about the sort of guy that tends to be most attractive and gets the best girls - muscular, athletic, secure, masculine, confident, successful. Most effeminate men are the opposite - unfit, insecure, not confident, effeminate, unsuccessful. Why would a girl want someone like that? Unless they have the same traits or they are tricked into sex.

ReputationRep:
    Remeber these men are only feminine LOOKING their behaviour and attitude is still that of a ********, they dress that way for style not because it appeals to their deep seated femininity. I mean seriously empty frame glasses wtf. They are often the most condescending, rude, drugged up and arrogant (even when wrong) people (not all of them but a lot of them are like this) I know, and I feel real sorry for their girlfriends because they dote on them even when they treat them like **** because he is 'cool'.

I'm not saying that I am some paragon either by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhinger)
    I live in Hong Kong
    Troll too soon. Too soon.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people in this thread seem to have confused looking manly with being a douche. You can be incredibly masculine and still be a nice person. You can look like this
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?source=i...WOQVYuTQnHCNgQ
    And be a ****. At the end of the day we should probably all grow up a little and stop judging by appearances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hareandhound)
    If you're tricked into something, I fail to see how that is indictive of insecurity or being stupid.

Why take things to extremes? I'm not taking about hyper masculine and ultra muscly and strutting. I'm talking about the sort of guy that tends to be most attractive and gets the best girls - muscular, athletic, secure, masculine, confident, successful. Most effeminate men are the opposite - unfit, insecure, not confident, effeminate, unsuccessful. Why would a girl want someone like that? Unless they have the same traits or they are tricked into sex.
    The list of traits that you've put together in your description of the 'sort of guy that tends to be most attractive and gets the best girls' is deeply flawed. It reflects the kind of things that men expect women to find attractive, not the kind of things they necessarily find attractive in reality. It also isn't a list of traits that necessarily go together.

Muscular and athletic guys are not necessarily any more 'successful' than unfit and more effeminate-looking ones. They won't necessarily have better qualifications or better jobs. They won't necessarily be more attractive either, as it's possible to be in great shape with a not-so-great face. Muscles and gym-time aren't enough to make a guy sexy or interesting by themselves. Nor is confidence necessarily an attractive trait - sure, some confidence is appealing, but not many people want to go out with an arrogant ****er who's going to treat them like ****. All of this so-called 'alpha male' stuff often acts as a turn-off in practice, or is just plain boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSI_10)

Oh look another fool.

Goodbye, whoever the hell you guys are.
    whats wrong with my post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roloqueen)
    The list of traits that you've put together in your description of the 'sort of guy that tends to be most attractive and gets the best girls' is deeply flawed. It reflects the kind of things that men expect women to find attractive, not the kind of things they necessarily find attractive in reality. It also isn't a list of traits that necessarily go together.
    I'm talking about the sort of guy that tends to be most attractive and gets the best girls - muscular, athletic, secure, masculine, confident, successful.
    The best girls don't find secure guys attractive? What sort of disordered person wants someone who is insecure.

Why wouldn't you want someone who is muscular and athletic. Both indicate good health, good fitness, and people who exercise a lot are at a lower risk of illness, tend to be in a better mood, tend to be more self motivated. They also indicate self respect, but that goes back to the question 'why would you want someone who is insecure?'.

Why wouldn't a women want someone masculine. Most women are attracted to men lol, not men with female personalities.

Why wouldn't a women want someone confident, especially if she is a secure, confident person. Not confident people tend to be indesicive, difficult to have a relationship with, and are very ineffective communicators, not good at relationships.

Why wouldn't a women want someone successful? Success means more money, more friends, and an easier life. Success academically and in the workplace indicates good inter and intra personal skills as well, which are very beneficial to a good relationship.

It's a list of traits that do go together lol, most of them are interlinked.

Muscular and athletic guys are not necessarily any more 'successful' than unfit and more effeminate-looking ones. They won't necessarily have better qualifications or better jobs. They won't necessarily be more attractive either, as it's possible to be in great shape with a not-so-great face. Muscles and gym-time aren't enough to make a guy sexy or interesting by themselves. Nor is confidence necessarily an attractive trait - sure, some confidence is appealing, but not many people want to go out with an arrogant ****er who's going to treat them like ****. All of this so-called 'alpha male' stuff often acts as a turn-off in practice, or is just plain boring.
    Nothing is necessarily anything,there will always be exceptions. The point is, confidence, muscles, athleticism are all indictive of a set of traits that leads to success and is very attractive. There isn't any point taking the individual characteristics and analysing them on their own - with people and attractiveness, the sum of parts is greater that the parts themselves. The qualities I listed above make an attractive person, the qualities that tend to be in effeminate men tend not to make an attractive whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Troll too soon. Too soon.
    I am from Hong Kong...

(Original post by Charlottelisabeth)
    Because of the attitude you hold which is what most manly men seem to have.

Most of them don't have vulgur language and they generally seem more kind and less sexist.

Not saying manly men don't look respectable in looks but obviously feminine men take more time in getting themselves ready to go out in public.
    Oh, sorry for destroying your day with the swear words. And no, I will not look at myself in the mirror for about half an hour making sure my hair looks just about right and that my shirt clearly shows my left nip.

Really? Wow I never knew. No actually, no **** sherlock. Don't think that women are the only ones who prioritize attractiveness, men do too. And it's not like masculine men don't care about a woman's emotions, ffs. You've clearly never been with one.

(Original post by MSI_10)
    Oh, shut up you stereotypical b****

Ever heard of a difference in CULTURE and SOCIETY.

Fools, I'm not surpsied with all these damn 'ideologies' that seemed to be forced onto being considered 'normal'.

You know what it leads to? PREJUDICE.

I don't get it.

Speak English.

(Original post by itoedaso)
    Well someones a douche.
    u mad just cos i get girls

brah?

(Original post by espada00)
    im from hong kong as well and yes there are tons of these....creatures trudging about

we call them the "locals", those of us who do not succumb to this strange japanese wannabe obsession, we call ourselves the "internationals", im not sure why, but its a common demonym that is used to separate the two massively distinct cultures

one reason the locals dress like this is due to genes, us orientals tend to have a much thinner bone structure, hence that fashion trend is developed to fit that body type

it would be just as bad to see one of us in clothes 4 sizes too big if the wearer was intending to make himself look bigger, which does exactly the opposite

the other reason is well....the obsession with japanese culture, this sort of trend originated in japan with those rebel, emo, rocker types, the fringe over the hair thing is meant to symbolise a....disturbed, sinister, o-so-tragic-please-pity-me demeanor, in other words, "cool"

they also tend to put bright highlights in their hair to make them look more "unique", since oriental hair has one and only one configuration - black and straight

frankly, theyre vile, but i may be biased, speaking from an "international" perspective
    Lol'd because of how true it is.

Unfortunately the androgynous style has taken over the Chinese students at international schools too here.

No racism intended...

ReputationRep:
    I am from Hong Kong...

Really? Wow I never knew. No actually, no **** sherlock. Don't think that women are the only ones who prioritize attractiveness, men do too. And it's not like masculine men don't care about a woman's emotions, ffs. You've clearly never been with one.
    Well if you're respresenting the masculine camp, you're kinda just reinforcing my opinions with the tone of your post. I think the way you come across is unecessarily rude. There are other ways to present an opposing opinion without swearing and being aggressive.

Well a lot more men tend to lower their standards in order to get laid, so I was just pointing out that most women don't do that because a previous poster said that certain women go for androgynous men just because they can't get a man who looks masculine. You ignored the context of my post.

I didn't say masculine looking men don't care about a woman's emotions. I said that masculine men tend to be more preoccupied with appearing manly i.e not showing their emotions on the surface, tend to have a lot more 'blokey' outlook and seem to rate 'lad-ness'. It's all to do with connection, sensitivity and understanding.

I don't think I would be able to connect emotionally with someone who was really hard on the surface, even if they were soft on the inside. Reason being that I want to be with someone who is open with their thoughts and able to articulate themselves openly, deeply and philosophically.

Men with typically effeminate behavioural traits just tend to get on with me easier and also tend to be more understanding. I like that.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Hong Kong, and **** me, there are way, way, way too many effeminate men.

What's shocking? Some women are actually going for these "men". Skinny jeans, long hair with fringes, nose piercings, skinny arms, you name any feminine characteristics, and BOOM these men have 'em.

Now, I'm not saying women aren't attracted to masculine/alpha males who go to the gym (and work out with weights, not going on the cycling machine reading a magazine and at a speed of about 2 km/h), obviously not.

But why on earth would a woman want to be courted by a "man" who is almost no less womanly?
    BOOBS

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.