Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My old hard drive is formatted to windows and i want to format it to my Mac so i can play around with bootcamp and play some old games

Ive tried formatting it on windows but it still pops up as read only windows whatever.. what am i missing?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried the HD on Mac OS yet? If it's FAT32 it will work on both Windows and Mac, a lot of portable hard drives come in that format as standard.

ReputationRep:
    To reformat it use Disk Utility. After launching Disk Utility select the hard drive you're reformating, then click on Erase tab, and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the popdown menu. That should do it (That's if you want to boot OS X from it)

Mac can't write to NTFS (which is best for Windows), but it can write to Fat32 (but it won't boot from it). It can read both, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Ill give it a go tomorrow, ty peeps!

ReputationRep:
    Hang on. You weren't trying to format the drive from within Windows, whilst you were booted from it, were you? That would explain why it said read-only.

Before you format it in Disk Utility, as suggested, remember that any data on the drive will be lost. Furthermore, if it's an external hard drive, don't forget that Boot Camp won't work.

Hope that helps .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 31, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.