Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks,
    I'm starting a Geography degree in September and have never studied it before. I'm hoping to get a bit of a head start, so can anyone recommend any books or documentaries or anything that would be worth having a look at? I've asked the uni for a reading list months ago but it never materialised, any help would be much appreciated, thanks
    Rich

ReputationRep:
    Check Amazon for books on Geography. Personally I cannot recommend any as I assume you're taking it at University (or equivalent).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i've got one or two off Amazon already, just wondered if theres any really juicy ones out there - not necessarily specific to degree level? Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raving_rich)
    Yeah i've got one or two off Amazon already, just wondered if theres any really juicy ones out there - not necessarily specific to degree level? Many thanks
    Where are you studying Geography? Are you interested in Human or Physical?

ReputationRep:
    Northampton, well I enrolled on the general geography degree as I quite enjoy both

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Geography is brilliant for A Level and above. Nelson Thorne and Phillip Alan books are decent for the AQA specific courses.

ReputationRep:
    I still have my copy of Fundamentals of the Physical Environment by Smithson et al. (I actually bought it at the beginning of my PGCE as recommended so I could brush up on my physical geog). Only read a bit of it, but it actually explains things quite well, and my friend (who did do more of the physical stuff at uni) has used it for their course.

Before actually going to uni as an undergrad I didn't do any reading to do with geog. Any books I needed I got from the library.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, i'll get both books i think- it's amazing how cheap they are on amazon. Just finished Geography for dummies which was very helpful, I recommend that for starters if anyone else is in the same boat as me. Really looking forward to September, but I bet most people have probably done geography at GCSE and A level too so I need to prepare myself.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks chaps, both books are cracking. Will update this thread if i find anything else useful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.