Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey music lovers!!

If you had to pick the two most influential bands/singers of the past 50/60 years or so who would they be??

I personally think The Beatles and Joy Division as both of them changed the face of rock music and virtually invented new genres.

What do you guys think??

ReputationRep:
    The beatles, many will say how cliche and how they are over rated this is arrogant and disrespectful to the birth of rock music, remember at this time guitars were thought to be obsolete in music, they inspired thousands.

And i also think Pink floyd, for their mellow, prog rock sound.

ReputationRep:
    Discharge (influenced Slayer, Metallica, and pretty much started the d-beat style of drumming that has been present in many metal and punk bands for years. Many bands such as Sepultura, Anthrax, Nasum and Machine Head have covered Discharge songs) and Black Sabbath (I should need not to explain this).

ReputationRep:
    the beatles and black sabbath. Doesn't need explaining

van halen and acdc would also be pretty sound bets for hard rock as well, they are massive and well loved.

ReputationRep:
    'Killing Joke' are considerably under-rated for their influence on modern Rock music. They've been cited as a major influence by a number of bands that have all gone on to become hugely popular (including the likes of Nirvana, Metallica, Tool, Porcupine Tree, KoRn, Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, Jane's Addiction, and more).

The Experimental Rock group 'CAN' were also very influential on a number of genres that they defined the stylistic origins for throughout their body of work; this includes Post-Punk, New Wave, Trip-Hop, Alternative Rock, Post-Rock, Ambient, Progressive-Rock, Alternative Metal, Industrial, Trance, Dance, and Electro.

ReputationRep:
    Despite what people say about them, nobody can argue that Blink-182 are not influential. Them and Green Day completely changed modern pop punk and incorporated it into the mainstream

ReputationRep:
    Bad Brains, for all hardcore

ReputationRep:
    The Beatles and The Smiths. Beatles for pop and The Smiths for all the landfill 'indie' that is ubiquitously regurgitated.

'Blink 182 and Greenday' HAHAHA.

ReputationRep:
    The Byrds are largely overlooked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrea03)
    The beatles, many will say how cliche and how they are over rated this is arrogant and disrespectful to the birth of rock music, remember at this time guitars were thought to be obsolete in music, they inspired thousands.

And i also think Pink floyd, for their mellow, prog rock sound.
    Surely Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Elvis.

ReputationRep:
    The Specials
    The Smiths
    The Cure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Surely Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Elvis.
    This.
    ~

The Beatles were influential, yes, but it's not like they invented the guitar...

ReputationRep:
    The Smiths
    Joy Division

Firstly, they are my biggest influences and, secondly, most bands I listen to note them down as influences.

ReputationRep:
    The Beatles and Black Sabbath. Easy.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.