Smoked Salmon
    Oysters
    Lobster
    (NICE) Steak

Pauper Foods:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Johnny's Onion Rings

Alongside a bunch of other cheapy crisps like Space Raiders and Transform-a-snack - there's something about cheap crisps that make them so much more amazing than premium crisps!

OMG I forgot about Johnny's Crisps! My friend in junior school always had them, and the slogan on the packet was 'Crying out with flavour!' which I found hilarious for some reason. Like it was trying way too hard, and since when did crisps 'cry out' with anything?

My pauper foods are:

I always feel disgusting and fat after eating them, but cheap Mac 'n Cheese is the ultimate comfort food.

And I can't find pictures for these (for good reason!) but when I get peckish I go to the corner shop down my road and buy these bags of cheap crisps made by a totally unheard-of brand. They're like giant round wotsits and you get a huge bag for 99p. And I eat them all. In front of Jeremy Kyle or Bargain Hunt. I'M AN ANIMAL

My Prince food is of course, sushi.

It's like nothing else on earth. And it's actually pretty good for you. I could seriously live off the stuff (as long as I was allowed the occasional cheap crisps and instant Mac 'n Cheese )

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, I know - CRYING out with flavour. He is literally in TEARS, he can't even CONTAIN his emotion for the flavour! Good ol' Johnny's Onion Rings. Johnny's Bacon Rings were immense too also made you suffer from Baco-burps!

ReputationRep:
    Another "Pauper" food that tastes incredible is, when you go to LIDL/ALDI and get those really cheap tall chocolate/strawberry desserts that're kinda like angel-delight-meets-creme-caramel in consistency, topped with cream. They come in clear, tall yoghurt pots with a metal foil lid - anyone know what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbain)
    Where can you buy the Cerelac?
    Most halal meat stores and.... Asda strangely enough.

ReputationRep:
    Another "Pauper" food that tastes incredible is, when you go to LIDL/ALDI and get those really cheap tall chocolate/strawberry desserts that're kinda like angel-delight-meets-creme-caramel in consistency, topped with cream. They come in clear, tall yoghurt pots with a metal foil lid - anyone know what I mean?
    These?

This was the only pic I could find but we used to have the Asda Smartprice version when we were younger. I think it's more of a blancmange.

ReputationRep:
    They're totally similar to Delice, but they're like non-branded EVEN CHEAPER versions! But yea, totally.

For some reason I totally love the consistency of these, they taste like awesome! They're so rich and satisfying but like, a mixture of jelly-esque pannacotta and tasty yoghurt....

ReputationRep:
    I don't really eat cheap food. But I don't really eat expensive food either, but then again yesterday I had lunch in John Lewis and ate later at McDonalds (which is very rare for me).

ReputationRep:
    PAUPER:

Ko Lee Noodles. They're a finer noodle, like Singapore style noodles, and taste utterly incredible, but at an Asian supermarket I can pick these up for PENNIES.

PRINCE:

Easter Eggs!! Obviously not an everyday purchase.However, think about it - for the amount of chocolate you get, Easter Eggs are fairly extortionate at RRP, but for some reason, they're irresistible!

ReputationRep:
    PRINCE:

Easter Eggs!! Obviously not an everyday purchase.However, think about it - for the amount of chocolate you get, Easter Eggs are fairly extortionate at RRP, but for some reason, they're irresistible!
    I was discussing this with my sister last night, how Sainsburys are mega sneaky with them. The smallish ones, that come with say 2 Kitkat Chunkies, or 2 Creme Eggs, started off at £1 each. Bargain, thought I. Many, bought I. Then they put them up to 3 for £5, then before we know it they'll be £2.50 each! Cheeky.

ReputationRep:
    PAUPER:

Ko Lee Noodles. They're a finer noodle, like Singapore style noodles, and taste utterly incredible, but at an Asian supermarket I can pick these up for PENNIES.
    Ko Lee noodles are the BOMB!

Forget your inferior sludge that is "supernoodles" - a misnomer if I've ever heard one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Ko Lee noodles are the BOMB!

Forget your inferior sludge that is "supernoodles" - a misnomer if I've ever heard one!
    I know, right? I think it's something to do with the thickness (or... thinness, rather) of the noodle that makes all the difference to be honest, although the curry variety I pictured takes a lot of beating in general - it actually tastes like curry, unlike the Bachelor's equivalent!

ReputationRep:
    Prince:

These are high quality and low volume crisps, residing behind a bar near you, but fairly hefty priced.

PAUPER:

Morrisons variety crisps - they really punch above their weight.

edit: just realised the morrisons crisps are actually rice cakes, but the packagaing is identical to morrisons crisps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Prince:

These are high quality and low volume crisps, residing behind a bar near you, but fairly hefty priced.
    59p where I work innit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    59p where I work innit.
    I'm pretty certain they cost around a quid in some pubs round here, even 80p in shops. I would devour a multipack of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Pauper food:
    30p for ~35 biscuits; that's less than 1p per custard cream. And they taste the same as more expensive brands! NOM

Princ(ess) food:

Although I'm happy with a bog standard doughnut, there's just something about Krispey Kreme which is so good :sogood: At ~£1.20 a doughnut they are not cheap (I could get 10 for that amount in Sainsburys). So worth it though :sogood:
    ah snap on both!
    only i sometimes go even cheaper on the biccys... my boyfriend works away every wed so brings me all the free ones from the hotel and the tea love it

also
    pauper:
    supermarkets own salt n vingegar crisps - loovveeee! way better
    Morrisons bread rolls - the pick and mix ones, sooo tasty esp the cheese and onion ones
    we have pizza night on a monday, £1 for a pack of pepperoni slices which last several weeks, and a red onion for topping, pizza dough mix 33p, tin of value chopped tomatoes for sauce (does 3 pizzas), and cheese(which i have problems using, i usually have 1 block of cheese a semester) = yummy pizza for pennies

prince:
    chorizo, goats cheese, puff pastry (< all 3 put together = heaven!)
    green and blacks chocolate mmmmmm!
    tasty drink from demijohn
    x

ReputationRep:
    Prince - innocent smoothies

Pauper - basics tomato pasta sauce, awesome for lazy spaghetti dishes and dirt cheap

ReputationRep:
    Pauper foods -
    Mushrooms - tastes gorgeous cooked!
    Tesco Soya Milk - tastes takes getting used to but is just as good!

Prince foods -Alpro Soya desserts - gorgeous!! Way better than Shape Desserts
    Spelga Crumble - chunky apple bits in a sweet yogurt with biscuit crumble need I say more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Prince food: [IMG]

Pauper food:
    Go to Sainsburys. Go to the bakery section. Buy yourself a couple of cheese twists. My god, these things are delicious. And at two for £1 they are cheap as well.
    dont ever read the nutritional information on boxes of cheese twists. If it doesnt give you a heart attack the saturated fat will :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Prince:

PAUPER:

Morrisons variety crisps - they really punch above their weight.

edit: just realised the morrisons crisps are actually rice cakes, but the packagaing is identical to morrisons crisps.

(Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    59p where I work innit.
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/smit...-retail/918557

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.